Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
With all this talk about hipsters and yuppies I wonder if we'll see a Little Midwest.
I can go for that;

Yeeehaaaaa.
Attached Thumbnails
Little Italy On The Brink Of Extinction ...................-image.jpg  

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 03-31-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Did you read the article I pasted? Where does it say Mount Kisco? Come on your a Jesuit educated man! Yes, Morris Park is a very Italian area. Why do you find that hard to believe? Is it as Italian as it once was? No but if you go to St. Clares or Xavier Churches, you can find an Italian mass. Yes, Mt Carmel still has a mass in Italian btw.
I'm sorry, I didn't know what "MP" referred to.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 AM

58 posts, read 179,854 times
Surely, mine is a voice out of the choir… but last year, when I’ve been to Little Italy, I talked to many dealers there and somebody told me that some italians still live in Little Italy. Indeed, looking at the doorbells along Mulberry Street, you can find some Italian names, is not so true that no Italians live there…
And about Arthur Av, I’ve been there for a day and I can say that many Italian people live there. I met people that live there and that spoke Italian or different Italian dialect, people proud to live there…
Bensonhurst is another Italian area, where Italian people live… there is a pretty residential area, with many beautiful small houses inhabited by Italian people..
But, yes, unfortunately Little Italy in Manhattan is the less Italian neighbourhood left in New York…

Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
With all this talk about hipsters and yuppies I wonder if we'll see a Little Midwest.
Doubt it. Plenty of Hipster/Yuppie Transplants who come from Americas picket white fence Cul de Sacs are social rejects of their own enviornments and to a certain degree they have a sense of superiority and satisfaction about themselves to moving to NYC or some other big city than remaining in the burbs after college. Hipster/Yuppie Transplant are liberal and not moderate or conservative, highly educated and value density. These folks conform to urban living, but they do try hard to bring some suburban culture to cities like NY which does not fit to well. Sad thing is these folks will end up back in the suburbs eventually. So therefore I don't see no Little Midwest happening soon. Maybe we can call Gay Street little Wisconsin thanks to a couple of Transplant bars in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I can go for that;

Yeeehaaaaa.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavide74 View Post
Surely, mine is a voice out of the choir… but last year, when I’ve been to Little Italy, I talked to many dealers there and somebody told me that some italians still live in Little Italy. Indeed, looking at the doorbells along Mulberry Street, you can find some Italian names, is not so true that no Italians live there…
And about Arthur Av, I’ve been there for a day and I can say that many Italian people live there. I met people that live there and that spoke Italian or different Italian dialect, people proud to live there…
Bensonhurst is another Italian area, where Italian people live… there is a pretty residential area, with many beautiful small houses inhabited by Italian people..
But, yes, unfortunately Little Italy in Manhattan is the less Italian neighbourhood left in New York…
NYC Italian population has been on the decline for sometime. Bensonhurts is more Eastern now with a large proportion of Chinese and Eastern Europeans like Russians. Little Italy in the Bronx also does not have plenty of Italians who don't live there, however plenty of Italians have business their. In Aruthur Avenue plenty of Mexicans and Albanians live in the area. I'm sure Italians still live in these areas, but they are no longer the ethnic majority.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
34k a month for rent. unbelievable. wow. this is what happened down here in brooklyn in midwood to our local mcdonalds on kings hwy. lease was up and rents shot up to double and mcdonalds closed down. imagine that. an icon closed down because of rising rent.

i never really saw italians living in chinatown for the past 5 or so years. it was just businesses that were italian but residents? it's mostly chinese. i wonder where they have all gone though. long island? they disappeared from bensonhurst (mostly chinese now) as well as bay ridge (arab now) as well as canarsie (black now). where have all the cowboys, er italians, gone?

http://youtu.be/JPR108kwNo4

BrownstoneNY: would you consider the cast of jersey shore "preserving" their italian culture? i am talking about the guido lifestyle. i don't know what italian people are like beyond spaghetti and meatballs and pasta, but do they value GTL? gym tan and staying clean (laundry)? only thing i know about italians is what they look like based on the adult actor named omar galanti because of his "italian" nose

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-01-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavide74 View Post
There are some Italian seniors who stuck around and still live in Belmont, also quite a few Italians come around to visit because they grew up there. Especially on the weekends you will run into older people talking Italian on the streets.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
BrownstoneNY: would you consider the cast of jersey shore "preserving" their italian culture? i am talking about the guido lifestyle. i don't know what italian people are like beyond spaghetti and meatballs and pasta, but do they value GTL? gym tan and staying clean (laundry)? only thing i know about italians is what they look like based on the adult actor named omar galanti because of his "italian" nose
Haha, no. They've developed their own "culture", but it's not Italian, and it would be unrecognizable to their great-grandparents when they stepped off the boat.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Isn't it like a block?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Haha, no. They've developed their own "culture", but it's not Italian, and it would be unrecognizable to their great-grandparents when they stepped off the boat.
I'd consider that Italian American culture today just like how BET is African American culture today.

It is not "their" own culture. Culture, it is ever changing and it is only proper to accept the bad AND good. You want to know why Jersey Shore was not only popular, but created such an uproar? It is because at that time, rarely if ever has a TV show delved into the lives of white adolescent teens/ young adults. It showed the world that, "Guess what America they are just as bad as Blacks, Latinos, maybe not Muslims, Asians, etc." The Jewish school I went to half smoked weed, party 24/7, and of course got drunk just cuz. Girls in Britain pop out babies and drop out of school before they turn 16.

Above IS adolescent culture and the norm for most societies regardless of racial background and is part of your culture.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are some Italian seniors who stuck around and still live in Belmont, also quite a few Italians come around to visit because they grew up there. Especially on the weekends you will run into older people talking Italian on the streets.
This is very true. I remember passing by a Catholic church in Belmont and I saw a sign that said services in Italian. That waa a couple of years ago. Not sure if that changed as of lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City