Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Non-segregated doesn't mean better schools

I don't know why people assume white people would make a school better

Schools get better when all the parents get involved and demand accountability
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 17,157 times
It is also important to note that students identified as Hispanics/Latino account for 40% of enrollment, while white students account for 15%. Simple mathematics will tell you that there is a greater chance of a white student sharing a class with a Latino student than the other way around.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM

384 posts, read 512,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have it completely backwards. When neighborhoods gentrify their kids go to the zoned schools and there's a bigger mix of kids (aka less segregation)
Indeed. Actually, most of the anti-gentrification rants you read on this forum and other places essentially double as pro-segregation arguments.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I didn’t realize that whites are 44 percent of the population but only make up 15 percent of public school students. With such small numbers, it’s impossible to be well integrated. For example, 19 schools districts have a white student enrolment of 10 percent or fewer. However, if the city-wide average is only 15 percent, is 10 percent really so egregious?

The real issues are economics and social class, not school segregation, per se. Whites tend to be more affluent and able to afford private schools. They also have few children and have them later in life. When they do have children, they’re often tempted to move to the suburbs.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Gentrification has not improved public school system in NYC yet besides P. S 321 in park slope.
321 and Park Slope are classics. These are hyper-liberal people who will tell you how much they cherish diversity. Except, of course, in their neighborhood and elementary school. Park Slope is one of the most homogeneous communities in New York City in terms of race (white), education (huge proportion of college grads), income (not many poor/working-class people around) and politics (how many votes did poor Joe Lhota get?).

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
321 and Park Slope are classics. These are hyper-liberal people who will tell you how much they cherish diversity. Except, of course, in their neighborhood and elementary school. Park Slope is one of the most homogeneous communities in New York City in terms of race (white), education (huge proportion of college grads), income (not many poor/working-class people around) and politics (how many votes did poor Joe Lhota get?).
But they probably have a black nanny so its ok.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 39,746 times
Thanks for your opinion everyone. It's just what I read and what I thought about it. I believe what the post also said was, the schools with more whites performs way better than the schools with mostly minorities. Either way segregation is still massive in NYC. I do agree also that we tend to live among people of our culture. For example, gun hill road in the Bronx has so many West Indian, when am there it's like am in the Caribbean. Where I live all I hear is Spanish because it's about 90% Dominican. I want my child to go to a school with every race, not just blacks, Hispanics or just white.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 40,228 times
As everyone has noted this is a real estate / neighborhood issues.

Everyone knows Flushing is Asians
Everyone knows Brighton Beach is Russians
Everyone knows Corona / Roosevelt is the true melting pot of the City (Everyone from Central America to Asia)
Everyone knows Borough Park is Jewish
Everyone knows Flashbush are people from Caribbean
Everyone knows Richmond Hill are West Indians (Guyanese , Trinidad)
Everyone knows Washington Heights is Dominicans
Etc...

YOU GET THE POINT.
Obviously, the schools in these and other neighborhoods are going to reflect the people who live in these neighborhoods. It's just because these schools are 'zone' schools by your address.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbronxguy View Post
Thanks for your opinion everyone. It's just what I read and what I thought about it. I believe what the post also said was, the schools with more whites performs way better than the schools with mostly minorities. Either way segregation is still massive in NYC.
Another issue is that the city is enormous, traffic is terrible and many people don’t have cars. Other cities can move students around with (relative) ease, but you can’t do that in New York.

I have a problem with the word “segregation” because it’s fraught with emotional baggage and historically described a legal system of discrimination, i.e., “Segregation.” It would be nice is schools were more ethnically mixed, but to say that the schools are “segregated” is a bit unfair.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
What's your problem? If you are non white why would you want your kids around white people? Why can't you just let white people be? As a person who went to public school all his life in nyc, it is not beneficial to be bussing kids from a different area to come to a community that's not there's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City