Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM

34 posts, read 47,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol. I'm just following this thread and laughing.

OP, take the Schenectady Avenue side next time. Longer walk, but much less people.
Thanks. Maybe less riff raff too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengarry666 View Post
Thanks. Maybe less riff raff too.
But see if you were accustomed to living in the hood you wouldn't take my advice to walk a longer way just because people bothering you for swipes - that's my point. You have fun though. I live in the hood, and I go where I want. Cause nobody gonna tell me nothing, this is my block. I go to the ATM outside the store, 2, 3 AM if I feel like it. And I'm not a big guy but I don't give a F. Do you feel comfortable doing that there yet???

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
I think we are going to read about Glen on a news within the next few months

Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengarry666 View Post
But then he'd catch me swiping it.
That's why you have to be quicker! Swipe fast to get to the safe side, then run for the train

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
But see if you were accustomed to living in the hood you wouldn't take my advice to walk a longer way just because people bothering you for swipes - that's my point. You have fun though. I live in the hood, and I go where I want.
Me, too. Important to stand your ground. And it's not as though someone will assault you for a swipe, or I have not heard of this. It's just one of these annoying things.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
You want someone to feel sorry for you?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
With the high cost of public transportation ($2.50 one way is ridiculous to me and just speaks to the greed of this city), the over abundance of low-paying jobs for the average person, and a high percentage of poverty-stricken Blacks and Latinos, ... I'm more convinced than ever that Satan is behind the whole financial structure of NYC. I bet the underground corporate headquarters of every criminal element in the world is based here: mafia, sex-traffickers, child trafficking, slavery, drug cartels, bank robbers, money forfeiters, profiteers of the prison industry, sweat-shops, etc. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one were to exposed the underground subway tunnels and basements around the City Hall it would open to reveal a large fiery furnace with the face of the Devil holding bags and bags of unpaid wages while howling out in laughter like at the end of Thriller.
I thought the OP's posts were stupid. Then, I read yours.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM

122 posts, read 293,709 times
I really don't understand why this is happening to you. I have lived in crown heights before. I lived in jamaica, queens before and now live in harlem. No one has every harassed me and I am a 4'11 tiny person. I assume they wouldn't harass a man. My husband who is white and equipped with absolutely no street smarts at all has never been harassed even though we lived in all of those bad areas. And the police refused to help you? Someone said use the schenectady entrance or the stop before that on the 3 train I think it is kingston. You will be fine and tell them you already have a metrocard and do not need a swipe.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM

143 posts, read 298,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is not that common..but once in awhile, depending on the station, you do get people of all ages asking for a swipe. I rarely see kids asking for a swipe..I usually see grown, healthy (looking) adults asking....almost always men.

A couple of times I witnessed someone asking people on the platform and have been asked myself to open the exit door so they can bypass the turnstile & come directly into the platform. I refused but have seen other people give in and open the door for them. I've also seen people jump the turnstile and the person inside the token booth turn a blind eye. Now I see cops at some stations and yep, there's a line of people who've just been arrested.

Last edited by AprilSkies; 12-10-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM

143 posts, read 298,964 times
Quote:
And you want to go live in the hood....pshhhh!

That's the least of your troubles if you're not accustomed to that. I have no problem with people moving to new neighborhoods that are hood, but if you have no experience living in the hood, it's not a wise decision! These are things you will have to get accustomed to! Let's see how you react the first night you hear gunshots outside - and you happen to be outside! Happened to me once before - not where I live now, but around my old way.

Come back to me after next Labor Day weekend and tell me if you're still in love with Carroll Street.
My first experience with gunshots and being outside was when I was at the Woodrow Houses? (I forget the name, the project that's located upper east side Manhattan) with a friend visiting her mom who lives there when I heard something loud. I turned to my friend and she said wearily, those are gunshots. Amazing I didn't freak out. Maybe because my friend sounded so casual. More weary than scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City