Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM

154 posts, read 259,805 times

Advertisements

I served in the Bronx Court for 7 days like 2 years ago, fullied payed by my company. It was not such an awful experience aside from the very early mornings. I actually learned a lot about the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
same here but sometimes my mind has difficulty following the jargon that the lawyers use. they were selecting some of us for a case that had to do with some type of absentee issue (where the defendant was not present). they kept asking me my opinion and they way they asked was loaded with all kinds of double negatives. i didn't want to come out and say that i didn't know what they were saying or asking because i didn't want to seem like a person who was challenging them or trying to get out of the case so i just kind of played dumb with a lot of mindless yesses or nos. some of the more rude jurors kind of picked up on it and sneered which made me uncomfortable. then those same jurors ended up getting kicked off with me and ended up on the criminal case with me. it was productive but a pain to have to deal with other jurors

Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
same here but sometimes my mind has difficulty following the jargon that the lawyers use. they were selecting some of us for a case that had to do with some type of absentee issue (where the defendant was not present). they kept asking me my opinion and they way they asked was loaded with all kinds of double negatives. i didn't want to come out and say that i didn't know what they were saying or asking because i didn't want to seem like a person who was challenging them or trying to get out of the case so i just kind of played dumb with a lot of mindless yesses or nos. some of the more rude jurors kind of picked up on it and sneered which made me uncomfortable. then those same jurors ended up getting kicked off with me and ended up on the criminal case with me. it was productive but a pain to have to deal with other jurors

The defendant was not present because he jumped bail and was being tried in absentia.
BTW Playing dumb will guarantee that you are picked as a juror.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 PM

11 posts, read 14,274 times
excuse me, i have to ask a question:

please correct me if I'm wrong: you're talking about beeing called for jury duty in criminal cases (like shown in TV)? And as i got it, you HAVE to do this - whether you want or not. Now comes the interesting thing for me:

Your empoyer does not have to pay you in the meantime?! So you are forced to do jury duty by law but you don't get salary in this time?! What if it takes 2 weeks to agree?!

Oh, i should mention, that i am from germany - sorry for this stupid question but that sounds really unfair to me. We don't not have this kind of systems here - that's why i am asking...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf090114 View Post
you're talking about being called for jury duty in criminal cases ... you HAVE to do this - whether you want or not.
People receive notices to report for jury duty. Many have excuses (legitimate & otherwise). Some excuses can be submitted without having to appear. Others require an appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf090114 View Post
Your employer does not have to pay you in the meantime?! So you are forced to do jury duty by law but you don't get salary in this time?! What if it takes 2 weeks?
The law does not require payment. Some people have employment or union contracts that require payment.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
the courts ask you on the application if you will be paid when you are on jury service. i think you are entitled to receive $40 per day from the court. I didn't expect to receive any check since i checked that i would be paid but i ended up getting a check for about $280 (employer is supposed to give you by law 3 paid jury days so you don't get the $40 from the court for the first 3 days you serve)

our employer used to have a policy that you had to turn over any $$$ you received from the courts. however my employer i don't think still enforces this policy because they never asked me for the checks

it remains confusing to this day. maybe this is because its based on the assumption that you don't have to be paid at all for serving on the jury for more than 3 days but since the employer is paying you accrued benefit days this could be why they ask you for the checks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City