Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 19,911 times

Advertisements

Hi new member to this forum but I have been reading threads here for a while trying to get some research for a new place to live. I am a New Yorker and have lived all around but now my wife and I are trying to buy a house and we found a place in Bushwick off the J train stop on Halsey. Its a 1-2 minute walk from the train so basically right off Broadway. I am not familiar with the area and have mixed feelings about it. I know Bushwick is generally considered a "hoodier" section of Brooklyn and the only real time I have spent there is the weekends house hunting. Since its the winter time and really cold outside recently there is really very little people on the streets so it doesn't really feel that unsafe. The location is pretty convenient in that it has a key food right there and a Rite Aid right off the train. The walk is very short to and from the house so there is very little time to be in harm's way. However I am curious about the surrounding area. What it's going to be like when I actually live there. Am I subjected to just staying inside my home and then going elsewhere for quality of life? We plan on starting a family soon and my guess is that the schools there are not very good options in terms of quality. I know a lot of what I researched already points in the wrong direction but if there is something that I missed and should consider it will be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
At the moment its still hoodlike 2 recent friends both male and female, on i their 20's and another in their 30's moved out there and dont hang around the area. Slowly its changing i would say if you dont mind waiting maybe another 3/5yrs for your kid it might be ok. If you're use to innercity stuff and have street smarts then you wouldnt have an issue at the moment.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am debating between this place and another in bed stuy on Hancock and patchen. Both the areas seem similar to me but a lot of people have suggested bed stuy is a better bet.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM

Are people who are suggesting bed stuy living there currently?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:30 AM

Not really, they live close in Clinton hill. Obviously our realtor says it's better as well. We've talked to random people in the neighborhood and they say it's nice and alot better than before. We don't know anyone that has actually lived in that area of bed stuy, hence why we asked the locals.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Both are as equally ghetto. The bushwick location sounds closer to the subway station which you'll appreciate on cold days, but from the bedstuy location you might have the option of also walking to the A train. Then again from bushwick you might even be able to walk to the L train. Though choice, which ghetto to choose from. I'd go with the one that is further from any public housing project complexes. Have you considered buying in an area not full of crime? Not like it's any cheaper these days to live in the ghetto vs a working class neighborhood.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM

We have looked at other neighborhoods that are not as bad crime wise but they are significantly more money. Also with the lack of inventory it's tough to find anything reasonable priced. When there have been ones that are good I am out bidded by someone going over asking price frequently.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
What is your budget?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What is your budget?
That is the important question.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM

Well I am looking for a multi family under a million. Would prefer 3 but could settle for 2. Need the rental unit to help pay for mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City