Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
More people will develop asthma if they live in or around these new property developments. I hope more doctor officces and clinics open up in these areas to cash in on Obamacare and people with respiratory problems!
What inordinately causes asthma in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Why couldn't they just build 5 acres of open market apts? Honestly, I can count on my hand 5 solid areas where I would live or suggest someone raise a family. BTW KK, never knew Lefrak was that big. How is it there?

I'm gone now, but it was wonderful for 2 decades living on the Hudson with a beautiful walkway/bikeway atop the PATH train. with big apartments, 24 hour doormen, and next to lots and lots of walkable shopping with 3 HUGE supermarkets and a Mall.

But I was a renter, with electric heat, and costs kept going up so I bought in Manhattan. It was a good choice for the final act, no car, free heat, free electricity.

Tedious thing was that for 20 years, with every uptick in the economy the pile drivers started for a couple more new buildings. I really got sick of BOOM-BOOM-BOOM all day, and the Mall, like all Malls got samey. And every trip beginning and ending with a PATH ride became tedious. ANd having a truck smash my parked car was a bummer.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
They build plenty of open market apts (I think you mean market rate right?)...they are called "luxury condos" and they are in abundance in Manhattan, BK, and parts of Queens. If you would like one...everyone knows where to go to get one...in fact the Hudson Yards development is one such example of a huge new "market rate" nabe sprouting up...so I am not sure what your point is.
Why not build market rate in the Bronx? Why does the Bronx have to be the reception center for the poor.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
I am assuming the private developers are hoping this is going to attract, the "gentrifying crowd" or at least people from outside the bronx right? I mean why even build new buildings if not. They are taking a big chance by depending on the adage "build it and they will come". I would love to see the data showing that more and more people are going to move to NYC in the near future. Are the powers that be really predicting everyone is either going to living in cities or else out in the country if they work in farming or resource extraction?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am assuming the private developers are hoping this is going to attract, the "gentrifying crowd" or at least people from outside the bronx right? I mean why even build new buildings if not. They are taking a big chance by depending on the adage "build it and they will come". I would love to see the data showing that more and more people are going to move to NYC in the near future. Are the powers that be really predicting everyone is either going to living in cities or else out in the country if they work in farming or resource extraction?
It is definitely true that more people are moving into the city and this is a nationwide trend. You could browse this website which features links to various sources:

Strong Towns Blog - Strong Towns

There is also data in the census and NYC agencies showing that cities including NYC are outpacing suburbs both in terms of population growth and issuance of residential building permits.

Demand is already there and it is supply that needs to catch up. Whether these trends are true for the Bronx is a different matter. Maybe it is.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:32 PM

Is this project being built over older residential housing, or some abandoned industrial lots? I

Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It is definitely true that more people are moving into the city and this is a nationwide trend. You could browse this website which features links to various sources:

Strong Towns Blog - Strong Towns

There is also data in the census and NYC agencies showing that cities including NYC are outpacing suburbs both in terms of population growth and issuance of residential building permits.

Demand is already there and it is supply that needs to catch up. Whether these trends are true for the Bronx is a different matter. Maybe it is.
Thing is though, the whole point of the Suburbs is access to the city without the cons, and have all the pros of almost being out in the country nominally being more space for yourself and things. So if you can, why not just live in the burbs? In fact, that has been the trend for the modern times. I guess before modern times, you just had urban, and rural. Is there something reversing this trend now? Is there something causing all the young to flock here even when the job market is not that awesome? Are families looking to move back into the inner city for some reason?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM

/\/\

There've been a couple of easy to read books about this issue, one by Andres Duany (Suburban Nation) and another by Leigh Gallagher (End of the Suburbs). The reasons favoring urban areas over suburban can be summed up in one word - necessity. Two factors are driving this.

First is the erosion of the nuclear family. Less people getting married, childless families, same gender marriages, two spouses working, job insecurity etc. all add up to a much lower need for suburban lifestyles.

The second is that many aspects about the suburbs were flawed to begin with, especially financially speaking. Getting around requires heavy use of automobiles at a time when gas prices are nearing $4/gallon. Then you have all the sprawling infrastructure like wide roads, large drainage and sewage systems and expansive public schools that are shared by a small (and shrinking) tax base. When these facilities were newer in the 50s to 70s, nobody cared about the cost of their maintenance and upgrade. But as these amenities suffered wear and tear through the years, the upkeep started taking a toll on the small tax base and some municipalities either kept deferring upgrades or incurred debt to pay for it thereby putting a heavy burden on younger residents.

Other factors were mentioned as well.

Note that these trends don't necessarily apply to Summit NJ or Ridgewood NJ which have walkable areas and are commuter friendly, but places like Mt. Olive or Monmouth that are populated by residential pods will be the ones to feel the pain.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

There've been a couple of easy to read books about this issue, one by Andres Duany (Suburban Nation) and another by Leigh Gallagher (End of the Suburbs). The reasons favoring urban areas over suburban can be summed up in one word - necessity. Two factors are driving this.

First is the erosion of the nuclear family. Less people getting married, childless families, same gender marriages, two spouses working, job insecurity etc. all add up to a much lower need for suburban lifestyles.

The second is that many aspects about the suburbs were flawed to begin with, especially financially speaking. Getting around requires heavy use of automobiles at a time when gas prices are nearing $4/gallon. Then you have all the sprawling infrastructure like wide roads, large drainage and sewage systems and expansive public schools that are shared by a small (and shrinking) tax base. When these facilities were newer in the 50s to 70s, nobody cared about the cost of their maintenance and upgrade. But as these amenities suffered wear and tear through the years, the upkeep started taking a toll on the small tax base and some municipalities either kept deferring upgrades or incurred debt to pay for it thereby putting a heavy burden on younger residents.

Other factors were mentioned as well.

Note that these trends don't necessarily apply to Summit NJ or Ridgewood NJ which have walkable areas and are commuter friendly, but places like Mt. Olive or Monmouth that are populated by residential pods will be the ones to feel the pain.
Ah, this is good to know. Thank you

Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Why not build market rate in the Bronx? Why does the Bronx have to be the reception center for the poor.
I agree. There should be more market rate/middle class apartment buildings built in the Bronx. I think the answer as to why do not built is because of high property taxes on a new construction with no tax abatement in combination with no city incentives to build middle class housing by offering low interest loans like they do for low income housing. In other words, the city is not giving developers incentives to build middle class housing. The city does not encourage it, they encourage "affordable/low income housing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City