Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What do the vendors do? They must have amazing "holding it in" powers. That or they wear diapers. Ewwww
Lmfao @ diapers lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
The reason why there are no bathrooms is pretty simple. New Yorkers just can't have nice things. Maybe it's a sheer numbers game, maybe with so many people no one has a sense of self responsibility. Maybe just too many low class people and homeless / drug addicts, etc that ruin things for everyone.
Look at anything public. The subway, penn station, port authority, trash thrown all over the streets. Unfortunately, there are too many 'people' that can't live like civilized human beings and must ruin things for everyone else.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I never ever understood people complaining about a lack of bathrooms. I've never met a true New Yorker who doesn't keep a mental list of accessible bathrooms in the neighborhoods that they frequent. Whether they be bars, coffee shops, bookstores, whatever.
This! Even when you are in areas you don't frequent in manhattan, you know the types of places you can go to to use a bathroom. And I've never had to buy anything to use one either. Bars are actually great places to go! You just walk right in and head to the back. If it's before noon then big chain stores are good places to go.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:23 PM

175 posts, read 487,128 times
Go to Hotel bathrooms, they're the best. You can walk into almost any hotel, act like you stay there, go to the 2nd floor or some floor where they hold events or meetings, and use the bathroom. My personal favorite is the grand hyatt in grand central, it has super clean and private stalls. Nobody will ever stop you.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I do it in the woods...

Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Best perk of my job: Bathrooms in Chelsea Market. The line for the public ones is 5 miles long.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The reason why there are no bathrooms is pretty simple. New Yorkers just can't have nice things. Maybe it's a sheer numbers game, maybe with so many people no one has a sense of self responsibility. Maybe just too many low class people and homeless / drug addicts, etc that ruin things for everyone.
Look at anything public. The subway, penn station, port authority, trash thrown all over the streets. Unfortunately, there are too many 'people' that can't live like civilized human beings and must ruin things for everyone else.
Yup

Old 03-29-2014, 05:59 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's a great list...but still doesn't address the point: Why are there virtually no public bathrooms in the "greatest city in the world." It's an embarassment and ridiculous in 2014 you have to sneak into private businesses and establishments in order to urinate...private businesses should not be shouldering the burden for the lack of public bathrooms in NYC. Restrooms are for customers, as they should be...NYC in so many ways is really so far behind major cities across the world and country for that matter....this is one of those examples.
It probably isn't for this reason, but I think public bathrooms would just be too much of a burden because ppl r fcking disgusting. They can hire all the staff in the world to clean but ppl will continue to make messes and be disgusting. You cannot change how ppl behave, especially as adults. The bathroom in my office alone gets gross sometimes and we are a small office. There are about 30 women who use 3 bathroom stalls and sometimes the sht I see is ridiculous: grown women don't flush the toilet after themselves, urine everywhere, somehow balls of toilet tissue end up on the floor, or there are paper towels left on the floor after they've fallen out of the trash chute like who does that?! In a private office where YOU work and use the facilities everyday how could you NOT clean up after yourself? It seems like when people do not own smthg they do not care how it is upkept. I find that to be true especially in NYC. For some reason NYers have this sense of "oh someone will take care of it". Trash and disgustingness is the individual's fault and responsibility. Look at the subways..who you think puts all that trash around.. it ain't the MTA! In a city where the population is now over 8 million you REALLY think public bathrooms would go over well?? Methinks not. Also, as a previous poster said women are indeed disgusting, and I'm a woman so that says a lot.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It's been said before but it remains very true nevertheless: "Cities are built for Corporations, not people."
Corporations do not need to pyss.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 AM

384 posts, read 512,248 times
People seem to manage with the lack of public bathrooms quite well. Maybe my sense of smell isn't what it used to be, but I haven't noticed a bunch of people walking around crapping and pissing themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City