Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
UES is boring for someone my age
You're a troll who probably isn't 22 and who probably doesn't make 70k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Around 96th I think. It was up there. I know theres a Starbucks across the street from the subway, so wherever that is.

I dont think so.. I think some people my age take pride in struggling in NYC. Paying more in rent than they can really afford, but just chalking it up to the struggles of a young 20 something in the city.

That's not my thing...
The true reality, Mr. Troll, is that there are almost no 22 year olds outside of Justin Bieber who can afford a nice place in Manhattan with their own MONEY. Either those places are rented out or bought by older people, or someone's parents are paying for their kids to have a nice place in a nice part of town.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM

103 posts, read 162,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The true reality, Mr. Troll, is that there are almost no 22 year olds outside of Justin Bieber who can afford a nice place in Manhattan with their own MONEY. Either those places are rented out or bought by older people, or someone's parents are paying for their kids to have a nice place in a nice part of town.
You're talking about the extrme end of the spectrum.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
OP is a Tool, no where is good enough.

He's the same dude who wanted to live in soho/village etc with roommates in a 2 bedroom for $3000.
If you want certain locations you have to pay. If not there are many fine locations further away in your price range.
Ahhh yes but they may be to uncool for you. When will you realize that most people don't hang out in their neighborhood they live in. The benefit of living in nyc is to go everywhere with the ease of the train.
I found a 2br in SoHo for $1750 per person. Couldnt get it though. slightly above 3k a month all in, but its possible.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
...there are almost no 22 year olds outside of Justin Bieber who can afford a nice place in Manhattan with their own MONEY. Either those places are rented out or bought by older people, or someone's parents are paying for their kids to have a nice place in a nice part of town.
Agree. Or they have a large trust fund to live off of (for a couple years at least) amd their parents are paying the majority of their rent/ living expenses.

A fair percentage of 20 something's in the NYC metro area live at home during and after college since they're saddled with massive student loans and living in a nice place in NYC would be great but they need the income and credit to do that (40x the rent) Even splitting the rent with roommates is a bit of stretch because again of having college loans and/ or credit card debt. In this economy living in NYC is a bit of a luxury, especially Manhattan. A lot of 20 something's are set back financially compared to previous decades. It's actually pretty worrying how financially behind lot of people my age are and how that will impact things in the future...

Quote:
I found a 2br in SoHo for $1750 per person. Couldnt get it though. slightly above 3k a month all in, but its possible.
It's doable but why do you want to live in SoHo? The streets are clogged with tourists during much of the year; NYer's try to avoid areas going through areas like that, let alone living in them. Plus that's a bit much to be paying for a roommate share IMO. You can get studios and 1 bedrooms at that price in the other boroughs and Upper Manhattan.

BTW, where are you living now?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Me? Pushing 50, but I moved into the area in '91. But there's a huge range. Some parts of the area are post collegiate frat house, some are old, and very big money, and there's essentially everone else.

How old are you?

Quote:
How old are you in the UES tho? Most people I see are mid 20s +. I want to be around people my age

Old 04-08-2014, 01:55 PM

That's 96th and Lex. 96th is the border of UES and Harlem. However there's been a lot of non-Harlem like development on the north side of 96th and up to 97th, so the border is blurrier than it used to be.

Quote:
Around 96th I think. It was up there. I know theres a Starbucks across the street from the subway, so wherever that is.

That's not my thing...

Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Agree. Or they have a large trust fund to live off of (for a couple years at least) amd their parents are paying the majority of their rent/ living expenses.

A fair percentage of 20 something's in the NYC metro area live at home during and after college since they're saddled with massive student loans and living in a nice place in NYC would be great but they need the income and credit to do that (40x the rent) Even splitting the rent with roommates is a bit of stretch because again of having college loans and/ or credit card debt. In this economy living in NYC is a bit of a luxury, especially Manhattan. A lot of 20 something's are set back financially compared to previous decades. It's actually pretty worrying how financially behind lot of people my age are and how that will impact things in the future...

It's doable but why do you want to live in SoHo? The streets are clogged with tourists during much of the year; NYer's try to avoid areas going through areas like that, let alone living in them. Plus that's a bit much to be paying for a roommate share IMO. You can get studios and 1 bedrooms at that price in the other boroughs and Upper Manhattan.

BTW, where are you living now?
I'm back at home until I can figure out a more permanent living situation which has to be soon because ideally I would want to sign a lease in June or July.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmw View Post
me? Pushing 50, but i moved into the area in '91. But there's a huge range. Some parts of the area are post collegiate frat house, some are old, and very big money, and there's essentially everone else.

How old are you?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:57 PM

You'd probably like it up here. Don't fall for the downtown propaganda.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City