Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:41 AM

136 posts, read 240,420 times

Advertisements

How can you have a hazardous travel advisory and keep the schools open, and count absences against the kids. What can possibly motivate this woman to keep the schools open. We have snow days in reserve at least one more). Would this not be the perfect time to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
It would be nearly impossible to count the number of days with hazardous travel advisories that schools have been open in the last 15 years.It's been going on since long before she was Chancellor.

A hazardous travel advisory does not mean you close the world down,it means you exercise caution as you go about your day.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It would be nearly impossible to count the number of days with hazardous travel advisories that schools have been open in the last 15 years.It's been going on since long before she was Chancellor.

A hazardous travel advisory does not mean you close the world down,it means you exercise caution as you go about your day.

and how many young children do you have in the system ? If the answer is none you do not get a vote.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 AM

Default Yellow buses anyone?

Exactly! If yellow buses are not traveling, or traveling with two hour delays, how do you expect to get the kids to school.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 AM

197 posts, read 517,737 times
If you do not teach kids to overcome small challenges like a snowstorm at this young age, how do you think they will react to other small challenges as adults? My mother made sure I never missed a day of school no matter what.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
people here new to nyc?

As I noted in other thread, I went to nyc public schools. nyc RARELY ever closes. I believe the reasoning for that is because about feeding the kids. If its dangerous, don't go. I remember schools merging 4 classrooms into one class....we still got about 12-15 kids in a class including myself.

A better part of nyc is easily commutable to school...meaning its walkable to school. I walked a lot to school myself.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 AM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
people here new to nyc?

As I noted in other thread, I went to nyc public schools. nyc RARELY ever closes. I believe the reasoning for that is because about feeding the kids. If its dangerous, don't go. I remember schools merging 4 classrooms into one class....we still got about 12-15 kids in a class including myself.

A better part of nyc is easily commutable to school...meaning its walkable to school. I walked a lot to school myself.
Parents are overprotective these days. It's just snow! I remember the old days when I had to walk to school from Sheepshead Bay to Midwood in a snowstorm, that was an hour long walk! But I made it to school nevertheless.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
Parents are overprotective these days. It's just snow! I remember the old days when I had to walk to school from Sheepshead Bay to Midwood in a snowstorm, that was an hour long walk! But I made it to school nevertheless.
yeah in middle school, I walked 3 miles to school. Luckily elementary and high school was closer...about 10 min walk. I even made the most of snow days with classmates with snowball fights & rolling around the snow

If it wasn't for chicken pox incident, I am pretty close to near perfect attendance for 12+ years in nyc public schools!!!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
I'm at my office today. My Long Island coworkers were really angry that their kids schools were closed. They wanted them to go to school!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Default And when dinosaurs roamed the earth.....

Yes, i too remember going to school in all kinds of nasty weather. But, and there is a but here, the teachers used to show up as well. I did bring my kids to school today, then we were told to take them to the auditorium or the cafeteria, where they will spend most of the day drawing or watching a movie. So what is the point? My kids overcame adversity and came in, but the teachers, who live in Long Island, Staten Island and NJ do not. The chancellor knows this. If its not about learning, then what is the point in keeping the schools open and endangering everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: