Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
Is there not some level of cultural bias imbedded within IQ tests?
Could be, I guess. If you have an example, I'd love to hear it.

Ive heard of biases in the old days for blacks who were trying to register to vote - like having to recite the entire US constitution, while their white couterparts had no such requirement.

I was once considered to have a very high IQ on a Nursery School IQ test, because I could identify a Channel Marker and tell the test giver what its purpose was. To me and my family, there was nothing genius about it, since I had been on the water, and around boats since I was 9 months old - but even with that information, they testgiver felt the fact I could understand what it was and what it was for meant I had a very high IQ.

I would say that was a bias - since not everyone gets the opportunity to be on and around boats at such a young age. Why would a Channel Marker even be on a Nursery School IQ test, lol?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Could be, I guess. If you have an example, I'd love to hear it.

Ive heard of biases in the old days for blacks who were trying to register to vote - like having to recite the entire US constitution, while their white couterparts had no such requirement.

I was once considered to have a very high IQ on a Nursery School IQ test, because I could identify a Channel Marker and tell the test giver what its purpose was. To me and my family, there was nothing genius about it, since I had been on the water, and around boats since I was 9 months old - but even with that information, they testgiver felt the fact I could understand what it was and what it was for meant I had a very high IQ.

I would say that was a bias - since not everyone gets the opportunity to be on and around boats at such a young age. Why would a Channel Marker even be on a Nursery School IQ test, lol?
That is my thought too.
after all, the tests were designed by humans with artificial subjects tested.

say if the iq test happens to be heavily focused on skiing related issues, i bet norweigians would stand out to be the world's smartest group. swedes would be very upset because they always believe that they are better and smarter than their neighboring cousins.

again, the africans may not test high on iq tests because education and mental related training are not strong parts in their cultural life in the long past, as is evidenced by the still lagging levels of education on that continent overall.

iq test and genetics theory of human behaviors may be a hit or miss when applied to resolve complex socialbiological issues.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is my thought too.
after all, the tests were designed by humans with artificial subjects tested.

say if the iq test happens to be heavily focused on skiing related issues, i bet norweigians would stand out to be the world's smartest group. swedes would be very upset because they always believe that they are better and smarter than their neighboring cousins.

again, the africans may not test high on iq tests because education and mental related training are not strong parts in their cultural life in the long past, as is evidenced by the still lagging levels of education on that continent overall.

iq test and genetics theory of human behaviors may be a hit or miss when applied to resolve complex socialbiological issues.
I agree.

Im sure if the test wanted me to identify snow skis, I would of probably identified them as water skis, lol.

And, if African animals had to be identified, I might not have been able to complete it, unless I had seen them on Animal Planet or in cartoons. Its all relative to what you are exposed to in life, I guess. And, probably how important those things are to your particular family dynamic.

The water and boats were very important to my family back then. We were on them every weekend, fishing.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I agree.

Im sure if the test wanted me to identify snow skis, I would of probably identified them as water skis, lol.

And, if African animals had to be identified, I might not have been able to complete it, unless I had seen them on Animal Planet or in cartoons. Its all relative to what you are exposed to in life, I guess. And, probably how important those things are to your particular family dynamic.

The water and boats were very important to my family back then. We were on them every weekend, fishing.
What you are exposed to in life makes a difference to be sure. I've been lucky to have been exposed to a lot of things in life, which I've been grateful for.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,849 times
How the **** this go to slavery and IQ tests

praise the troll

praise troll

good one

lol slavery no seriously wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City