Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,491 times

Advertisements

Folks who try to convince you or sell you something door to door ? I'd say in my area it can become annoying. Jehovah Witness, Scams, those who try to sell you items or some kind of electric plans. It's outright annoying. I would estimate these annoyances happening at least 1-2x a week. Some of these individuals are outright near forceful. If a neighbor would leave the apt building main entrance door unlocked, these buggers would dare step inside and knock on your apartment door. Jeez.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 AM

130 posts, read 291,190 times
No such problems here. The building is secure. If anyone slips in we are just suppose to notify the staff and they will handle it.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
I get some Jehovas and the lower your electric bill people but not too often. One thing that's really weird is at election times I get a lot of politicians. I've had candidates for Mayor, City Council, State Assembly, Congress, etc all banging on my door at election time asking for my vote and wanting to know what they can do for me. So strange.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM

I get the same around election time too. I would assume some of these door-to-door salespersons or religious champions are located nearby. I sighted a horde of Jehova Witnesses exiting a building some 5 blocks to the east. Also, there is a religious preachers (non Jehova, perhaps late 20's or early 30's, quite thuggy in terms of dressing) who I've seen on several occasions on the train. One day, my neighbor from downstairs who happens to smoke out front all the time and has a habit of leaving the entrance door unlocked! This same preacher guy made his way into the hallway and started giving loud door to door preaching. He caught 2 neighbors and preached them a storm and his life stories.

That is too close for comfort!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM

15 posts, read 36,623 times
I get these all the time - once or twice a week. Mostly it's the lower your electric bill folk, but often people selling useless tap water filters. I want to have sympathy since that's a sucky job, but they're aggressive and I think harmful scams and I'm getting annoyed. And of course JWs on Saturday. And yes, I get some councilmembers during elections but I appreciate that, actually, even if I don't personally have anything to say.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
A year or two ago there were a lot of siding and windows contractors "doing work in the neighborhood" soliciting business door to door. They were very aggressive.

Also Verizon has people selling FiOS door to door who looked very sketchy in non-business attire.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM

A lot of these individuals are sketchy, refuse to give info about them or do not have a work ID. A portion tends to pursue aggressively. I don't know how it is in other areas in NYC but in eastern Brooklyn it's terrible with these door to door people. Now, next door in my brother's area of Lindenwood-Ozone Park, the door to door salesperson seem to be rare.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Non-existent for me. What you need is a letter to all residents to close the door and never let anyone else in.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Folks who try to convince you or sell you something door to door ? I'd say in my area it can become annoying. Jehovah Witness, Scams, those who try to sell you items or some kind of electric plans. It's outright annoying. I would estimate these annoyances happening at least 1-2x a week. Some of these individuals are outright near forceful. If a neighbor would leave the apt building main entrance door unlocked, these buggers would dare step inside and knock on your apartment door. Jeez.....
It's not that bad but I do have to deal with it sometimes. I don't answer the door. It's not that big of an annoyance since I just ignore it. It's mostly Jehovah witnesses or ESCO schemers.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I get the same around election time too. I would assume some of these door-to-door salespersons or religious champions are located nearby. I sighted a horde of Jehova Witnesses exiting a building some 5 blocks to the east. Also, there is a religious preachers (non Jehova, perhaps late 20's or early 30's, quite thuggy in terms of dressing) who I've seen on several occasions on the train. One day, my neighbor from downstairs who happens to smoke out front all the time and has a habit of leaving the entrance door unlocked! This same preacher guy made his way into the hallway and started giving loud door to door preaching. He caught 2 neighbors and preached them a storm and his life stories.

That is too close for comfort!

The Jehova Witness World HQ is in Brooklyn Heights but strangely in 13 years of living there no one ever rang my bell... as for the Lower my electric bill--- I just tell them I work for CON ED and I am not interested
in their scam (it really is a scam you know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City