Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

They're not close enough to be neighbors, but it is one of the last streets I'm on before turning onto mine every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Why does SI suck?

For the taxes you pay, the schools, road infrastructure, and services hardly rival a nearby NJ town across the bridge.

There really ain't much to do, there is one mall and a few small strip malls.

Terrible roads that have not been repaired for years and the I-278 repairs seems to go on forever.

The Verranzano bridge is the biggest ripoff around the tri-state and offers very little benefit. For all this money they collect have they finished with all those badly paved roads and highway?

It's true SI is mostly conservative and a lot of racists live there too very similar to Howard Beach of the 80s.

It really isn't worth it living down there, who knows in another 10-20 yrs most of the south will be under sea water due to melting polar caps.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes it tis, and it isn't just African-Americans or Latinos either as the white/Europeans (Italians, Sicilians, Russians, etc...) aren't always any prizes either. This is one reason why so many natives are leaving SI in droves.

Have never seen so many rude, ignorant, self absorbed persons on SI in my life. They've also brought their criminal/thug attitudes to SI which one supposes comes from having lived in denser type housing all their lives.

You only have to read the comments on SI Live (well no so much anymore as the Advance finally has begun moderating posts) to get an idea of the nasty attitude these persons have brought with them.

By "hood" and "ghetto" it is not just implied AA, but the same again from Italians and others from south Brooklyn.
So Staten Island has become one of the city's dumping grounds. For years the Bronx and the bad parts of Brooklyn are where the city dumped convicts, drug addicts, etc. Now that Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn and Queens near the East River have been cleaned up, Staten Island is a very convenient dumping place.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM

432 posts, read 552,026 times
The trend of leaving for greener pastures (specifically sun belt states) is not unique to SI. For those not seeking the trendy Manhattan/brownstone Brooklyn life, there is less and less incentive to remain in NY in general. I'm pretty sure Long Island has a similar dempgraphic trend, along with some of the NJ suburbs. For those seeking a suburban lifestyle, other regions offer more bang for your buck.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:41 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
I moved to SI from Brooklyn a few years back and I would never ever ever ever ever....move back to Brooklyn. You can keep that overcrowded, overrated, over priced borough.

SI has far more space, it's less crowded, it's cheaper and you get far more for your money.

It's not even close.

They're also updating the ferry service to run every half hour on late nights.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I moved to SI from Brooklyn a few years back and I would never ever ever ever ever....move back to Brooklyn. You can keep that overcrowded, overrated, over priced borough.

SI has far more space, it's less crowded, it's cheaper and you get far more for your money.

It's not even close.

They're also updating the ferry service to run every half hour on late nights.
I agree with many of the points you made. If I had to stay in NYC my whole life, then I would easily move to Staten Island. The borough is ment for middle class city workers IMO

Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree with many of the points you made. If I had to stay in NYC my whole life, then I would easily move to Staten Island. The borough is ment for middle class city workers IMO
Actually, it isn't meant for middle class city workers. It's too far from work if they work and socialize in other parts of NYC (not limited to Manhattan).

SI is going downhill and is the center of New York's heroin epidemic. Not only that, since it's CHEAP and not a part of the URBAN CORE, the city is resettling certain bad elements in SI (dumping them). I've heard particularly from people who work in social services how nursing homes have been converted into SROs, and how those people are being resettled in apartments in SI (particularly in areas hit hard by the hurricane).

Also, people who want to live/participate in NYC want to actually live in NYC, not a fringe borough with almost no direct connections to the rest of the city.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
The only thing that keeps SI nice is that there are a lot of people who believe the crap NYwriter just posted. Although the heroin/pill epidemic is quite real, the level of so-called "street crime" in Staten Island is still far lower than nearly any where else in the city. The south shore that he just described as a veritable hell-hole contains almost all of the top 10 safest neighborhoods in the city, including mine, at #2 according to last year's NYPD stats.

When I used to hang out in Brooklyn, the weirdos never understood how I could possibly be happy that such "cool" people hated where I lived. Maybe they'll understand when they grow up.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
I personally wouldn't have understood what "urban core" meant unless he capitalized it which he so courteously took the liberty of doing. Thank you, kind sir...

Old 07-04-2014, 06:39 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The only thing that keeps SI nice is that there are a lot of people who believe the crap NYwriter just posted. Although the heroin/pill epidemic is quite real, the level of so-called "street crime" in Staten Island is still far lower than nearly any where else in the city. The south shore that he just described as a veritable hell-hole contains almost all of the top 10 safest neighborhoods in the city, including mine, at #2 according to last year's NYPD stats.

When I used to hang out in Brooklyn, the weirdos never understood how I could possibly be happy that such "cool" people hated where I lived. Maybe they'll understand when they grow up.
While the problems on SI are real, Heroin is a problem in many parts of NJ, Conn, MA, etc.. as well. It is also claiming the same victims/users; White/European young and middle aged persons.

It seems not a day passes when you don't seen an obituary in the SI Advance for a twenty or thirty something young adult that died "at home" with no other information given such as illness or cause of death. Sadly this has become a code for OD deaths and if you read between the lines and or know the family.....

If one didn't work in Manhattan and or that is could remain on SI for most of the day during the week wouldn't be totally against going back home. There are some beautiful homes in places such as Westerleigh, Randall Manor, Todt Hill and elsewhere on the North Shore or center of the Island that have nice lots and good sized yards. On a day like today (post rain of course) it is great to do what my parents and family always did; invite some close friends and family over and BBQ. Am willing to bet those living on any of the various hills on the NS and going up to Todt/Emerson Hill will have nice views of some of the fireworks later on tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City