Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

for a workplace sexual harrassment case that took place in The Bronx, which courts hear these following:

Federal Court (employer is challenging the validity of a settlement I forgot what it's called) would it take place in The Bronx Supreme Court or would that be in a Federal Court in Manhattan?

for the regular sexual harrassment claim does it get heard in Bronx Civil Court or does it get heard in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:10 AM

the federal Court filing is for a "declaratory judgment" where the employer is contesting a claim from the accuser's lawyer that the offer is not legal

reason why i ask is that our former boss (who stepped down last year) is most likely going to court for alleged sexual harrassment of an employee and making derogatory and discriminatory comments about various women of different races

so i am curious about which level of court this will take place

Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM

725 posts, read 805,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
the federal Court filing is for a "declaratory judgment" where the employer is contesting a claim from the accuser's lawyer that the offer is not legal

reason why i ask is that our former boss (who stepped down last year) is most likely going to court for alleged sexual harrassment of an employee and making derogatory and discriminatory comments about various women of different races

That's exactly why small businesses are failing all over the country. Big corporations are the only ones who can afford the lawsuits. That's why the advise I give to business owners is to hire the least amount of employees necessary and automate and outsource as much as they can. While it may be nice to have employees, once you factor in the costs aside from wage like ridiculous lawsuits and regulations, it's better to not have any.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 PM

if the boss has to pay, where does the money come from? his own personal funds or the company's?

as far as the local area goes, what court would this get heard in (see original post)?

we're in The Bronx, would it get heard in the Bronx County/Supreme Court or would it be heard in a similar court downtown?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
If you're going to file a sexual harassment lawsuit, it has to go through the EEOC and you NEED an attorney --- you can do it yourself but it's very difficult. You have to file a complaint through the EEOC first and if they find there was harassment or discrimination, you proceed in federal court.

Quote:
employer is challenging the validity of a settlement
Quote:

It takes place in federal court.

The company has to pay because they allowed the harassment to happen. The court would have to specifically say the individual has to pay a portion of the money if that is to happen (VERY unlikely).

Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
That's exactly why small businesses are failing all over the country. Big corporations are the only ones who can afford the lawsuits. That's why the advise I give to business owners is to hire the least amount of employees necessary and automate and outsource as much as they can. While it may be nice to have employees, once you factor in the costs aside from wage like ridiculous lawsuits and regulations, it's better to not have any.

So you think it's OK for some pervy creep to sexually harass an employee or to make racial / racist comments about employees? And you think employees should just let this happen and do nothing about it??? And that the federal government shouldn't have regulations in place to protect employees.

You must be one of the pervs who goes around trying to cop a free feel or makes sexual comments or unwanted sexual advances to people and you think it's OK because "she was wearing a tight blouse" or "her skirt was short" or "she had on a low cut shirt". Freaking pervert.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:44 PM

our boss is 66 and i believe the victim is probably no more than 30 or so. this is supposed to go into Federal Court for the "declaratory judgment" where the boss will fight to show the settlement(extra tuition, release company from further liability) made with the victim was legal(victim's lawyer said the settlement was not legal).

my immediate supervisor told me this is not the first time. he was sued for an other case of SH a few years ago

this man ive worked for for 23 years apparently has a real problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City