Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

I have never tried Chick-a-fil but I will if given the opportunity.

But given the price of all meats and fish inflating very rapidly there is a tendency for chicken to be the only relative cheapy, consequently many people, me included, are getting a little sick of chicken-chicken-chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

But given the price of all meats and fish inflating very rapidly there is a tendency for chicken to be the only relative cheapy, consequently many people, me included, are getting a little sick of chicken-chicken-chicken.
You haven't been shopping for chicken lately have you? Chicken prices have gone up to the point one is wondering if they have gone on strike or something.

Prices for the horrid "yellow" stuff like Tyson's, Perdue etc... aren't as horrid, but won't touch that stuff with a barge pole. The better brands like Bell & Evans, Heartland, etc.... are another matter.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Oh please with the Chicken Snobbery. So many picky people...picky, picky, picky..

this country needs about 6 months of famine to end this pickiness.

Now eat your Frank Perdues and be happy.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But it is very clear that those making excuses for their "personal beliefs" would be singing a different tune had they claimed they don't like blacks, or women don't belong in the workforce...it's just their "personal opinions" right?

Or it's very clear that you're either selectively reading or outright ignoring posts. Once again. This was in response to you claiming that everybody would be singing a different tune if he had these public beliefs about blacks or women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I'd still eat it if I were in the mood for some fast food chicken. I probably wouldn't spend weekends with the dude at his vacation home, but I'll eat his friggin chicken if I feel so inclined. I couldn't care less what his beliefs are. And people who let that affect what they eat are free not to partake.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
I like Chik-Fil-A also...as far as fast food goes..it's probably one of the best. As for the politics of this all....when a CEO voices a "personal" opinion, you cannot distance the company from that. A cashier? Accountant? Delivery guy? YES...CEO? CFO?COO? NO. They run the company with their personal views, which is why they are closed on Sundays.

The question is this: Had they used the bible to say women are 2nd class citizens, or blacks are inferior, or any other socially unacceptable statement/belief by invoking the bible as an excuse, nobody would say it is ok or "it's their belief and we should respect it." But since it is against a still socially acceptable discrimination, then it is ok to allow it...and ultimately that's what is happening. Had this been 50 years ago...the women and black comments would have been ok too....right?
Well said.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Lol, tell me about it. My wife made us eliminate red meat but seafood is expensive so we eat chicken practically every day. Gets boring fast!!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 PM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
Quote:
I like Chik-Fil-A also...as far as fast food goes..it's probably one of the best. As for the politics of this all....when a CEO voices a "personal" opinion, you cannot distance the company from that. A cashier? Accountant? Delivery guy? YES...CEO? CFO?COO? NO. They run the company with their personal views, which is why they are closed on Sundays.

The question is this: Had they used the bible to say women are 2nd class citizens, or blacks are inferior, or any other socially unacceptable statement/belief by invoking the bible as an excuse, nobody would say it is ok or "it's their belief and we should respect it." But since it is against a still socially acceptable discrimination, then it is ok to allow it...and ultimately that's what is happening. Had this been 50 years ago...the women and black comments would have been ok too....right?
If you're referencing biblical standards, contemporary standards of "social acceptability" have nothing to do with how his statements are interpreted by Christians. Only scriptural standards matter in the context of objective moral beliefs.

Discrimination against blacks isn't biblical, so if the CEO were to make racist comments, I would be very upset. Gender hierarchy, however, is a central part of Christian ontology (it ties in typologically to the concept of salvation) so any view expressed to that effect wouldn't make me bat an eyelid.

You can call it "oppression of women" if you've been socially conditioned by feminism, but such claims don't hold up to sociological scrutiny. As long as the CEO shows integrity in the context of his belief system, and I accept the right for him to express said beliefs, I wouldn't care one bit about eating at Chik-fil-A.

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 04-11-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
You do realize the bible has been used/abused for hundreds of years to excuse and justify behavior, slavery, exploitation...the list goes on and on. You can always find something in the bible to support/justify almost anything. But that's neither here nor there...

I don't care if the CEO believes that we are from planet Zomar, but when they run the business as such is where we have an issue, and where government and regulators have issues. We know that they run their business with their personal religious beliefs, and because of that, and only because of that, is where all the problems lie. He can say personally whatever he likes, the problem is what he personally believes is how the company is run.

Kinda like if Burger King were bought by Islamic fundamentalists, and the CEO expressed his "personal beliefs" regarding a host of Islamic issues and they run the company as such. I sincerely doubt you and everyone else in the US would claim "as long as the CEO shows integrity in the context of his belief system, and I accept the right for him to express said beliefs, I wouldn't care one bit about eating at Chik-fil-A."

Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
Quote:
You do realize the bible has been used/abused for hundreds of years to excuse and justify behavior, slavery, exploitation...the list goes on and on. You can always find something in the bible to support/justify almost anything. But that's neither here nor there...

I don't care if the CEO believes that we are from planet Zomar, but when they run the business as such is where we have an issue, and where government and regulators have issues. We know that they run their business with their personal religious beliefs, and because of that, and only because of that, is where all the problems lie. He can say personally whatever he likes, the problem is what he personally believes is how the company is run.

Kinda like if Burger King were bought by Islamic fundamentalists, and the CEO expressed his "personal beliefs" regarding a host of Islamic issues and they run the company as such. I sincerely doubt you and everyone else in the US would claim "as long as the CEO shows integrity in the context of his belief system, and I accept the right for him to express said beliefs, I wouldn't care one bit about eating at Chik-fil-A."
This is typical theologically illiterate Dawkinsnet nonsense.

It helps to understand basic biblical ideas such as:
1. The distinction between narrative and commandment.
2. The distinction between Mosaic Law and Ministry of Spirit.
3. What ancient ideas of indentured servitude translate to in the modern vernacular.

Once you've read what the Bible actually says (and not what some pimpled atheist teenage basement dweller tells you on his blog) then you can start formulating a substantive critique of the Bible.

Your second comment is the non sequitur fallacy. Of course I'd object if a muslim were to express views that would contradict mine. You do understand how objective moral ontology works, right? If not I suggest you start your education here: Moral Realism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:

Other than being closed on Sundays, how is chick-fil-A run with his personal religious beliefs? I'm legitimately curious and am not looking to necessarily argue with you with this particular question. I'm assuming you know something I don't and I'm willing to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City