Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You cannot park in front of your driveway, it is NOT a way to create reserved street parking only for you.
Wrong!

Don't Park in Front of a NYC Driveway until you read this

f) General no standing zones (standing and parking prohibited in specified places).
No person shall stand or park a vehicle in any of the following places, unless otherwise indicated by
posted signs, markings or other traffic control devices, or at the direction of a law enforcement officer:

"2)Driveways. In front of a public or private driveway, except that it shall be permissible for the owner, lessor or lessee of the lot accessed by a private driveway to park a passenger vehicle registered to him/her at that address in front of such driveway, provided that such lot does not contain more than two dwelling units and further provided that such parking does not violate any other provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law or local law or rule concerning the parking, stopping or standing of motor vehicles. The prohibition herein shall not apply to driveways that have been rendered unusable due to the presence of a building or other fixed obstruction and, therefore, are not being used as defined in §4-01(b) of these rules."

For a multiple family dwelling (> two family house or apartment building), no you cannot block the driveway, but for a private one or two family home, yes you can park in front of the drive subject to laws/rules noted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
I just finished ranting about the schools not having any teachers around despite being open, and i feel the need to just throw this out there. Is anyone else having this problem? I live in a row house with a driveway that is very steep. When it snows, i cannot really get in there, so i pile my snow into the driveway and clear the parallel parking spot on my driveway. It is clearly marked as "NO PARKING/DRIVEWAY," and yet, every time i leave, i come home to find someone parked on my driveway. And, on top of that, when i ask them to leave, rather politely i might add, i get an earful about not being able to park inside my driveway because of snow. and usually some not very nice cursing directed my way. At which point, i do feel the need to point out, MY DRIVEWAY, MY SNOW PILE, MY PARALLEL PARKING IN FRONT OF MY DRIVEWAY, MY BUSINESS HOW I PARK HERE, not yours. My neighbor bought some red traffic cones, and i think i will do same, even though it seems a bit extreme. Any thoughts?
Get the cones.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
When I lived in chicago a few years, I noticed people put all sorts of crap (chairs, cones, crates) in the parking spots in front of their houses to reserve it. I'm glad New Yorkers dont do it because it looks like a ss, but i'm surprised no one does it.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
When I lived in chicago a few years, I noticed people put all sorts of crap (chairs, cones, crates) in the parking spots in front of their houses to reserve it. I'm glad New Yorkers dont do it because it looks like a ss, but i'm surprised no one does it.
I read about this last year, there's an unwritten code of conduct for people who live in Chicago. Get this, if you shovel out a spot for your car, there is the expectation that this is YOUR spot. If someone parks in a shoveled spot, they are considered to be stealing that person's parking spot on the street lol. Try enforcing that around here!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You cannot park in front of your driveway, it is NOT a way to create reserved street parking only for you.
The law (no doubt written by special interests) does allow a building owner to block his own driveway, but the entire building must have only 2 apartments or be a single family residence

Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The law (no doubt written by special interests) does allow a building owner to block his own driveway, but the entire building must have only 2 apartments or be a single family residence
I think it's fair. I don't have a problem with it. People aren't supposed to park on the driveway entrance anyway.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
When I lived in Brooklyn I rented a garage. It was just off the street but very tight to get into and out. Occasionally, people would park a foot into the driveway and it took much maneuvering to get my car out.

One night some jerk in a late model Cadillac decides to visit someone on the block and parks right in my driveway. Stupidly he left his windows open. I went into my garage, retrieved a can of motor oil, opened it and tossed it into his front seat.

Should have heard the screaming and cursing when he went to drive away.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it's fair. I don't have a problem with it. People aren't supposed to park on the driveway entrance anyway.
What part of it is fair, you're taking away a parking spot from the public and reserving it for yourself. On top of that, you have a private driveway and or/garage for an additional vehicle

Do people with curb cuts gets pay extra property taxes? They really should

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What part of it is fair, you're taking away a parking spot from the public and reserving it for yourself. On top of that, you have a private driveway and or/garage for an additional vehicle

Do people with curb cuts gets pay extra property taxes? They really should
We are talking about people parking on the driveway entrance no? People aren't' supposed to park there anyway because they will block the driveway. Am I missing something? As long as the owner or a resident is the one parking on the entrance I don't see the problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
As long as the owner or a resident is the one parking on the entrance I don't see the problem.
The problem is double spots for one curb cut

Taking away parking for the public is a whole other issue and equally unfair unless there is a property tax surcharge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City