Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Those were the attackers? Thought it was dark when it happened?
Sigh. It was a joke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But where one with something that looked like a badge with three letters on it (per one of the interviews)?
A joke!
Quote:
People have been hating Jews for more than 2,014 years.
Probably 5,774 years.
http://www.chabad.org/calendar/view/month.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
But that's not "Jewish privilege", it's a normal reaction because of reputation. The reason people find it
more difficult to fathom because statistically your average Jewish are in fact less likely to commit street
crimes like assault and robbery. On the other hand, the Shomrims also have an reputation of overzealous behavior with "outsiders" in their neighborhoods.
Actually it's the Shmira who are the extremists, but the Shomrim usually get the blame because they work in the open and are seen.

older article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/nyregion/thecity/01patr.html?_r=0
which is related to this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/da-deal-jews-accused-attack-black-man-crown-heights-article-1.328648
And thus this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/jewish-leaders-blast-move-extradite-crown-heights-hasidic-man-yitzhak-shucat-charged-hate-crime-article-1.984186

Old 12-14-2013, 01:54 PM

http://whoisshmira.wordpress.com/yitzhak-shuchat/
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=22983
freeyitzi.org
"NOTICE: This domain name expired on 11/17/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/freey...70?sk=page_map
http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/fai...oklyn-123.html
Doesn't look like he's been extradited:
http://www.shmais.com/chabad-news/la...in-kfar-chabad

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-14-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 02:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
And now we're down to one attacker with unknown ethnicity:

Police Initially Prematurely Closed Case Involving Alleged Hassidic Assailants Of Taj Patterson, Black Student -- Mother | Black Star News

Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And now we're down to one attacker with unknown ethnicity
"The 90 precinct's report indicates that the witnesses said there was one assailant; and it states that the suspect's sex was "unknown"; the skin tone, complexion, eye color, date of birth and hair style are also "unknown." A section that asks whether the suspect abuses drugs or alcohol is marked "no"; and, a section asking whether the suspect threatened/attempted suicide is marked "yes""
You think the report is also accurate, if it states that the unidentified & non-apprehended suspect threatened or attempted to commit suicide?
"the police report says there was a camera across from the location of the attack."
It will be most helpful, if there actually is some usable video. Often, such videos lack focus and are grainy. Occasionally, they can be enhanced, but not always.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Quote:
Well, not really. It says the police are searching for one suspect but that the victim states that it was a group that attacked him. These days I don't find the NYPD any more believable than unknown victims. Could be a group or it could be one attacker.

In the section of this article that says the police report indicates "the witnesses said there was one assailant," it also says the suspect threatened/attempted suicide. Huh? The suspect attempted suicide? That makes me question the validity of the entire police report. I don't think the police were really paying attention when they took down the details from the victim.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
I myself have been harassed by this "watchgroup" late late on a Saturday night well over a decade ago when I lived in Williamsburg. They practically chased me down and started chastising me for how I was dressed (a short skirt). It was kind of scary actually.

They did not yell at me in Yiddish either. It was English. This was around 2000 when the area was still in the early stages of gentrification.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:03 PM

195 posts, read 305,054 times
Quote:
Do you really wonder why? People have been hating Jews for more than 2,014 years.
Regardless of how long they've been hated it doesn't justify holding them in higher regard than anyone else.

Quote:
Lets see it's after 4am on a Sunday Morning and its in the low 30's outside. Even at this point no Hasid is going to be out since the Sabbath ended the evening before and basically 10pm is their bedtime. Since Hasids don't mix with any other groups how would they even know if he was gay. And another thing especially to Hasids, if they yelled anything it would have been in Yiddish. So what's more odd is that is none of the interviews does this person mention hearing a language he did not understand.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKhgBy...%3DFEKhgBye5K0

Obviously, your point about them speaking only Yiddish is invalid.

Secondly, I'm not sure of their cultural practices, but I'm certain of one thing: if there's a rule, there is at least one person breaking it. From my understanding the articles hint towards the attackers being apart of the shomrim, making it plausible that they were out after their "bedtime"...to "protect their neighborhood".

Quote:
Ok, so according to the articles you posted it is not a stretch to believe a group of extremist hasidic jews were the perpetrators and pose a flight risk because they feel being held accountable for their predatory behavior is considered making an example out of them and the whole Jewish community, correct?

All I'm saying is that we all need to accept there's a strong possibility it was jews and hold them just as accountable if this were black on white, straight on gay, Muslim on Christian crime and stop making excuses.

Now if this group attacked the same people two played the knockout game, I'd quietly turn my head the other way. A group attacked a drunken person walking alone, that's not ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
His attorney really had the gumption to think saying his client would fear for his life in prison was worth even repeating? I'm sure all the rapists, murderers, child abusers, and others that have committed hate crimes feel the same way; at least he can use those same skills he did on that boy while incarcerated to protect his life.

Quote:
I call shenanigans...

Last edited by laryenhilllvr; 12-14-2013 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 05:10 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,066,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
Regardless of how long they've been hated it doesn't justify holding them in higher regard than anyone else.
Apparently it does, look what Israel is doing with it's settlement plans. Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-16-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
Do you really think Jews are held with a higher regard than anyone else? Most places on this world or even this country do not have Jews. But even with their small numbers, they still probably have fewer felony assaults in proportion to their population. So should we assume that they are just as likely to commit a street crime in NYC than other types of people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City