Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You really don't know what they have. Many of them had their mortgages paid off, money put in college funds for kids, trust funds set up for the kids..... not to mention the outright cash they got.

They got a HUGE payday from this. Take my word for it.
This is very true. College educations paid for, private school paid for, etc. etc. It was a sore spot for many when they found out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm more bothered by MoMA's admission fees.

Why? MoMA is a private museum if I'm not mistaken.

As I said previously, I go there very often and they have an amazing collection and some interesting and educational exhibits. Admission also includes the audio programs, special exhibits, the films, and any gallery talks. In addition to that, you can also apply your admission fee to your membership if you decide to join. The only "expensive" thing at MoMA are the restaurants. The gift shops are very reasonable and have some really nice things.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
port authority does not have to follow ny,nj building codes.
That doesn't mean they just don't follow building codes. It means they are their own building department, not the city. Is the PA building the memorial? I don't think so.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Is there an official list of survivors?
I don't believe so. There are an estimated 15,000 of us who were in the buildings when the planes hit who got out alive, but I don't think there's anywhere to verify exactly who they were.

Some of us have given information for purposes of studies, such as the NIST report or an elevator study or psychological studies, etc., but that's all voluntary.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
MoMA = Museum of Modern Art. Admission is $25 for adults, kids under 16 get in free, Students pay $14.

The Met.... The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest and most comprehensive museum in the northern hemisphere. Its admission is a SUGGESTED $25. You can give $1 if you want. You can give $0 if you want. It's up to you.

I go to both very often and they are worth the price of admission. They always have something new and amazing going on; their collections are breathtaking.

The 9/11 museum seems to me will be "stuff" scavenged from the wreckage ---- NYFD helmets; papers; desks; personal items; etc. Not worth $25. I think if they must charge an admission fee, it should be no more than $10 for adults, $5 for kids, free for seniors.

They would actually raise more that way since more people would come if it was affordable. At $25, it's unlikely they'll have a lot of visitors. Even tourists, who are in NYC to have FUN, aren't going to want to pay $25 to get sad or depressed!
Well, there's the big "stuff", such as the fire trucks and large pieces of steel that we all saw being lowered by crane into the sub-levels where the museum will be before they closed up the last part of what became the Memorial plaza--what, don't you remember how coverage of this set off the "steel cross" controversy?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
They did not follow ny building codes.They sprayed a fire proof substance over the steel beams instead of sealing them in concrete.jet fuel burned right through the fireproof they SPRAYED on the beams and the steel beams melted which caused both towers to collaspe.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
[quote=bigjake54;33177859]Really? I haven't seen much flag-waving associated with 9/11. Solemnity, mostly.

I guess then you don't consider starting two wars over it flag-waving? I do, I think war is ULTIMATE flag waving.
How much more "flag-waving" or jingoistic can you GET?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:39 AM

145 posts, read 227,220 times
I can't believe I'm seeing some NYers defending the fee on another message board I go on. I read comments on a newsday article with people who have done the math, and learned the top employees/earners are going to earn hundreds of thousands from this. Not to mention the owner of it is already a millionaire. Says a lot...

Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I meant cheaper to operate (it's just a big ship, not a whole lot of delicate historical artifacts otherwise), not for tickets, but yes, the tickets are more expensive.

And the Intrepid did not have to be built from scratch as a Museum--- it already was a ship-- big difference.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
They did not follow ny building codes.They sprayed a fire proof substance over the steel beams instead of sealing them in concrete.jet fuel burned right through the fireproof they SPRAYED on the beams and the steel beams melted which caused both towers to collaspe.
Not quite. The steel didn't melt, it was weakened, and that coupled with the damage to the structural steel caused the collapse. I was inside of it. Trust me, the building went sideways and then was leaning, and you could hear the steel groaning one way and not coming back the way it usually did.

Not going to argue over the building codes because I'm not sure whether the spray-on fireproofing was against code or not in the 1960s. Port Authority's stated practice is to meet or exceed local building codes, but I don't know if that was the case or not with the fireproofing of the WTC. Used to know some old guys who had worked on the original buildings, but they are long gone to the big construction project in the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City