Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
if you're hot with a hot body men don't care about the number.
#fax

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 PM

515 posts, read 624,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
If you're hot with a hot body men don't care about the number.
If she was hot with a hot body she would not be asking for help.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 PM

515 posts, read 624,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
can't believe people are saying 36 or 37 is old. Smh. I get checked out more now than I did in my 20s.
That is because you are now low hanging fruit (literally). Men are lazy and more often go after what they think they can get versus what they really want.

If we only went after what we really wanted there would be far less one-night stands.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 AM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieNYC212 View Post
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
Not that I'm making light of your predicament but this thread is funny. I'm in NYC often, and from my observations I disagree with your view that you're not asking for too much. My single buddies who live in the city would also disagree with you. They are proof that there are men in the city who probably exceed your criteria and who are looking for a woman. Of course, it helps if you're intelligent, professional, don't have kids, traveled, cultured, young(ish), have a hot body, extremely goodlooking... Unfortunately, I've had to listen to them and their list of 'musts', too. And they are also puzzled about why they are still single. You see, the more items you've got on that list the more unlikely it becomes that you will meet anyone who meets all those expectations.

I don't buy the argument that there are too many people and too much competition in NYC. I'm more inclined to believe that the large number of people living there increases the likelihood of meeting somebody. The reason you haven't met anyone may have more to do with your list of exclusions than you realize. Its fine to have standards, but sometimes we have better experiences when we lighten up a little. If you talk to the men you meet as though you're comparing them to your checklist you'll scare them off. Put the list away. Open your mind to meeting different kinds of men, then go out on dates, not because you're desperate to find a husband and future father of your kids, but just to have fun. Let things develop on their own from there.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
Oh nooooo, look at his teeth.

As a New Yorker I look at three things why meeting someone can be difficult. The three things are time, trust and their is always something better around the corner, well maybe. You can figure this things out on your own or have probably been through it in one way shape or forum.

I'm sure you like reading the Gothamist. Here take a quick glance at this!

Ask A Native New Yorker: Why Is The NYC Dating Scene So Rough?: Gothamist#.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 PM

57 posts, read 65,096 times
Quote:

Whatever you do, don't settle. It's best to do what is necessary to find Mr. Right (who has all or most of your desired traits and beliefs) or be happy alone while searching for him, instead of settling for anyone.

Also, don't rule out relocating to Texas if you are able to secure good employment. Austin and Dallas are known for having single, marriage minded/family oriented guys.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
Whatever you do, don't settle. It's best to do what is necessary to find Mr. Right (who has all or most of your desired traits and beliefs) or be happy alone while searching for him, instead of settling for anyone.

Also, don't rule out relocating to Texas if you are able to secure good employment. Austin and Dallas are known for having single, marriage minded/family oriented guys.
I agree, settling accomplishes nothing but depression.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Guys in NYC can date 20 somethings up until about age 40. I don't know why, but younger women there are into older men. Probably because younger guys in NYC are usually broke and/or morons. My bud who is 37 just got married to a 27 year old, after dating for 4 years. This seemed normal in my circle of friends and looking around seemed normal in general. If you are 36 and trying to find someone your own age in NYC you are SoL. There are a lot of frazzled mid 30 something women living out the final season of Sex and the City. I don't know about Texas, but suggest Boulder, Colorado. There are loads of single 30 something guys there and the younger women are tied up in the college scene and aren't really interested in dating computer programmer triathlete type dudes.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Guys in NYC can date 20 somethings up until about age 40. I don't know why, but younger women there are into older men. Probably because younger guys in NYC are usually broke and/or morons. My bud who is 37 just got married to a 27 year old, after dating for 4 years. This seemed normal in my circle of friends and looking around seemed normal in general. If you are 36 and trying to find someone your own age in NYC you are SoL. There are a lot of frazzled mid 30 something women living out the final season of Sex and the City. I don't know about Texas, but suggest Boulder, Colorado. There are loads of single 30 something guys there and the younger women are tied up in the college scene and aren't really interested in dating computer programmer triathlete type dudes.
Not sure why 27-year-old women would, in general, want to marry men who are 10 years older than them. Yes, I know the 37-year old guy has made the money. But in my circle of friends and relatives, I can't thing of a single age gap that is more than three years. And my assumption is that is the norm, not 10 years. I met my wife when we were both 29, and she would never have considered marrying a guy 10 years older than her.

And ladies, most men don't age so well. If you are youthful looking and stay youthful looking, in 15 or 20 years strangers will think you're walking with your dad.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 PM

57 posts, read 65,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Not sure why 27-year-old women would, in general, want to marry men who are 10 years older than them. Yes, I know the 37-year old guy has made the money. But in my circle of friends and relatives, I can't thing of a single age gap that is more than three years. And my assumption is that is the norm, not 10 years. I met my wife when we were both 29, and she would never have considered marrying a guy 10 years older than her.

And ladies, most men don't age so well. If you are youthful looking and stay youthful looking, in 15 or 20 years strangers will think you're walking with your dad.
I am in my 30s but look around 24 or so. I find it funny that most of the guys who are my age look so much older. Sometimes I have to remind myself that these guys are in their 30s and not old men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City