Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 AM

120 posts, read 203,137 times

Advertisements

Wow - you like to hang out in more locations than anyone I have ever met. It must be exhausting. I count close to 50 different neighborhoods in the metro area that you like to hang out in. You must get out often!

(e.g., in New Jersey's Gold Coast such as Jersey City, Hoboken, Newark, Bayonne, Fort Lee, Englewood, Teaneck, Hackensack) or in Westchester County cities (such as Yonkers or White Plains) as they feel more authentic and meant to reflect the needs and mindset of ALL the people of the population-at-large (not just designed to be some type of playground or fantasyland for the uber-super wealthy and for tourists on a Disneyland-like fantasy trip). I still can appreciate and even love Manhattan for what it is and can find nostalgic aspects of it here-and-there (at times) yet the truth is that I'd often rather hang out in Queens (e.g., Sunnyside, Flushing, Jamaica, Elmhurst, College Point, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Fresh Meadows, Howard Beach . . . or wherever), in Brooklyn (e.g., downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Flatbush, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Coney Island, Sheepshead Bay . . . or wherever); in the Bronx (e.g., West Bronx, Throgs Neck, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Pelham Parkway, Parkchester, South Bronx/The Hub, Coop City . . . or wherever); Staten Island (not as familiar with it . . . yet); Jersey City; Hoboken; Newark; one or more of the Oranges; Fort Lee; Bayonne . . . or wherever; or even some urban-like Long Island communities (e.g., Garden City, Mineola, Hempstead Village, West Hempstead, Rockville Centre, Freeport, Long Beach, Hicksville, New Hyde Park . . . or wherever)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
it won't be the same nyc 5 years from now either.
maybe all the corny people will leave by then.
who knows?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it won't be the same nyc 5 years from now either.
maybe all the corny people will leave by then.
who knows?
I know what you mean. Get to get all them thugged out fo' sheezy wangsters to pull up their pants and hightail out of here.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ yeah man, whatever you say, right along with those curved-hat, flannel shirt wearing
wannabe country boys too and all those people who get on the train in their underwear,
without their pants on at all.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
^ I agree. Both groups of people follow certain styles that I would classify as being homogeneous.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
Wow - you like to hang out in more locations than anyone I have ever met. It must be exhausting. I count close to 50 different neighborhoods in the metro area that you like to hang out in. You must get out often!
It wasn't my intent to try to convey that I constantly move about & change my locale (from locale to locale to locale to locale to locale . . . ad infinitum) all the time or even most of the time. Though I do like to take exploratory trips on occasion and just add some changes-of-scenery and variety to my life, here-and-then, to keep it interesting. The intent of my presentation (though perhaps not accomplished by myself) was to give singular examples of other places that I "might" or "do" choose to patronize or hang out in sometimes, rather than always just partaking of Manhattan's offerings. There is only so much I can take or want or need to be constantly immersed in a giant Hollywood- or Disneyland-like movie-set atmosphere and to be in a land (an island) consisting of no private single-family homes but pretty much just apartment buildings & brownstones (along with never-ending tall office buildings and skyscrapers). I guess I want sometimes to be in a more human-scale and homey environment.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 13,884 times
Default Change will always happen.

I've been in NYC most of my life. I've seen it during the Koch-Dinkins Era, up till now.

RACE. Is what changes the city. ETHNICITY. Groups move on to new places, with that the dynamic changes.

NYC was once a crime ridden mess. Before it was a crime ridden mess it was safe(er) and working class.
Most of the middle class no longer exist in the 5 boroughs. They got scared off during the Crack Era.

Things got cleaned up, then a pretty pink ribbon was put on Manhattan. Now it's the SUBURBAN CITY. Let's be real here people.

You have now mostly rich people and poor people. That's what happened to NYC.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Does anyone serious expect NYC to be frozen in time like one big museum piece? Yes it's changed from the Koch/Dinkins era. But the Giuliani/Bloomberg era is now over, and it will change from that too.

A lot of people on this forum are living in the past! Some are living in the 80s as some sort of glorious era. Others are trying to declare Giulani/Bloomberg the second coming of Christ! There were good and bad things about those eras, but they are done. And this era too will have its good or bad things.
for years, we've complained that the strip malls that line major arteries in our suburbs made suburbia look homogenized coast to coast.

well, today, the same things are happening in our great cities: they are becoming clones of each other, terribly generic, and I will fully go along with the concept of disneyficaiton (Times Square being the prime example). so it that sense, i can't go along with this being "just another era". change is inevitable and it is constant….but it isn't always good. and this trend that strips great cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Washington, Los Angeles, etc. of their individuality and personality and make them, in spots, seem like clones of each other is not something i think is very good.

we are losing a sense of place. and that is a sad loss.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
This is only an issue in Midtown and Downtown. Uptown by some standard is still pretty griddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City