Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,818,488 times

Advertisements

It's a supply/demand problem. Big cities (esp NYC) have a glut of single, available women. If you want to find a place with a glut of available, single men, head to North Dakota or Alaska. Complaining isn't going to change the supply/demand equation. Either move, or try stand above the competition by making yourself more attractive, which isn't getting easier as you are no spring chicken. Also be aware that men here have no incentive to treat you well as there is a glut of single, available, or needy women. My advice if not becoming a cat lady is a major issue for you is to move before it is too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 AM

571 posts, read 792,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieNYC212 View Post
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
Maybe loosen up a bit? You listed 10 qualifications for suitability. What makes you such a princess? No offense. How about finding a guy you enjoy being around and who you are attracted to? Can't be that hard.

Last edited by punkfan39126; 05-08-2014 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,085,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
It's a supply/demand problem. Big cities (esp NYC) have a glut of single, available women. If you want to find a place with a glut of available, single men, head to North Dakota or Alaska. Complaining isn't going to change the supply/demand equation. Either move, or try stand above the competition by making yourself more attractive, which isn't getting easier as you are no spring chicken. Also be aware that men here have no incentive to treat you well as there is a glut of single, available, or needy women. My advice if not becoming a cat lady is a major issue for you is to move before it is too late.
This is true and false. The first part is true and I agree for the op to move to area with available men. The best choice should be San Francisco. However in Nyc women out number men however their are more single young adult males compared to single young adult females. Plenty of females in Nyc become available after thier late 30s and early 40s. The op should not be having a problem finding a guy. If a 300 pound BBW have dudes lining up to hit it is why can't the op?

The New, Interactive Singles Map.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM

25,405 posts, read 37,161,117 times
Too many choices.

If there were just two people on the planet, they would hook up.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,609,360 times
Quote:
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
You want the slightly mean sprited, harsh reality answer?

10 years ago you probably dumped him, blew him off, or never gave him a chance in the first place. It's probably not even one specific guy - likely there were several if you think long and hard about it.

Yes, your age is undoubtedly a factor at this point. There's a nebulous cutoff point somewhere around their early 30's where women start to lose value or points or whatever you want to call it, and are no longer able to compete with the first round draft picks. That's just the way it is. I'm recently 33 and have found my interest in women my own age taking a serious nose dive lately, and I used to be a big fan of dating women my own age...thought it was proper and all, but back in my mid-late 20's, why wouldn't I have been?

Your best bet is go for guys in their 40's and 50's who've grown out of chasing 20 somethings and have begun to value maturity more heavily. All the best guys around your age are chasing 26 year olds.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:30 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,654 times
Quote:
I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.... Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
Not sure why you picked Texas, but as a straight, presumably white, 36yo female, your chances of success (supply/demand) would be a great deal better in any larger US metro area outside of the North East. A single, 36yo, not overweight, woman with no children, but who wants to have a family is in demand in almost all cites except the one you live in.

Of course I know nothing about you, but it is curious you put no physical requirements on Mr. Right. The reality, if you are like the vast majority of women, is that you think 80+% of the men that meet that description are not up to your physical standards.

eta: please don't take this as an attack, I have the same issues you do.

Last edited by Robert5; 05-08-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is true and false. The first part is true and I agree for the op to move to area with available men. The best choice should be San Francisco. However in Nyc women out number men however their are more single young adult males compared to single young adult females. Plenty of females in Nyc become available after thier late 30s and early 40s. The op should not be having a problem finding a guy. If a 300 pound BBW have dudes lining up to hit it is why can't the op?

The New, Interactive Singles Map.
As a straight guy that lived in the south SF bay area for 7 long years, I can attest to the dearth of women in the south bay area. But SF itself was actually a good place to meet women, as is well known, a large percentage of the male surplus in the city of SF is gay. It is the south SF bay area that is a mecca for single women, especially those that can tolerate tech types.

As to NYC data: But if you breakdown the male/female numbers by race and borough the numbers tell a different story. I think it probable that the OP was a white female living in Manhattan. Of course I don't know that for sure.

Last edited by Robert5; 05-08-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Santana View Post
Honey you probably wrote all the decent guys off because you were too busy chasing after alphas. Now that you are on the wrong side of 30 and your biological clock is ticking you are now desperate. My advice is to go for one of those FOB Indian guys. They would marry any white woman and are easy to control.
LOL you wrong

Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Santana View Post
please explain why
for being truthful

Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,559,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Create a profile in Seeking Arrangement. There you'll find Mr. Right and make some money at the same time.
lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City