Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

424 posts, read 974,246 times

Advertisements

This weekend I was walking through Central Park across the 72nd Transverse from Fifth to CPW like usual during weekend nights... I'm about 1/4 in and was enjoying the peace and quiet. I noted I could even hear the distant Amtrak train horn all the way over on the west side near the Hudson. Then I heard something else, a distinct howl which sound a lot like a coyote.

It sounded close enough that I, an older woman out with her small dog and a tourist couple a few yards in front of her all stopped, looked around and looked at each other like "What was that? Was that a dog?" The older woman told the couple "it sounded like a coyote" Then picked her dog up, tuned around and walked quickly toward the exit back on Fifth Avenue. I followed her cue, turned around and left the park also not wanting to find out.

Turns out there actually was one confirmed coyote that lived in Central Park back in 2010; named Hal... whether or not he was placed there for rat patrol or not is interesting to think about: Coyote spotted in Central Park

Though, maybe he's back? Or that was one of his friends? I'm not too concerned now that I know it was indeed a coyote (which are mostly harmless if left alone) but it seems strange for them to be right in the middle of Central Park... in the middle of Manhattan. Anyone have any more information on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
A few coyotes in NYC, if left alone are mostly harmless. But especially on the left coast they have developed a tendency to snatch cats, small dogs and un attended infants.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Coyote will eat a cat in a minute. If they are around keep your pets inside at night!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Small hyenas.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM

424 posts, read 974,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Coyote will eat a cat in a minute. If they are around keep your pets inside at night!
I've heard of them going after small dogs (hence why the old lady walking her Pomeranian picked him up and got the heck out of there) but not cats....

whitlock, really? Maybe I'll be more careful from now on going through the park at night.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
There's definitely coyotes in NJ; I don't know how they afford the tolls to get to NY though.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM

They will eat a cat if they get a chance. They carry it away if it's near human habitation to a place they deem safe.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
There was a recent discussion before on this forum about coyotes in Central Park.

Bottom line as one who lives on the UES and uses CP in the evenings/night (biking or jogging), yes coyotes are in Central Park. Late at night they do venture out onto at least the UES since one saw such a thing crossing Madison Avenue in the 90's going east.

At first one thought *WHAT* was that?! Too big for a rat (thank god), raccoon, or opossum, but certainly dog like. As we got closer to the street it crossed asked one of the doormen if he saw it as well. His reply was yes, it was a coyote and he has seen them before during his overnight shifts. Probably going go forage for food in the plastic bin liners left on the curb was both our guesses.

One night was biking down the west side loop in the 90's and this dog like thing crossed ahead. Yes, it was a coyote again. Asked some persons out walking their dogs and they confirmed my hunch and one lady stated it was a reason she keeps a close eye on her small dogs.

In the park there is plenty of food for coyotes to prey upon (rats, mice, small birds, etc...), and of course the rubbish left by humans.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 PM

Strong possibility that the biggest coyote populations could be found in Pelham Bay Park or Van Cortlandt. As for Central Park there's definitly no food shortage there and the population could grow as long as their daytime hideouts are not disclosed to the general public.

Who knows.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM

50 posts, read 227,721 times
Coyotes are rare in Central Park right now. There are plenty of coyotes in Pelham Bay Park and Van Cortland Park (both in the Bronx). I spoke with the rangers at PBP and they keep track of their habits. They tend to avoid places with heavy human presence (they only venture into the picnic areas late at night or very early in the morning close to dawn. However, according to a March article in the Times, there have been more coyote spottings in Manhattan and research suggests that they've been moving in from the Bronx and the Andirondacks.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ype=blogs&_r=0

If I had to take a guess, unless you were walking your dogs at midnight or right before sunrise, you probably heard a dog. Very unlikely it was a coyote. But who knows?

Did what you hear sound anything like this?

Howling Coyote - YouTube

Pack of Howling Coyotes - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City