Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:36 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
This thread sounds like a commercial for Microcenter.
Why? The thread is asking all who choose to comment whom THEY THEMSELVES find to be most useful or amongst the several most useful for serving their computer- and electronics-related goods, parts, and accessories needs. So we are all just sharing our experiences in shopping for such goods. It is not "promoting" anyone (as a "commercial" would) but just individuals saying whom they find to be most useful for themselves.

AND, as others have shared and as I myself have shared, we ALL use multiple sellers at times . . . whether online or local retail or both. I've mentioned that I have as well shopped for and still shop for such computer- and electronics-related goods and accessories at Staples, Office Max, B&H, J&R, Best Buy, Walmart, K-Mart, Target, the Apple Store, the Microsoft Store, et al and online dealers as well (e.g., Amazon, Newegg, others). And I had mentioned already that even if and when I buy at some higher-end hardware from Micro Center, I don't tend to use their store-offered extended warranty and replacement plan (even though they push it) but instead use an online-offered company for such plans (i.e., SquareTrade). So, by my mentioning that, does it still sound like I am a commercial for Micro Center? And there are times when Micro Center doesn't have the products I want at all or at the price point I want or they are out of it at the time, so I buy elsewhere (most often from Amazon but sometimes locally). So, by my mentioning that, does it still sound like I am a commercial for Micro Center?

AND I mentioned that "Maybe someday the NYC metro area will have TigerDirect.com Stores and Fry’s Electronics Stores open up here (in the NYC area) as well. It's nice to have that option (beyond otherwise ordering from & dealing with an online-only operation)." So I was promoting shopping at other stores and cross-comparing them. Does it still sound like I am a commercial for Micro Center? It may be the case that you simply haven't read the entire thread and seen all these other comments of mine (which, if you had, would likely result in you judging everything said as a whole as well as in context and therefore not deeming that this thread which I originated simply "sounds like a commercial for Micro Center").

You can just as well say that this thread sounds like a commercial for Newegg or TigerDirect. But I don't take it that way if others mention that they only use Newegg or TigerDirect or Amazon or other online-only dealers. I just take it as each individual is simply stating what THEY have found serves them best. If Radio Shack or Dollar Tree, for that matter, or whomever else serves you best (and I do happen to buy electronics from both of them at times), then more power to you.

Last edited by UsAll; 03-21-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 PM

575 posts, read 672,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Most sales people in NYC couldn't assist me in finding a pair of sneakers. You need CUSTOMER SERVICE the most when purchasing electronics. We don't have this in NYC.

Get those sneakers at Paragon Sports, NWC of B'way and 18th, a couple of blocks uptown from Union Square.

The best place around for great sneakers/tennies.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM

575 posts, read 672,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usall View Post
why? The thread is asking all who choose to comment whom they themselves find to be most useful or amongst the several most useful for serving their computer- and electronics-related goods, parts, and accessories needs. So we are all just sharing our experiences in shopping for such goods. It is not "promoting" anyone (as a "commercial" would) but just individuals saying whom they find to be most useful for themselves.

And, as others have shared and as i myself have shared, we all use multiple sellers at times . . . Whether online or local retail or both. I've mentioned that i have as well shopped for and still shop for such computer- and electronics-related goods and accessories at staples, office max, b&h, j&r, best buy, walmart, k-mart, target, the apple store, the microsoft store, et al and online dealers as well (e.g., amazon, newegg, others). And i had mentioned already that even if and when i buy at some higher-end hardware from micro center, i don't tend to use their store-offered extended warranty and replacement plan (even though they push it) but instead use an online-offered company for such plans (i.e., squaretrade). So, by my mentioning that, does it still sound like i am a commercial for micro center? And there are times when micro center doesn't have the products i want at all or at the price point i want or they are out of it at the time, so i buy elsewhere (most often from amazon but sometimes locally). So, by my mentioning that, does it still sound like i am a commercial for micro center?

And i mentioned that "maybe someday the nyc metro area will have tigerdirect.com stores and fry’s electronics stores open up here (in the nyc area) as well. It's nice to have that option (beyond otherwise ordering from & dealing with an online-only operation)." so i was promoting shopping at other stores and cross-comparing them. Does it still sound like i am a commercial for micro center? It may be the case that you simply haven't read the entire thread and seen all these other comments of mine (which, if you had, would likely result in you judging everything said as a whole as well as in context and therefore not deeming that this thread which i originated simply "sounds like a commercial for micro center").

You can just as well say that this thread sounds like a commercial for newegg or tigerdirect. But i don't take it that way if others mention that they only use newegg or tigerdirect or amazon or other online-only dealers. I just take it as each individual is simply stating what they have found serves them best. If radio shack or dollar tree, for that matter, or whomever else serves you best (and i do happen to buy electronics from both of them at times), then more power to you.

? ? ? ?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Ignoring consumer electronics, appliances, etc., Fry's has a hugely comprehensive inventor of pretty much anything you'd need to build computers, or anything related to computers (peripherals, networking supplies, stuff I've forgotten about, etc.). In addition, they have significant inventory in hard core electronic components (want to build up your own circuit boards, they've got you covered.) Microcenter doesn't go there.

They were also doing this before Microcenter appeared in NY metro. IIRC, the first time I had a raw PC motherboard in my hands was at Frys. Some time after that, Microcenter appeared on Long Island (truth be told, not their first store, but the first in the metro area.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
<snip>

Yet you, having actually been inside a Fry's in Las Vegas, are saying that Fry's is even MORE comprehensive with computer-related hardware and accessories (and again, I am specifically focusing on 'computer-related hardware and accessories", not on cameras or home entertainment systems or home appliances) than Micro Center is? You said that "Micro Center is not quite up to their standard"? So, while you visited Fry's, did you specifically inspect their computer-related hardware and accessories section (as well as other related electronics items like you'd find at Micro Center) and deemed yourself that Fry's exceeds Micro Center across-the-board? Really? I'm not doubting it; I'm just contrasting it with what I think I recall having read or else being told by others in the more distant past.

I'd like to check Fry's out the next time I travel to locations where they are. I know they are in the Atlanta (GA), Chicago (IL), and Indianapolis (IN) areas as well as in the western and southwestern U.S. Just out of curiosity. I know that are a longtime mainstay in the Silicon Valley (which is where they started).

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 PM

99 posts, read 223,947 times
UsAll, I just wanted to thank you for making this thread, I have found it very informative. I feel online is the best route, but I learned a lot from reading the various opinions here. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City