Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Just for comparison's sake, MoMA is $25.
I think that is also costly but it is a much larger museum and it isn't a national landmark which what the September 11th Museum will become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I wasn't talking about first responders or any of the responders. I was referring to the "9/11 Widows/Widowers" and the "9/11 Families". You know, the ones who continued blocking any progress at Ground Zero. The ones who complained about every single idea that was brought up to rebuild the site. The ones who practically demanded more money any time 9/11 was brought up.

As for your uncles getting $0 beyond their health insurance. Hate to sound cold but that's part of their job and the risk they take when they go to work everyday. They also chose NOT to get into any of the lawsuits. Their CHOICE.
Um, they agree. That's kind of why they weren't part of the lawsuits... Kind of the whole point... No one is complaining about NOT getting money. The point is that a lot of people didn't get money, so don't call them millionaires or beneficiaries of the tragedy. They should be honorable for simply doing their job. Period.

And I see now the OP meant people who lost family members. We know several of those and whatever they pursued is their own interest. I don't personally know any that got a jackpot out of it.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think that is also costly but it is a much larger museum and it isn't a national landmark which what the September 11th Museum will become.
Everybody just loves to spend taxpayer money don't they.

If you want to go just pay your share and be done with it. Shouldn't take too long to save $24 if you're really hard up for cash

Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked in the WTC and was in T1 when we got hit. I got $150 to cover the loss of any personal items. Of course, I also got to see September 12.
Is there an official list of survivors? I would think that those who were inside on that day, and those who responded and were on site, and their families and the families of those who didn't make it, should have any admission fee waived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
how does one prove that they are the family of a victim?
Some protocols can be developed. At least one employee can be assigned to track them, especially with advance notice.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's apt to be all boring flag-waving anyway.
Really? I haven't seen much flag-waving associated with 9/11. Solemnity, mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
The Intrepid, which is much smaller and cheaper, costs $26M/year to operate.
General admission to the Intreipid more than the 9/11 memorial.
http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Y...formation.aspx
There are coupons, and I'm sure some get group or complimentary tickets.
Perhaps that will be the situation at the 9/11 Memorial, as well.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Really? I haven't seen much flag-waving associated with 9/11. Solemnity, mostly.

General admission to the Intreipid more than the 9/11 memorial.
Intrepid Museum Ticket Information
There are coupons, and I'm sure some get group or complimentary tickets.
Perhaps that will be the situation at the 9/11 Memorial, as well.
I meant cheaper to operate (it's just a big ship, not a whole lot of delicate historical artifacts otherwise), not for tickets, but yes, the tickets are more expensive.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Is there an official list of survivors? I would think that those who were inside on that day, and those who responded and were on site, and their families and the families of those who didn't make it, should have any admission fee waived.

I think it would be really hard to prove

Old 01-25-2014, 04:32 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Just for comparison's sake, MoMA is $25.

MoMA = Museum of Modern Art. Admission is $25 for adults, kids under 16 get in free, Students pay $14.

The Met.... The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest and most comprehensive museum in the northern hemisphere. Its admission is a SUGGESTED $25. You can give $1 if you want. You can give $0 if you want. It's up to you.

I go to both very often and they are worth the price of admission. They always have something new and amazing going on; their collections are breathtaking.

The 9/11 museum seems to me will be "stuff" scavenged from the wreckage ---- NYFD helmets; papers; desks; personal items; etc. Not worth $25. I think if they must charge an admission fee, it should be no more than $10 for adults, $5 for kids, free for seniors.

They would actually raise more that way since more people would come if it was affordable. At $25, it's unlikely they'll have a lot of visitors. Even tourists, who are in NYC to have FUN, aren't going to want to pay $25 to get sad or depressed!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The Met.... The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest and most comprehensive museum in the northern hemisphere. Its admission is a SUGGESTED $25. You can give $1 if you want. You can give $0 if you want. It's up to you.
Not for long, Bloomberg's parting shot was to let them charge mandatory admission.

The "Newseum" in Washington D.C., which is absolutely enormous and has the conspiracy theorist's favorite broadcast antenna from the WTC, is $23. $24 for what will be a much lesser museum is kind of ridiculous. Where's the money go, Port Authority salaries?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I'm more bothered by MoMA's admission fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City