Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,810 times

Advertisements

hey well i've been searching the internet for a while and can't seem to get information on this.If i do a year in monroe will I be able to transfer into any CUNY or SUNY school? I was recently rejected by cuny,even from their community colleges.My SAT was CR540 M530 WR490. now the thing is i'm an international student and back home we have some sort of post secondary institution which i attended but did not take seriously at all because all they offered was a certificate,and ultimately my GPA paid for it.its been about three years since i left it and now im trying to get back into school.What should I do? I've heard multiple stories about useless monroe is and I simply wish to use them as a stepping stone to correct my poor GPA and hopefully transfer after the first year.Any luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:09 AM

anyone?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
Hi,
My name is Craig Patrick, I'm the Executive Director of Enrollment at Monroe College (full disclosure). Monroe College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the same accreditation as CUNY or SUNY. Our graduation rates are significantly higher than those at CUNY, but our tuition is higher and we do not offer as wide a range of degree programs. The characterization of Monroe as 'useless" runs counter to our graduation rates and the many positive comments students make about the focus they receive from both our faculty and administration. We have nearly 500 international students from over 50 countries studying with us right now. But don't take my word for it, call our international admissions office (718-933-6700) and speak with an international admissions counselor from your country. The counselor may be able to provide you with some graduates from your country that can give you "real" insights into the Monroe College experience. Tell the admissions counselor that I sent you.
PS Your GPA may be a major sticking point with us as well, but we will interview you to understand your situation and assess your entire admissions package before making a decision about admitting you to the college.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowhead View Post
hey well i've been searching the internet for a while and can't seem to get information on this.If i do a year in monroe will I be able to transfer into any CUNY or SUNY school? I was recently rejected by cuny,even from their community colleges.My SAT was CR540 M530 WR490. now the thing is i'm an international student and back home we have some sort of post secondary institution which i attended but did not take seriously at all because all they offered was a certificate,and ultimately my GPA paid for it.its been about three years since i left it and now im trying to get back into school.What should I do? I've heard multiple stories about useless monroe is and I simply wish to use them as a stepping stone to correct my poor GPA and hopefully transfer after the first year.Any luck?
I'm pretty surprised all of the CUNY communities rejected you. Did you apply to all of them? Maybe something was wrong with your application.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM

To the Monroe representative thanks for the input,I am honestly lost here I am not sure what steps I should take,I have actually taken it upon myself to disregard the stories so to speak and do my personal investigations and I have taken note of the accreditation by the board. I've seen many positive comments about Monroe as well so I'm trying to simply weed out fact from truth,I honestly have no problem trying my luck at Monroe and hopefully getting through, but would I be able to facilitate a transfer to another school such as one in CUNY or SUNY without too much hassle? Will an improvement in my GPA be noted? and to Nooyowk I am not sure to be honest I thought community college was an open door institution. My original plan was to attend a community college and from there decide what step I wanted to make next,which again is why I had some small reservations about Monroe.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowhead View Post
To the Monroe representative thanks for the input,I am honestly lost here I am not sure what steps I should take,I have actually taken it upon myself to disregard the stories so to speak and do my personal investigations and I have taken note of the accreditation by the board. I've seen many positive comments about Monroe as well so I'm trying to simply weed out fact from truth,I honestly have no problem trying my luck at Monroe and hopefully getting through, but would I be able to facilitate a transfer to another school such as one in CUNY or SUNY without too much hassle? Will an improvement in my GPA be noted? and to Nooyowk I am not sure to be honest I thought community college was an open door institution. My original plan was to attend a community college and from there decide what step I wanted to make next,which again is why I had some small reservations about Monroe.
You should have followed up with the admissions departments at those community colleges where you were rejected. You are probably not meeting some pre-req. Maybe they need you to take some courses first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: