Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:10 AM

276 posts, read 231,256 times

Advertisements

i believe this is common for the area. minimum down payments, min price per sq feet, minimum income requirements. a good real estate agent should have told you all this from the beginning. i bought a coop in forest hills and i knew the board requirements before i made the offer. when i sold, the buyer proved income/employment and credit before i even accepted the offer. way before they got anywhere near the board.
there is a coop development around the corner from where i live now that refuses to let people sell at market value (according to the board however its below market value people get creative and work around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Same thing happen to me many years ago. I bought a place that was in dumps as the owner pretty much abandoned it and just want to get rid of it. I paid a price that was 20% lower than the same units in the building as I was going to upgrade it myself.

Everything check out with no issue and i was more than qualified as i was only spending half my saving for the 20% down payment, I did the interview and they rejected me. I was so mad i want to get lawyer up and sue them. Luckily, i got vindicated as the apartment end up selling even lower than i sign for when recession hit a year later.

Unless they really stupid, they will never give you a reason just like one of the poster said. I think coop boards are the worst part of NY. I will never buy in one ever again.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
There are no public records for coop sales. From a legal standpoint, it isn't considered a property transaction. There's no transfer of a deed. It's a stock sale, and the transfer of a lease.

The real estate agencies keep their own records. That how they get comps on coops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Hello -

Could you tell me how to access the public record for coop sales in NYC? Thanks.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are no public records for coop sales. From a legal standpoint, it isn't considered a property transaction. There's no transfer of a deed. It's a stock sale, and the transfer of a lease.

The real estate agencies keep their own records. That how they get comps on coops.
This isn't true. Coop sales are recorded in ACRIS and anyone can look them up. This has been true for the past 8-10 years. I think before 2004 they weren't recorded.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I just looked. You are correct. I never heard about this till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This isn't true. Coop sales are recorded in ACRIS and anyone can look them up. This has been true for the past 8-10 years. I think before 2004 they weren't recorded.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Automated City Register Information System Address

Fill out the address field,press find BBL.On the following page press "document search".On the next page ,press "search".

Everything is there…..for every building in NYC.
Question - there is a recent sale in my building I really want to look up. I saw the listing a few months ago and was surprised at the very high price they were asking for a one bedroom (about $50 to $75K higher than most other recent one bedroom sales). I figured it would languish on the market or else come way down in price.

Well, lo and behold, the other day I met a new person in the laundry room and she mentioned she had just moved into said apartment. I went back to the online listing and it shows "in contract" and I checked ACRIS and there is only an initial coop UCC1 for $0 around May 15. There is no sign that it closed and what the closing amount was. Do these things just take time or are there times the closing price never makes it into ACRIS?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Question - there is a recent sale in my building I really want to look up. I saw the listing a few months ago and was surprised at the very high price they were asking for a one bedroom (about $50 to $75K higher than most other recent one bedroom sales). I figured it would languish on the market or else come way down in price.

Well, lo and behold, the other day I met a new person in the laundry room and she mentioned she had just moved into said apartment. I went back to the online listing and it shows "in contract" and I checked ACRIS and there is only an initial coop UCC1 for $0 around May 15. There is no sign that it closed and what the closing amount was. Do these things just take time or are there times the closing price never makes it into ACRIS?
You usually see the mortgage price in ACRIS - which gives you an idea of how much it sold for but doesn't reflect the downpayment.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:

There is often a lag of anywhere from a week to a few months between the recording of initial UCC's and the recording of the transfer tax info.

The number that eventually shows up on ACRIS as "both RPTT and RETT" will be the exact sale price of the unit.If it shows up designated as "NYC Real Property Transfer Tax" it is most likely the sale of a sponsor unit and the number that shows up will have the tax added to the sale price so it will be higher than what the buyer is actually paying by about 8.5%.It will also be a strange number like $264,756.

The final number could also be skewed or show up as zero if the transfer is within a family .

I have found that Redfin is better /faster at posting when apartments go into contract and at posting sale prices than zillow,street easy,property shark or trulia.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-09-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There is often a lag of anywhere from a week to a few months between the recording of initial UCC's and the recording of the transfer tax info.

The number that eventually shows up on ACRIS as "both RPTT and RETT" will be the exact sale price of the unit.If it shows up designated as "NYC Real Property Transfer Tax" it is most likely the sale of a sponsor unit and the number that shows up will have the tax added to the sale price so it will be higher than what the buyer is actually paying y about 8.5%.It will also be a stance number that $264,756.

The final number could also be skewed or show up as zero if the transfer is within a family .

I have found that Redfin is better /faster at posting when apartments go into contract and at posting sale prices than zillow,street easy,property shark or trulia.
Thank you. Very helpful.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Your apartment is only worth what the market is willing to pay. If it were worth more than is offered it would sell for higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: