Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Residents don't want to give up their larger apartments for smaller units and are ready for a fight.

Schomburg Plaza tenants fight policy that forces them to downsize - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Greedy people who most likely been on section 8 for years and years. They get to live across from Central Park partly on the tax payer dime. If they feel they need that 3 bedroom for a family of four then pay yourself or down grade to a 2 bedroom.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
When I was a kid I shared a bedroom with my brother (bunk beds)that was about the size of a walk in closet.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
That's kinda foul.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
That's kinda foul.
From what angle?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
I can see if it's a family with kids that moved out and the kids are no longer there and its just the husband and wife living in a 3 bedroom. That's a valid argument....

....but the article mentions a family of 4 still in a 3 bedroom apartment getting downsized to a 2 bedroom. The parents have a room and the kids have a room each...that's such a bad thing to let them stay?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I can see if it's a family with kids that moved out and the kids are no longer there and its just the husband and wife living in a 3 bedroom. That's a valid argument....

....but the article mentions a family of 4 still in a 3 bedroom apartment getting downsized to a 2 bedroom. The parents have a room and the kids have a room each...that's such a bad thing to let them stay?
Not really.

Public and or subsidized housing is not a right. There are plenty of middle class and above families paying market rent that would love one bedroom for each child plus a master for themselves, but they have to deal with what they can afford.

NYCHA for instance does not award bedrooms based upon strictly the number of children. If you have two boys and one girl living with a single mother that family just might find itself in a two bedroom. Mother and daughter bunk together and the boys in the other bedroom.

Both in Section 8 and NYCHA you find many single or couples in large two or more apartments that refuse to give them up. Some use the extra space for family members when they come to visit. Others because the husband and wife prefer or wish to have separate bedrooms. Still more IIRC rent out the extra space for cash.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:

If theyre a rich family absolutely not. Since theyre poor, esp poor people who are not white, its a horibble thing to let them stay! they dont deserve a place to live! Put those poor, lazy, welfare collecting, no job having section 8 vampires on the street!!!!!

......least thats how most people on these boards would see it ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not really.

Public and or subsidized housing is not a right. There are plenty of middle class and above families paying market rent that would love one bedroom for each child plus a master for themselves, but they have to deal with what they can afford.

NYCHA for instance does not award bedrooms based upon strictly the number of children. If you have two boys and one girl living with a single mother that family just might find itself in a two bedroom. Mother and daughter bunk together and the boys in the other bedroom.

Both in Section 8 and NYCHA you find many single or couples in large two or more apartments that refuse to give them up. Some use the extra space for family members when they come to visit. Others because the husband and wife prefer or wish to have separate bedrooms. Still more IIRC rent out the extra space for cash.
Says who? U want a spike in homeless people living on the street? Cuz the shelters are already overcrowded......

To me, this is nothing more than to plant the seeds of gentrification.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You missed the first part of my post where I said in instances like this, I agree that the apartment should be downsized. I don't understand why Section 8 and Schomburg would give a family of 4 a 3 bedroom apartment, only to downsize them after they've moved in. Something does not sound right, or is missing from the story. From the article:

"Another resident, Jose Morales, says he’s being asked to move his family of four from their cozy three-bedroom pad to a two-bedroom, and he’s not having it."

How did this family of four get a 3 bedroom in the first place?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
You missed the first part of my post where I said in instances like this, I agree that the apartment should be downsized. I don't understand why Section 8 and Schomburg would give a family of 4 a 3 bedroom apartment, only to downsize them after they've moved in. Something does not sound right, or is missing from the story. From the article:

"Another resident, Jose Morales, says he’s being asked to move his family of four from their cozy three-bedroom pad to a two-bedroom, and he’s not having it."

How did this family of four get a 3 bedroom in the first place?
Section 8 voucher residents of the East Harlem complex must move into a smaller apartment; Department of Housing Preservation and Development says changes were prompted by federal cuts.

Read more: Schomburg Plaza tenants fight policy that forces them to downsize - NY Daily News

There's 40 million dollar budget hole in Section 8 next year which comes from 2013 federal budget cuts. Oh, there will be more cuts in 2014.

Food stamps are being cut as well.

NYC's welfare industrial complex was made possible by the federal government in the beginning, and now they are eliminating it.

NYC has record homelessness and it will get a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City