Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 PM

296 posts, read 532,389 times

Advertisements

I am picking someone up from JFK Airport terminal 1, from an international flight. They will be flying on Aeroflot. I have never been to the airport before and the map on the website is not very detailed and I can't tell which areas I can go without having a ticket. Because they are coming from another country, they won't have phone service for us to be able to coordinate on the phone and it seems as though wifi costs money.

Is there a spot where they would come out from? Like after they go through customs and get their luggage, is there some point where they come out and I could meet them right there?

The other option would be to pick one of the stores and agree to meet there, but I'd like to meet them as soon as they come out.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I am picking someone up from JFK Airport terminal 1, from an international flight. They will be flying on Aeroflot. I have never been to the airport before and the map on the website is not very detailed and I can't tell which areas I can go without having a ticket.
If you are driving, then every JFK terminal has its own parking lot. Just follow road signs to get there.

Quote:
Is there a spot where they would come out from? Like after they go through customs and get their luggage, is there some point where they come out and I could meet them right there?
Go to the "ARRIVAL" section of the common hall and read what the display says.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I don't think that there are any good areas for you to double-park while waiting without the chance of getting a ticket. Your best bet is to park your car.

Another option is if the people that you are meeting speak English well enough perhaps they could ask someone with a local cellphone to make a quick call to you to arrange a firm meeting point after they arrive.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 AM

yeah, i'm planning to pay for parking and i'm not worried about finding my way to parking or to the terminal itself.

it's just once inside the terminal i'm worried about how to coordinate finding them when we won't be able to telephone each other. asking to borrow a cell phone is a good idea!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post

Go to the "ARRIVAL" section of the common hall and read what the display says.
will what's on that display tell me enough information to be able to find a single person? like will it tell me where exactly they will be exiting from so i can go to meet them there? i'm not sure how many different exit areas there are for arriving passengers and how crowded the airport is (i'm assuming it's quite busy).

Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
In terms of a place to meet inside, you could agree to meet them by the rental car counters in that terminal. Even pick a particular carrier.

There is usually a group of people waiting in arrivals by where passengers will exit post customs/ security. The most annoying thing is that you don't know how long security will take and they can't use cell phones going through security or in the baggage claim area (and I've seen that enforced). However, there are monitors there that tell you the arrival times/ status.

Plenty of car services are able to find passengers they've never met in their lives. Maybe you should make a giant sign, haha. Or wear a very bright color.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Another good meeting point would be the information booth/center in the arrivals area of the terminal.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post

There is usually a group of people waiting in arrivals by where passengers will exit post customs/ security. The most annoying thing is that you don't know how long security will take and they can't use cell phones going through security or in the baggage claim area (and I've seen that enforced). However, there are monitors there that tell you the arrival times/ status.
I think meeting here would be my first choice. It would not be too difficult (crowded or hectic) to find someone at this point? There is only one place they will all exit from?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I think meeting here would be my first choice. It would not be too difficult (crowded or hectic) to find someone at this point? There is only one place they will all exit from?
One exit but I think the passengers can choose of 2 directions to go at this point if I recall correctly meaning it could be quite crowded with people waiting.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
If they are coming through customs then there is only one exit in the international terminal that they all flow through. Just find that and you will be ok. Yes it is crowded depending on how many flights arrive from overseas but not difficult to find people if you just watch the one set of doors they all come through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: