Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 PM

13 posts, read 32,333 times

Advertisements

Safe place to live with family near brookdale hospital if we have to use public transportation ?

New in Brooklyn , relocating from California .

Need suggestions guys !

Thanks,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
I just did research in this forum for the same information you seek. Here's my summary LINK

Search in the NYC forum "safe areas of Brooklyn", "Brookdale hospital" and you'll have loads of threads to read if you want more info.

Some of the threads are dated but here's a few for the "Brookdale hospital" search.

housing around Brookdale Hosp
How safe are these areas? (Brookdale & Bronx-Lebanon Med Centers)
Looking for some one to share an apartment near brookdale hospital
How safe is the area around brookdale hospital?

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 02-27-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 PM

Thank u very much ! Am scared after reading those suggestions!! So there is no place to live near brookdale ? ?atleat at a distance of 1 hour ( by public transportation )

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. Take a look at the safety map on here. There are places in the yellow areas across from the hospital on the Brooklyn Safety map that have been recommended.

The neighborhood, Crown Heights, that you asked about has an area on Franklin Ave where Transplants are moving into. A more safe option recommended by others on here have been to live in Carnise. According to the crime map it's low crime and it's known as middle class. Otherwise you want to live west of Flatbush Ave and in some parts west of Ocean Ave.

Also you might ask your boss if you can talk to some co-workers for recommendations on where to live and commutes.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhanuu View Post
Thank u very much ! Am scared after reading those suggestions!! So there is no place to live near brookdale ? ?atleat at a distance of 1 hour ( by public transportation )
I didn't click all those threads, but it seemed from the titles they would be talking about the areas right around Brookdale. If you're willing to travel up to an hour on public transportation, you can live in a very nice area of Brooklyn provided you have the budget to rent in those areas.

One example: Google 80 Clark St. Brooklyn NY. This address is in the very nice area of Brooklyn Heights. If you click on directions on Google maps, put in Brookdale Hospital on your destination and then click the train icon for the MTA directions, you will see it's on 33 minutes to commute.

Brookdale is on the 2,3,4,5 lines so if you choose any nice area on those lines in Brooklyn (there are several), it seems to me you could have a reasonable commute.

You would still need to pay attention to the threads about safety if you are coming and going at odd hours. If the area around Brookdale is so unsafe that taking the train at night is not advisable, then you should probably talk to your colleagues at the hospital about how they handle their commutes and where they live.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Thank u Henna ... It's my first job . So I don't have much options ..

Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
I'd never ever live there

Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Thank u Henna ... It's my first job . So I don't have much options ..
What will your salary be and how many bedrooms do you need?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Over 80 k and and would like to go with 1/2 BR ......can compromise on my rent budget as I need a safe area,

Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Safe place to live with family near brookdale hospital if we have to use public transportation ?

New in Brooklyn , relocating from California .

Need suggestions guys !

Thanks,,
You can maybe live in Bay Ridge near the B8 bus which runs from Bay Ridge to Brookdale....but that's a pretty long bus ride, probably over an hour if there's traffic.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City