Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm070685 View Post
Well, it can be done. I was planning to move to NYC without a job. As it happens, I did find one right before I left but I was willing to go there without one. Several of my friends went without a job and found one within a week or two. People said I was living in a dream world and I'd never last more than a week there, but they were totally wrong. It was only supposed to be temporary but that doesn't really make much difference, I got set up with an apartment, job, etc. It really isn't as hard as all the Debbie Downers make it out to be......BUT........

I was very realistic. I researched it for months beforehand, finding out which areas were affordable yet safe. I didn't have some ridiculous notion of having my own cute apartment in Chelsea like some people who come here. I didn't plan on 'making it big' in showbusiness - I had experience working in hotels and it seemed reasonable to think I might get a front desk job or something in the back office - I also have a degree from a good university. I worked out how much I'd be earning after tax and made a budget, checking on sites like this if it was reasonable considering the price of groceries, how much I'd be spending on my weekly Metrocard etc. I had all this worked out and people STILL thought I was crazy. I don't think its crazy to go to NYC without a job, but I do think the posters who think they can afford a penthouse on Park Avenue despite having no degree and no idea what career they're going into need to come back down to earth. When I went there, I was fully prepared to live in a not-so-great neighborhood and take a second job in a bar if I needed to. I don't think the posters on here are here to crush peoples' dreams but many people who post these stories need a good dose of reality.
Was the job you found in hotels? It is actually pretty easy to get jobs in the hospitality industry in hot tourist destinations. They are always hiring. Are you a room attendant or are you a manager?

I think what people meant as unrealistic is getting a job at a big firm, or any other white collar job, not the blue collar ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
don't forget - a stickie on how "bad" the bronx is so all the bronx bashing threads will decrease? very unlikely

Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 AM

31 posts, read 143,282 times
Quote:
Was the job you found in hotels? It is actually pretty easy to get jobs in the hospitality industry in hot tourist destinations. They are always hiring. Are you a room attendant or are you a manager?

I think what people meant as unrealistic is getting a job at a big firm, or any other white collar job, not the blue collar ones.
Yes, it was in hotels. I was a front desk agent. That's exactly what I meant about people being unrealistic, thinking they could get a job as an investment banker with no degree and no experience. It's just silly, whereas hospitality work, nursing etc are doable. It's still not THAT easy - many of my coworkers had degrees in hospitality management and still found it hard to get a job, even on front desk, because they didn't have enough 'NYC experience'. That's what you need in NY, lots of experience and usually a degree, and connections, before you even get a look in at the good jobs.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
OK guys.. I need some answers to the questions as a start. I can always modify the answers as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City