Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 33,136 times

Advertisements

Okay, so long story short, I couldn't afford to pay for my apartment anymore. It's went up $200 in the past 6 months. So now I'm homeless and really don't want another pad. I have my truck fitted so that I can live in it. Hippies used to do it and they got by, so how can I not get by? Other than gentrification and a bunch of foreigners, NYC is pretty much the same as it was in the 70's. Or at least as much as I can remember. I was wondering if there were any places, preferably around the village, that I could park. Now I have an app on my phone that helps me find free parking and tells me about alternate parking, but it would be nice to know if there were any little hidden gems that you know about. As for money, I'm getting by with about $400-500 a week. Mostly used on gas. I stock pile on huge bags of rice and cheap gallons of water. Thanks in advance, and PLEASE do not treat me like a non New Yorker. I've been here my whole life and I hate seeing my people trash on others who want to live (or have to live) in their vehicle.

Also, I understand that there is a law preventing you from living in your truck. I can assure you that people ignore this law all the time and get away with it. I'm good with cops and the village is always mellow when it comes to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnisbeast1 View Post
Okay, so long story short, I couldn't afford to pay for my apartment anymore. It's went up $200 in the past 6 months. So now I'm homeless and really don't want another pad. I have my truck fitted so that I can live in it. Hippies used to do it and they got by, so how can I not get by? Other than gentrification and a bunch of foreigners, NYC is pretty much the same as it was in the 70's. Or at least as much as I can remember. I was wondering if there were any places, preferably around the village, that I could park. Now I have an app on my phone that helps me find free parking and tells me about alternate parking, but it would be nice to know if there were any little hidden gems that you know about. As for money, I'm getting by with about $400-500 a week. Mostly used on gas. I stock pile on huge bags of rice and cheap gallons of water. Thanks in advance, and PLEASE do not treat me like a non New Yorker. I've been here my whole life and I hate seeing my people trash on others who want to live (or have to live) in their vehicle.

Also, I understand that there is a law preventing you from living in your truck. I can assure you that people ignore this law all the time and get away with it. I'm good with cops and the village is always mellow when it comes to the police.
First am sorry to hear about your situation and hope things turn around for you soon.

Legal or otherwise can tell you have seen plenty of persons "living' in a vehicle all over Manhattan. Sometimes walking around late overnight or early in the AM you see persons sound asleep in their car or truck surrounded by their stuff. During the winter this became more apparent as you'd see vehicles with engines running most of or all the night (to keep the heater going), which is what often attracts interest.

As for "hidden gems", you are going to be hard pressed to find anyplace that legally condones such things in NYC. Back in the old days you probably could have parked along or under the FDR drive or Westside highway and or streets close to and no one would have bothered except perhaps those with criminal intent. However between the after affects of 9/11/01 and much of NYC especially Manhattan becoming a playground for the rich continuous occupation of one spot may attract attention.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnisbeast1 View Post

Question--how do you cook these stockpiles of huge bags of rice?

And you're "getting by" on $400-$500 a week? I'm assuming you have a job? Why is most of that money used for gas?

Where are you bathing? You don't have any bills that need to be mailed to you?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First am sorry to hear about your situation and hope things turn around for you soon.

Legal or otherwise can tell you have seen plenty of persons "living' in a vehicle all over Manhattan. Sometimes walking around late overnight or early in the AM you see persons sound asleep in their car or truck surrounded by their stuff. During the winter this became more apparent as you'd see vehicles with engines running most of or all the night (to keep the heater going), which is what often attracts interest.

As for "hidden gems", you are going to be hard pressed to find anyplace that legally condones such things in NYC. Back in the old days you probably could have parked along or under the FDR drive or Westside highway and or streets close to and no one would have bothered except perhaps those with criminal intent. However between the after affects of 9/11/01 and much of NYC especially Manhattan becoming a playground for the rich continuous occupation of one spot may attract attention.
Yeah I see them around a lot as well, which is what gave me the idea. I think I'd have to travel outside of Manhattan to find a decent spot. Or maybe by the docs. I might try for the WSH. I'm not sure how many cops will be on my ass though. Westside Highway used to be pretty much cop free in the 80s.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Question--how do you cook these stockpiles of huge bags of rice?

And you're "getting by" on $400-$500 a week? I'm assuming you have a job? Why is most of that money used for gas?

Where are you bathing? You don't have any bills that need to be mailed to you?
A little portable stove. And 400-500 at my job. I travel around a lot because I'm a musician and like reciting poetry as well. As for showering, I have a gym member ship and stop in everyday to workout and shower. And nope, no bills. As for getting things mailed to me, I usually just go to the post office.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Dude. This is the perfect opportunity for you to walk the Appalachian Trail. Why live out of a car during a coming hot as hell NYC summer when you could walk for months with other like minded hippies, tell stories, read, meet new people, etc? If I was ever down and out, that is what I'd do.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times
I knew someone who did this year's ago in order to save for deposit.

They went to a taxi stand in Queens next to some sort of trucking company.

Overnight they would park at the stand and sleep (they had a friend that worked overnight there) except the weekends when they were off. Rode their bike into Manhattan, stopped at the gym to workout and shower then dressed and went to work a few blocks away.

There was ample parking and no one bothered the car plus the taxi and truck drivers would watch out for her.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
I would be worried about having drugs on you if the cops searched your vehicle.

Better to keep those away from your car.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Dude. This is the perfect opportunity for you to walk the Appalachian Trail. Why live out of a car during a coming hot as hell NYC summer when you could walk for months with other like minded hippies, tell stories, read, meet new people, etc? If I was ever down and out, that is what I'd do.
+1
This.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
Don't talk about things like this, tons of people do this, in all kinds of ways.

$500 dollars a week? Do you drive to work, or drive around looking for parking? That is silly, in my opinion. In my opinion you could find a more cheaper solution. Do you need to be on the island? Is your job forcing you to live this way? I have heard many people who needs to live in the same area as their job???

Their is no law against parking your vehicle, to sleep inside of it, or listen to radio. No laws that nature can control but seriously, don't tell us that.

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 240.35 : NY Code - Section 240.35: Loitering Loiters or remains in any transportation facility, or is found sleeping therein, and is unable to give a satisfactory explanation of his presence.

So if anybody bothers you, you need to find a reason to be their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City