Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 12:41 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

And please don't say that Santa Claus brings it.

Excuse me if this is a dumb question. It had seemed to me that property tax sky-rocketed after 9/11, and I was under the impression that it was due to Bloomberg. I hadn't given it much thought until it became disastrous for co-ops, but then I also started realizing how it affects everything, including prices of items in stores.

So I was startled to hear something about Cuomo planning to bring down property taxes. Have I been blaming the wrong person all these years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Excuse me if this is a dumb question. It had seemed to me that property tax sky-rocketed after 9/11, and I was under the impression that it was due to Bloomberg. I hadn't given it much thought until it became disastrous for co-ops, but then I also started realizing how it affects everything, including prices of items in stores.

So I was startled to hear something about Cuomo planning to bring down property taxes. Have I been blaming the wrong person all these years?
You'll have to be more specific as your question is too broad.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

I'm not sure I'm able to be more specific. I'm in a co-op and the tax burden spiked after Bloomberg took office. I assumed that the city (or county) determined property taxes, so I was startled when it was mentioned in terms of the governor.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,428 times
I'm in a co-op and my property taxes didn't rise much. Can you give details of what percent rise in the taxes you saw?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
I'm in a co-op and my property taxes didn't rise much. Can you give details of what percent rise in the taxes you saw?

No - no idea. But whenever we have an annual meeting, that's where the discussion goes at some point, apropos of assessments and maintenance increases. I think it was pretty widely acknowledged that property taxes went up markedly after 9/11.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Your property taxes go towards paying the labor unions in NYC. So you should be very concerned whenever these labor unions start demanding pay raises and more benefits because that would require raising your taxes to make up the short fall.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,211 times
In NYC property taxes are calculated based on the type of building, it's assessed value, and it's market value. Buildings are classified into four different classes, and the property tax percentage varies based on the class.

I would explain more, but this link does it way better than what I could: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/download...ss_2_guide.pdf

(That link is for Class 2, which includes co-ops with 4+ units- figured that's the one that your property probably falls under).

Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
^^^
That's a very good presentation.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM

353 posts, read 1,007,428 times
The presentation shows the largest portion of property tax coming from buildings (including mine) classified as class 2. This Daily News article New York's tax attack*on co-ops and condos* - NY Daily News discusses this. One portion says "Yet while the city assesses and taxes one- to three-family homes at a maximum of 6% of its market value with annual increases capped at 6% per year, the assessed value of a co-op or condo is generally 45% of its market value, and increases can be as high as 20% per year." Hmmm... I haven't noticed any major increases so I wonder if it just happens whether or not the city has yet gotten around to reassessing the value. I'm sure the market value in most neighborhoods has risen over the past several years.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Property taxes come from the paychecks of property owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: