Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,980,045 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people may not like cold winters in NYC, but I am somehow looking forward to experiencing some single-digit temperature days ahead. Happy Cold New Year to all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Besides, many NYers will get an extra day off tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Its so immature to be excited about single digit temperatures. There are homeless on the streets, people who receive inadequate heat, and the elderly that suffer when the temps go down that low.

You should be ashamed of yourself but you wont be OP...you'll be sipping on your hot Starbucks while homeless people of color are frozen solid.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
I am not looking forward to it at all.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Besides, many NYers will get an extra day off tomorrow.
This may come as a shock but many persons had to work both days after Christmas and New Years. If the storm is *really* bad some places may close tomorrow, but the usual MO is to open and tell persons to get in when or if they can.

Obviously if you live way out on Long Island or New Jersey and or have an equally long commute chances are you'll remain at home. OTOH someone that lives in the City especially Manhattan and work in same will be normally expected to show up.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This may come as a shock but many persons had to work both days after Christmas and New Years. If the storm is *really* bad some places may close tomorrow, but the usual MO is to open and tell persons to get in when or if they can.

Obviously if you live way out on Long Island or New Jersey and or have an equally long commute chances are you'll remain at home. OTOH someone that lives in the City especially Manhattan and work in same will be normally expected to show up.
The LIE is being shut down (as per NBC) so people who usually commute via the LIE in Long Island to the city will probably not come into the city tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
so will u be another one of them out in the cold showing
your legs and wearing flats with no socks too?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Its so immature to be excited about single digit temperatures. There are homeless on the streets, people who receive inadequate heat, and the elderly that suffer when the temps go down that low.

You should be ashamed of yourself but you wont be OP...you'll be sipping on your hot Starbucks while homeless people of color are frozen solid.
If I were a public figure like De blasio or Broomberg, yes, I would feel ashamed for putting my enjoyment before these less fortunate lives in this city. And just to remind you, if you truly think the way as indicated in your post, your life will be filled with sorrow, guilt, and shame every milisecond because no matter which situation, there are always people suffering. Sorry if I just burst your bubble shell, Mr. 30to66at55

Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
so will u be another one of them out in the cold showing
your legs and wearing flats with no socks too?
Do not have a plan yet. I may well try sticking out my tongue in the cold and time how long it takes for it to get fully frozen, that kind of silly stuff....

Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If I were a public figure like De blasio or Broomberg, yes, I would feel ashamed for putting my enjoyment before these less fortunate lives in this city. And just to remind you, if you truly think the way as indicated in your post, your life will be filled with sorrow, guilt, and shame every milisecond because no matter which situation, there are always people suffering. Sorry if I just burst your bubble shell, Mr. 30to66at55
Mayor De Blasio has just held a press conference. Here are some of his points:

Windchills could be as low 10 degrees below zero tomorrow. Please do not go out tomorrow if you don't have to.

Sanitation workers are working 12 hours shifts and are working at full capacity. All snow plows have GPS and every NYer can track online whether the snow has been cleared in their areas.

All alternate side street parking has been suspended today and tomorrow.

The fire department will have additional ambulances on the streets and the vehicles will have snow chains on their tires.

All seniors will have enough food delivered to them by senior delivery services to last them during the storm. All senior centers will be closed tomorrow.

All hospitals have enough food to carry them through the weekend if needed.

The public is urged to call 311 if they see someone homeless on the street during tonight as there are shelters available.

For the time being, people should assume that schools will be open tomorrow. A final decision will be made in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

If you don't have enough heat, report it immediately to your landlord and if not resolved to 311. Do not use your stove/oven for heating purposes and be careful with space heaters.

If you see someone shivering uncontrollably, make sure to get them to a warm place or call 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: