Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,115,876 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Micro Center, they sent me a postcard with a coupon for a free Android tablet just for going to their store. I don't know if their is a catch or if they only have a few per store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM

116 posts, read 354,521 times
Quote:
Yes, I fully understand the appeal of shopping online and I do shop online at times. But IF I can manage to find a local seller(s) that has the desired type or brand of product being sought, a reasonable selection of competing products, and reasonable-enough prices (they don't always have to be the absolutely-lowest price offered by anyone but be at least what can be deemed as "reasonably priced"), I would prefer to buy locally. But then who wouldn't (if all those conditions were being met)?
I wouldn't. Because I'm not strong enough to carry a large computer purchase home. Nor do I feel the need to "inspect" a computer. I'm satisfied if it contains parts that I approve of that I don't need to see it in person before ordering it.

I get the point of buying locally. I try to do it for food, and for manufactured goods wherever I can. But I don't really think of national chains as local retail stores anyway.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,546,979 times
If you're into computers, especially building them, Microcenter is the only b&m store in the area that really caters to this market, and has the inventory to be really useful.

In point of fact, I have a bit of Fry's envy. For those who don't know, Fry's is a west coast chain that started out of Silicon Valley. They have one in Vegas, which is the one I've been to. They're known for having anything electronic you could probably ever want, and much, Much, MUCH more. Microcenter is not quite up to their standard, but it's the closest thing anywhere near NYC that even tries to come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Never heard of Microcenter. Why are you promoting Microcenter so heavily,Usall?
Still using a microwave bought from Crazy Eddie in 1988. The microwave that will not die. The last computer I bought in a store was in 1998. Got a camera from J&R recently because they had the best price for the model I wanted. B&H gives me bad vibes. Mostly use Newegg these days.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
what a weird ass thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM

575 posts, read 674,441 times
I look at Best Buy and then go to Amazon or Tiger Direct. Back to Best Buy only if I can't beat the online prices.

B&H for cameras - Never have been able to beat there price for apples to apples but once, and they matched that price so I bought it while there. Plus the sales dude was a hoot. Beware of their hours as they are serious about their faith; a good thing as I am serious about mine.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,446,964 times
Anything of importance should be purchased online directly from the manufacturer if possible. Cables connectors etc. can be purchased at Best Buy.

Most sales people in NYC couldn't assist me in finding a pair of sneakers. You need CUSTOMER SERVICE the most when purchasing electronics. We don't have this in NYC.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
since best buy changed their prices they are a viable local option.

So the obvious local choices are:

J&R
B&H
Best Buy
Adorama
Datavision

Radioshack is a waste of time

Old 03-21-2014, 02:32 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,426,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
since best buy changed their prices they are a viable local option.

So the obvious local choices are:

J&R
B&H
Best Buy
Adorama
Datavision

Radioshack is a waste of time
It's amazing how much Radio Shack has so very much fallen behind the times . . . at least as far as computers and computer-related electronics, parts, et al (they used to be leaders, even having the first pre-assembled standalone personal computers, the TRS-80, before even the Apple I and certainly before the IBM PC). But then even being very well behind for many electronics and related accessories as well. Their selection is so circumscribed and then their pricing is, more often than not, just too high (even sometimes notably too high). You would think that, with all their many thousands of stores, they'd have the mass and buying power to be more aggressive in competing in selection and then in price.

That is, for virtually anything that one could want (be it batteries or DVD discs or DVD drives or computer parts or computers themselves or cellphones or smartphones or USB cables or cameras or <etc. etc. etc. . . . ad inifinitum>, there is nearly ALWAYS a better selection elsewhere and better pricing elsewhere. Even for BATTERIES (which Radio Shack always has a plentiful selection of), you can get them cheaper at a local drug store chain or at a dollar store or discount department or variety store.

Probably the main reason that they get REGULAR business is simply because they are seemingly everywhere, so some shoppers just give in to the convenience and either pay the higher prices or settle for whatever product selection they do have (even if not the best possible choice of product to truly serve their particular needs). It is simply less physical effort and time expended, even if at higher cost. Even I buy from them on a very irregular occasion (usually for a minor item), just for the convenience.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,426,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you're into computers, especially building them, Microcenter is the only b&m store in the area that really caters to this market, and has the inventory to be really useful.

In point of fact, I have a bit of Fry's envy. For those who don't know, Fry's is a west coast chain that started out of Silicon Valley. They have one in Vegas, which is the one I've been to. They're known for having anything electronic you could probably ever want, and much, Much, MUCH more. Microcenter is not quite up to their standard, but it's the closest thing anywhere near NYC that even tries to come close.
I have never been to a Fry's Electronics thus far. I know that they thus far have stores serving the western half of the U.S. (California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona), Texas, Georgia, Illinois, and Indiana. If I recall properly (from what I have read or been told), Fry's was described to me by some others as a sort of half-way cross between Best Buy and Micro Center; that is, beyond selling household applicances and home entertainment products (like Best Buy does), their computer-related hardware and accessories was described as being better than Best Buy (even notably better . . . being more in-depth and comprehensive) but still not quite to the level of a Micro Center. An analogy, in my mind, would be that NYC's J&R or B&H will have a better selection of computer-related hardware and accessories than a Radio Shack or Staples does but both J&R and B&H are not nearly in the league of Micro Center for computer-related hardware and accessories.

Yet you, having actually been inside a Fry's in Las Vegas, are saying that Fry's is even MORE comprehensive with computer-related hardware and accessories (and again, I am specifically focusing on 'computer-related hardware and accessories", not on cameras or home entertainment systems or home appliances) than Micro Center is? You said that "Micro Center is not quite up to their standard"? So, while you visited Fry's, did you specifically inspect their computer-related hardware and accessories section (as well as other related electronics items like you'd find at Micro Center) and deemed yourself that Fry's exceeds Micro Center across-the-board? Really? I'm not doubting it; I'm just contrasting it with what I think I recall having read or else being told by others in the more distant past.

I'd like to check Fry's out the next time I travel to locations where they are. I know they are in the Atlanta (GA), Chicago (IL), and Indianapolis (IN) areas as well as in the western and southwestern U.S. Just out of curiosity. I know that are a longtime mainstay in the Silicon Valley (which is where they started).

Old 03-21-2014, 03:21 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,368,126 times
This thread sounds like a commercial for Microcenter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City