Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 AM

29 posts, read 39,746 times

Advertisements

I live just off Fordham road on Bainbridge ave and anyone who live around this section of the Bronx knows it's 90% Dominicans. I would like to send my daughter to a school close because I don't own a vehicle as yet but being black from the Caribbean and only hear Spanish all day everyday, I'm scared to send my daughter to a preschool here. I also hear that Dominicans are very racist which can't be good. I do know they stick to their kind but I refuse to call them racist unless I see it fit. Anyway, any suggestion on where I could send my daughter to preschool/daycare which she won't be picked on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM

15 posts, read 36,625 times
I could recommend the preschool my kids went to, but honestly your attitude towards our neighborhood doesn't much make me want to have you join. Let's broaden communities and make them better by your presence, not wall them up being scared, ok? And maybe (just maybe) it's ok for your daughter to learn Spanish - so good for her and easy at this early age. Come on. Anyway, Bronx House runs a pretty good pre-k and is really diverse. It's UPK, though, so she would have to be 4. Maybe next year.

Last edited by mirabelle9; 02-26-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 AM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
I don't think the OP should be knocked just because he wants a school with more diversity. As someone who went to kindergarten in a school that was 90% Dominican, I will say that I felt very awkward being one of the only non-Spanish speaking students and it was hard to make friends with children who choose to speak a language you don't speak. In the cafeteria, on the playground they would only speak Spanish- most were not being rude about it, they were just kids who didn't know any better and didn't realize that you were the only person in the group who didn't speak the language. Still it was awkward. OP, I don't think children that young are going to be racist toward your child, they might even mistake her for being Dominican because most Dominicans have black heritage. But if you choose to send her to a different school, don't let the fact that you don't have a car stop you- you can always arrange for a bus service to pick her up and drop her off.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
OP, I don't think children that young are going to be racist toward your child, they might even mistake her for being Dominican because most Dominicans have black heritage. But if you choose to send her to a different school, don't let the fact that you don't have a car stop you- you can always arrange for a bus service to pick her up and drop her off.
I don't think OP was concerned about the children (I agree, I can't imagine a 3 year old understanding being racist) but perhaps the other parents.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

29 posts, read 39,746 times
That's exactly what I meant. I'm not trying to offend anyone but most parents would like for their 3 year old go to a school where they can make friends from an early age and also understand the language that is being spoken.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM

15 posts, read 36,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbronxguy View Post
That's exactly what I meant. I'm not trying to offend anyone but most parents would like for their 3 year old go to a school where they can make friends from an early age and also understand the language that is being spoken.
I understand, really. Your daughter should be welcomed and affirmed and around many people, including those who do and don't look and talk like her. But I think your assumptions might be off (from my experience in the neighborhood), and your going into it with this idea that there's a need to avoid your neighborhood rather than see if you can join and broaden it isn't going to help you feel at home, or the next family feel at home. I think there's a stronger West Indian community than you think, too. I'm sure you'll find the right place. My kid's pre-k was a mix of Dominican kids, Caribbean/West Indian kids, African-American kids, Pakistani kids, Albanian kids, and Ghanan kids, with a few others. Half the class spoke Spanish, half didn't, and the teachers were bilingual. I would have had no idea that some of those communities were so dense and nearby, but it was the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City