Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,446 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m 22 years old and American, but I've grown up in Brazil (half Brazilian).

I’m planning to move to NYC between August and October. I want to apply for a PhD or PsyD (clinical psychology with concentration in forensic psychology). I've an equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. Obviously, I speak Portuguese with fluency. I've some money saved (that I intend to use to pay the rent in advance since I don't have credit score in the US) and will get $1500 a month for some time as a help from my family (that I have no idea how to declare to the IRS either).

I like to plan and organize in advance everything, so I've research a lot about how the city is nowadays (my family used to live here until the 60’s/70’s) and I'm very happy about the low crime rates, but since I’m young, female and will be all by myself I intend to live in Queens (love the idea of Astoria) or Manhattan. I’ll be staying with family in Connecticut until I can find an apartment and I intend to find a job.

I already know about the rent prices in NYC. But I'm worried about the job part. What are my prospects? For me, any job is equally respectful.
I don’t intend to have a car, so I need places near the public transportation system.

Is it crazy to look for volunteering in the NYPD as a translator? I would like to learn about the law enforcement system since in Brazil I've worked for more than 3 years in the Justice department (crime, adoption and child/teen's at risk) and intend to work with crime related field in the future.

Also, be free to post any tips for me, since I'm new to almost everything, like the IRS (so complicated lol) and the local and state taxes, good neighborhoods, saying welcome, hello, etc etc LOL.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,545,303 times
You are already more qualified to come then Stubborn Vincenzo. Welcome to NYC.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,586,194 times
Hopefully you've researched student and work visas? If not, you can start on the USCIS website: www.uscis.gov

Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Hopefully you've researched student and work visas? If not, you can start on the USCIS website: www.uscis.gov
Hi, I don't need one since I'm a US Citizen

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,586,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwendr View Post
Hi, I don't need one since I'm a US Citizen
Oh, perfect! That makes it a lot easier. I see you mentioned it in your OP - sorry, read too fast. I have a lot of immigrant friends and I know visas are what they usually find the most confusing/stressful so at least you don't have to worry about that.

It's great you have family to stay with while you get settled as well. When applying for jobs you may want to use their address on your resume as someone in the tri-state area would be considered more seriously that someone with a foreign address. Also definitely include the fact that you are a US citizen as well; if your experience is in Brazil it may not be apparent from the resume.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
You are already more qualified to come then Stubborn Vincenzo. Welcome to NYC.
LOL thanks

Old 02-06-2014, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
If you don't find anything other you can always sign up for various focus groups. Sometimes you can earn like $200 for just two hours of work. Just google something like "focus groups nyc" and you will find tons.

Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,989,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhanohlsonBoston View Post
If you don't find anything other you can always sign up for various focus groups. Sometimes you can earn like $200 for just two hours of work. Just google something like "focus groups nyc" and you will find tons.

Good Luck!
will start right away. thank you mr money printer.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhanohlsonBoston View Post

Good Luck!
Thanks for the tip! I've never thought of it...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Does anyone know if there is recycling pick ups in NYC? I recycle like 85/90% of my trash lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: