Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

No, that's the wrong idea. If he/she is making $70K/year, they've obviously hooked up with a good position. They should stay, build a career, and move up the ladder a few rungs. At that point maybe it's time to look elsewhere. Either that, or they'll be making enough money to live decently here.

If they have to live in an overpriced dump, and/or with roommates for a few years, they can deal with it. We all did. If NY is good for anything it's as a place to build a career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL885 View Post
Brooklyn is priced out now, too. Have you thought of relocating while you're young? You can have a great lifestyle in many other areas if you are flexible, plus you may actually be able to purchase a home and save something for retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM

103 posts, read 162,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No, that's the wrong idea. If he/she is making $70K/year, they've obviously hooked up with a good position. They should stay, build a career, and move up the ladder a few rungs. At that point maybe it's time to look elsewhere. Either that, or they'll be making enough money to live decently here.

If they have to live in an overpriced dump, and/or with roommates for a few years, they can deal with it. We all did. If NY is good for anything it's as a place to build a career.
My pay is structured so the following year I would be making 80k, but I dont want to spend anymore than $1,500 a month on rent, but I also dont want to live in a bad part of Manhattan. This does not seem possible....

Basically, just because Im making more money, I dont want to spend more money on rent.. because i don't think the realized benefit will be very noticeable

Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post
70k for 22 years old?! You must feel very lucky. Mind to ask you what you do for living? Try Astoria in Queens, or Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. These neighborhoods are still way more affordable than Manhattan and still you have a good place to hang out in your free time.
I work in the business field

Those neighborhoods would be a long commute to the Manhattan office

Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 PM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
I work in the business field

Those neighborhoods would be a long commute to the Manhattan office

I thought you might play for the Knicks on a ten day contract. LOL

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think Astoria, Sunnyside and Woodside in Queens are good areas for a young person and are a short/convenient commute to Manhattan.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
How about getting a roommate?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
My pay is structured so the following year I would be making 80k, but I dont want to spend anymore than $1,500 a month on rent, but I also dont want to live in a bad part of Manhattan. This does not seem possible....

Basically, just because Im making more money, I dont want to spend more money on rent.. because i don't think the realized benefit will be very noticeable
http://www.prestonny.com/detail.aspx?id=1297481

How extensively did you search? this was a half ass search and i found something within your budget in the UES.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
mingle

although as a young adult regardless of financial position, your goal is not to pay rent or splurge.

It is to create reserves.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
http://www.prestonny.com/detail.aspx?id=1297481

How extensively did you search? this was a half ass search and i found something within your budget in the UES.

UES is boring for someone my age

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM

158 posts, read 332,979 times
Quote:
Yea, but in Manhattan its either nice in a nice neighborhood ($$$$$). Not nice, in a nice neighborhood ($$$), Nice in a bad neighborhood ($$), Bad in a bad neighborbood ($).

Its like there is no inbetween.. decent place, in a nice neighborhood for a 22 y/o
You forgot this: ($$$$)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City