Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 PM

66 posts, read 114,364 times

Advertisements

It's spring and summer is around the corner. As weather improves, people will want to spend more time out than in other seasons. Some residents of my apartment complex gather in the front steps of buildings for hours, including overnight hours.

It's certainly a sense of community if you have the good people hanging out enjoying themselves, but most of them aren't so good intentioned. They leave their food wrappers, cigarette butts/packs, beer cans, and bottles all over.

* Is it considered loitering despite that they're residents?
* What can be done to stop it?
* Does the city anti-loitering ordinance can be enforced in this case?

Last edited by pipo11; 05-26-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
More and more people come pouring into this bursting at the seams, over-priced rat trap every month. They keep coming and coming, from every socioeconomic background. That is how it is, my friend. People claim that the diversity of this wonderful city is one of the things that they love. But get annoyed that everybody is not proper and respectful. That is not going to happen squeezing...what is it now...9 million neurotic maniacs into such small areas.

It's only going to get worse as time goes on, until the city decides it can't hold this many bodies anymore and implodes on itself.

Last edited by availableusername; 05-26-2014 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Persons have been sitting on stoops (steps) and or in front of their buildings in urban areas for years. Boston, New York City, Chicago, etc... anywhere you have high density housing in city surroundings.

Watch any movie made in or supposedly showing "old" NYC and you'll see persons white, black, yellow, Italian, Irish, African-American etc.. again all sitting on steps or whatever.

Some buildings did then and do now have "no loitering" signs posted in front or inside the lobby door, but that often applied to tradesmen, strangers, and or persons who otherwise did not live in the building or have a right to be on the premises.

Equally historic persons like yourself have had a beef with people sitting on the front steps. Cue the old lady with curlers in her hair and wearing a housedress yelling out of her window " get off those steps.... don't you have any place to go...?" or some such.....

Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,371 times
Residents sitting in commons areas?

Yeah, it isn't loitering unless it's on public grounds.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Residents sitting in commons areas?

Yeah, it isn't loitering unless it's on public grounds.
What about people sitting all day in the front lobby of an apt. building that is not set up as a sitting area? Also is it considered loitering if the building's own residents sit outside in front of the building in which they live?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
you can tell them to clean up after themselves.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM

503 posts, read 898,988 times
This is something that will never end. There are some clean blocks in many neighborhoods and apartment buildings where the residents have some class and respect their building. Those blocks and buildings are very few unfortunately. I hate these people with a passion personally, but you have to deal with it or get out. I just see no other way of handling it. I have never had any friends or family members who did this, who would sit in front of the building on the steps. Then again none of my family or friends are thugs, low-lifes or dirty people. And yes, I look lowly upon the people who do this. I wish I can wipe them off the steps, but you can't son.

Good Luck

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 AM

52 posts, read 105,198 times
This article will answer your question.

Famous panhandler who won $100K in NYPD settlement died penniless and alone | New York Post

"In 2012, the city settled the suit Wise had started on behalf of panhandlers arrested long after the state’s loitering laws were ruled unconstitutional.

On the stoop topic. A great deal of people sitting on a stoop are selling cracks, dimes of sour or bundles of heroin. If not that then they are steering or working for someone.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
There was a big post on this last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...hlight=hanging

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I live in an apartment and the only time it bothers me is when i need to take my dogs out. The people wont move over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City