Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times

Advertisements

Question: I suppose I could do intensive research myself on each of the respective relevant websites right now but I thought I had done this various times over the past couple of years on said websites and my various findings (if I remember them all correctly) were that the following 4 numbered transit entities are all operational 24/7/365 (though we all know that service in the very late night or middle of the night will be less-frequent than other times of day -- but that they are still operational during those very-late-night and middle-of-the-night hours):

(1) LIRR: 24/7/365
(2) MTA Commuter Rail (going north of NYC to 6 NY State counties north of NYC as well as to 2 counties in southwestern Connecticut): 24/7/365
(3) PATH Subway: 24/7/365
(4) Staten Island Railway: 24/7/365

As to the MTA New York City Subways: Now it had been what I thought was my historical knowledge and experience that the entire MTA New York City Subway System was 24/7/365 yet I thought I've seen some commenters in the past in some C-D forum threads say "No, such-and-such subway line does not operate 24/7/365" in reference to one or more subway lines within the 5 boroughs of New York City.

As to the MTA New York City Buses: I'm not sure that I recall that every single bus line within the 5 boroughs of NYC operates 24/7/365 or not. Do they all or do they not all run 24/7/365 (and again, not offering guesses or surmises but only drawing on your specific verified knowledge and/or experience)?

And again, let me reiterate for a 2nd time (as stated earlier): Even with a subway or bus or commuter rail line being called "24/7/365", we all know that service in the very late night or middle of the night will be less-frequent than other times of day . . . so there is no need for you to put forth here that some of these lines are not 24/7/365 just because service during those hours is that much less frequent during those hours. For if you can catch a subway or commuter rail or bus at 3 AM or 4:30 am or whenever at all, (instead of not being able to do so), then it is properly classified as a 24/7/365 train or bus line.

NOTE # 1: It is already known by myself that the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (serving along with Hudson River-adjoining "Gold Coast" of New Jersey from New York City) is not 24/7/365.

NOTE # 2: It is already known by myself that the Staten Island Ferry is 24/7/365.

IN SUMMARY: So do any of you know for a fact that some of the subway or commuter rail or bus lines actually do not, in fact, run 24/7/365 . . . despite many people thinking that they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,955 times
I think you nailed it. The only one I've experienced that wasn't 24/7 was the HBLR.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Like I used to think that the entire Chicago, IL metro area subway system (called the Chicago Transit Authority or CTA) operated 24/7/365 but now read that only two of its subway lines do so. I don't know if they all used to be 24/7/365 and then had later cutbacks or if it has always been the case that only those two lines were 24/7/365.

Similarly, the Philadelphia, PA subway system (called Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority or SEPTA) used to be 24/7/365 but sometime in the 1990s stopped this practice. (Yet the PATCO trains between Philadelphia and Camden, NJ and then going up to Trenton, NJ operate 24/7/365.)

In other words, changes in hours-of-operation can occur over the course of time in a transit system.

Last edited by UsAll; 04-24-2014 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

Similarly, the Philadelphia, PA subway system (called Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority or SEPTA) used to be 24/7/365 but sometime in the 1990s stopped this practice. (Yet the PATCO trains between Philadelphia and Camden, NJ and then going up to Trenton, NJ operate 24/7/365).
And yet NJ Transit's trains in South Jersey aren't 24/7/365. To get from Camden to Trenton after like, 10PM, you need to do it all on PATCO and SEPTA trains. Everything from Trenton to NYC is 24/7/365 though.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
And yet NJ Transit's trains in South Jersey aren't 24/7/365. To get from Camden to Trenton after like, 10PM, you need to do it all on PATCO and SEPTA trains. Everything from Trenton to NYC is 24/7/365 though.

Noteworthy details to remember for us travelers and explorers. Thanks for sharing this info here.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
The Northeast Corridor operates most of the day, but not quite 24/7. The last train of the night leaves Trenton at 12:57AM, while the first train of the morning leaves at 3:46AM, almost 3 hours later. (Trains leaving NY Penn don't operate between 1:22AM and 4:17AM, which is also almost a 3 hour gap).

SEPTA trains don't run to Trenton between roughly midnight and 5AM. (I think the MFL, Broad Street subway, and a few bus lines run overnight in Philly. I think the subway lines might see substitute bus service, but I'm not sure)

Keep in mind that Metro-North operates similarly (There's no trains pulling into or out of Grand Central between roughly 2AM and 5AM, while they clean the station).

As for the buses here in NYC, not all routes operate at all times. Overnight, a typical neighborhood is only served by 1 or 2 lines, whereas during the day, it might be 3 or 4. But in general, all neighborhoods have some type of coverage (the exception would be a few areas further out in the outer boroughs)

Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Every subway route is open 24/7. However, some services don't. Most subway lines operate on a shared route and then split off in different directions. Or there may be an express and local service running on the same route. In the middle of the night, most of the expresses don't run. And some lines become shuttles. For example the M and R trains get truncated to a short shuttle, after they reach a shared segment, you are forced to transfer.

However, in the middle of the night you can catch a train from any Station to any other station, it's just the service patterns become less convenient, but this is why people say that a service doesn't run in the middle of the night.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
WTC Path is currently 24/5 because of signal upgrade work. WTC line is shuts down for weekends except for few holidays and long weekends that's listed on their website.

Until signal upgrade work is done in 2015?, WTC is 24/5.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In the middle of the night, most of the expresses don't run. And some lines become shuttles.
And worse, no express on weekends.

Which is brilliant for Sat/Sun Mets games when there's only one line that goes through that part of Queens. Who the hell wants to take a local train through 20 stops to get back to the city? <7> please. (7) isn't good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For example the M and R trains get truncated to a short shuttle, after they reach a shared segment, you are forced to transfer.
Yep. R only exists in Bay Ridge (and to a lesser extent Sunset Park) late nights. Gotta jump over to the D/N or take a bus to get anywhere else.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Taking into account whatever everyone prior to this posting has said thus far:

Yet even with the reduced service on some lines during some times of night or on a weekend, it appears, by-and-large, that the entire is MTA Subways/Metro North systems and the LIRR operate throughout the night (even if there are some stretches during that night) . . . and then a goodly number of buses seem to complement the trains (and, of course, the Staten Island Ferry and the Staten Island Railway are both 24/7/365 as well). So, for all intents and purposes, one can be without a car and still go to any other part of the vast stretch of land area which entails the 5 boroughs of NYC and get back home at any hour of day and even of night to wherever you started from elsewhere within that same land area. And, as for Long Island and the northern suburbs of NY State and southeastern Connecticut, even if their local buses in those areas aren't or aren't all 24/7/365, you can at least get a train back to those areas (and then, if you can't walk home from there or the buses there aren't running in the middle of the night, you have your car parked there at the station to drive home from there or else have someone pick you up or else take a cab or else, if you have a folding bike with you or locked it at the station or nearby, you can ride your bike home).

In summary: The crux of what I'm trying to convey is that I LOVE the greater downstate New York metro area because, by-and-large, one can even get by even without owning or renting/leasing a car and go to-and-from anywhere to anywhere (or nearly so) 24/7/365 without worrying about what time of day or night it is. And this covers such a vast territory that is interconnected by mostly or nearly 24/7/365 public transit. I mean, I could live in Forest Hills, Queens (for instance) and visit some friend or partake of some activity or event in Inwood, Manhattan or Riverdale or Woodlawn or Throgs Neck, Bronx or Bay Ridge or Canarsie, Brooklyn or Port Washington (Nassau County, Long Island) or White Plains or Ridgewood or Far Rockaway or Howard Beach, Queens or Jersey City or Hoboken or Newark, NJ or Little Neck or Douglaston, Queens or nearly anywhere else and leave back for home at any hour of day or night to get back home and will get back home without having to wait until morningtime for the transit line to begin running again. Or, in reverse, I can arrive at any of those destinations in the middle-of-the-night and then depart at any hour of day or night (or nearly so) and get to the transit line to take me back home. It is fantastic!!! It appears that no other U.S. metro area can offer this. It is a major if not the major selling point of living in the greater downstate New York metro area for me.

As to Long Island (for instance): I know or have known people that live in Long Island in various places where, once you arrive at their local LIRR railroad station, they live within a reasonable walking distance to that railroad station (e.g., in Long Beach or Bay Shore or Babylon or Huntington Station or Hempstead or Garden City or Port Washington or Westbury or Rockville Centre or Amityville or East Northport or the Hamptons and so on) and I could take the LIRR to visit them from Manhattan or Queens or Brooklyn and depart from their home in Long Island at, say, 3:45 am in the morning and simply walk to the LIRR and catch the LIRR in the middle of the night to go back home (whether home is in Manhattan or New Jersey's Gold Coast PATH communities or Queens or Brooklyn or wherever). Like, wow! Isn't this great what we have going for us!!?!!??!!!! It's like when you live in the greater downstate NY metro area, the world is your oyster (the entirety of this massive land area is all or nearly all there for your partaking at any hour of day or night, even without having a car at your avail). I mean, as Yaakov Smirnoff would say: "What a country!!!"

Last edited by UsAll; 04-24-2014 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City