Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
It should be permanent! How does anyone in a transit agency merit a car, and sometimes a driver? When they're late for work or a meeting, they should be saying "Damn trains/buses!", like everyone else!

I don't know about permanent, but I'd like it if everyone had to do it at least two weeks out of the year. I was so pleased when I once saw someone dragged off a Select Bus by those uniformed cops because the guy couldn't find his ticket...and it turned out that the guy worked for the MTA! I told him I hoped he'd go back to his office and write a memo complaining about the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 PM

181 posts, read 218,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I hope they have to transfer trains too late at night and realize how "fun" it is waiting 20 minutes for a train to come, and then be so packed you barely get on and this happens at 1am.
Not against the homeless per se but some bearded, hair matted guy stinking like a sewer on a train during the night. Same scene on every car. Train is unventilated, heated. Perfect place for fungus to grow. Let Bratton come on the train then go home to his overheated apartment and put sleep apnea mask on his face, use CPAP because he needs treatment for his sleep apnea.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
If you asked people there 100 biggest issues with the subway, crime would be about number 97. Being made to feel like a subhuman bc of the conditions is a bit bigger of an issue. And the politicians look for ways to pack more and more people into this city, despite infrastructure that is old, outdated, unsafe, and overcapacity at current levels.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Betcha that the minute he leaves for the subway, his security detail notifies the NYPD transit bureau, and that train station and the subway line is swept by 200 cops of anything remotely appearing unpleasant, let alone illegal.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM

384 posts, read 512,609 times
It looks like Bratton is making news re the subway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/ny...w-nytimes&_r=0

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post

Thank god, I hope De Bozo doesn't get all mushy all of a sudden and starts feeling sorry for these hustlers

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
If you asked people there 100 biggest issues with the subway, crime would be about number 97. Being made to feel like a subhuman bc of the conditions is a bit bigger of an issue. And the politicians look for ways to pack more and more people into this city, despite infrastructure that is old, outdated, unsafe, and overcapacity at current levels.
Couldn't agree more. I've taken the subway at 11pm from LIC to Jamaica and I did not feel unsafe. My biggest gripe is service or should I say lack of service. Delays again last night on the E (not as bad as the previous nights though) but waited 10 minutes for a packed train. This morning it was the same. Slow running and stopping for a few minutes at a time. I can deal with panhandlers--I ignore them. The homeless will always be an issue so I don't even let it bother me. But rails breaking down interrupting service causing delays on an almost daily basis just makes me bonkers.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Beat me to it!
Numbers are not startling, but certainly are contrary to other trends, such as fewer murders & robberies, and fewer S&Fs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
If you asked people there 100 biggest issues with the subway, crime would be about number 97.
What do you expect the PC to do about the previous 96? The NYPD has done its job, both above and below ground. If the MTA did as much, the subways and stations would be clean and the trains would be on time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I hope De Bozo doesn't get all mushy all of a sudden and starts feeling sorry for these hustlers
Politicians don't care about this issue. Once the homeless advocates get his ear, he will.

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-06-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM

384 posts, read 512,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Beat me to it!
Numbers are not startling, but certainly are contrary to other trends, such as fewer murders & robberies, and fewer S&Fs.

What do you expect the PC to do about the previous 96? The NYPD has done its job, both above and below ground. If the MTA did as much, the subways and stations would be clean and the trains would be on time.
You have to commend the Times for writing an entire story about Bratton cracking down on quality of life issues without using the words "broken windows". Of course, the issue isn't whether these violations are 97th or 1000th on the list of people's concerns. The issue is that the enforcement of the law for relatively minor infractions discourages both minor infractions AND even greater infractions. That's the insight of the broken window theory.

I wish the Port Authority would follow suit and clean up the PATH system. On weeknights after 12a or so, the PATH trains turn into a homeless shelter. The smell is...something else.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
You have to commend the Times for writing an entire story about Bratton cracking down on quality of life issues without using the words "broken windows". Of course, the issue isn't whether these violations are 97th or 1000th on the list of people's concerns. The issue is that the enforcement of the law for relatively minor infractions discourages both minor infractions AND even greater infractions. That's the insight of the broken window theory.
The same article points out how stop and frisk has been almost completely abandoned. So on one hand, the people doing nothing wrong except walking on the street are left alone, and the people actually doing something wrong are arrested, interrogated, & investigated.

I cannot think of a better solution to the whole stop & frisk controversy.

Don't wanna get stopped? Don't do anything illegal.

simplistically perfect!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City