Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 21,911 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the research stages of an upcoming book and am looking for information on the Golden Ox Restaurant formerly located at 7014 Veterans Ave in Brooklyn. However, with that location now defunct, I unfortunately do not have any firsthand insight on the former establishment, which is exactly what I am looking for.

I am hoping someone who may have lived or grown up in that neighborhood could provide me with any insight on the former establishment such as: type of restaurant it was, what type of food they served, what it was like inside, decor, the type of clientele they catered to (families, adult, nightlife, wiseguys, etc), did they move, close or go out of business OR anything you could possibly think of that could give me a solid grasp on what the place was like. Any tidbits of information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:10 AM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJwriter2014 View Post
I am currently in the research stages of an upcoming book and am looking for information on the Golden Ox Restaurant formerly located at 7014 Veterans Ave in Brooklyn. However, with that location now defunct, I unfortunately do not have any firsthand insight on the former establishment, which is exactly what I am looking for.

I am hoping someone who may have lived or grown up in that neighborhood could provide me with any insight on the former establishment such as: type of restaurant it was, what type of food they served, what it was like inside, decor, the type of clientele they catered to (families, adult, nightlife, wiseguys, etc), did they move, close or go out of business OR anything you could possibly think of that could give me a solid grasp on what the place was like. Any tidbits of information would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/ny...cops.html?_r=0

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thanks for the link, but I'm well aware of this story. I'm looking for more detail on the restaurant itself.

Also, why the T.O.S?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM

335 posts, read 503,688 times
I think it was a Chinese restaurant.

Try the local newspaper. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Brooklyn Daily: Mill–Marine Courier & Canarsie Digest

Last edited by Gumshoe Lady; 06-12-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
I think it was a Chinese restaurant.

Try the local newspaper. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Brooklyn Daily: Mill–Marine Courier & Canarsie Digest
Thank you, Gumshoe. I will absolutely try that avenue.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJwriter2014 View Post
Also, why the T.O.S?
That is part of their signature and shows up below each of their posts. It wasn't specifically posted for you.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
I have a friend who lived in Bergen Beach years ago. The Golden Ox was open when he lived there. I never ate in the place and neither did he. His brother worked there as a bus boy for a few months. He was fired because the owner, who he said was Greek, wanted to give his job to a recent Greek immigrant.

Anyway....the place never seemed too busy during the week. It would do a decent business on the weekend.

It seemed to be a restaurant that you didn't hear much about in the neighborhood. It appeared to not be frequented by the locals.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
So the Golden Ox was a chinese establishment, but the mob guys used it as a hangout eh?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I have a friend who lived in Bergen Beach years ago. The Golden Ox was open when he lived there. I never ate in the place and neither did he. His brother worked there as a bus boy for a few months. He was fired because the owner, who he said was Greek, wanted to give his job to a recent Greek immigrant.

Anyway....the place never seemed too busy during the week. It would do a decent business on the weekend.

It seemed to be a restaurant that you didn't hear much about in the neighborhood. It appeared to not be frequented by the locals.
I appreciate the insight. Quite a picture I'm drawing thus far; a Chinese restaurant under Greek ownership... interesting place.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,156 times
Restaurant was previously known as Marko's whose owner murdered his wife in the basement . New ownership including the Caravelle Diner owners bought the place. It occupied one store when it doubled in size by taking over a Jiffy Jug market. Orginal décor was traditional seafood captains chairs, table cloth and small. When they expanded the place was very modern for the time a waterfall, marble bars and floors and private catering rooms. Place was rated 4 star high end with exceptional food and decent pricing. It was frequented by a tony crowd of doctors, lawyers, sports figures local businessman and wise guys. Known for 2 hour waits on a Saturday night. The first 2 Brooklyn Dodger Hall of Fame dinners were held there. The on premise owner was affable and kissed more women the Richard Dawson. I was fortunate to have grown up in that place and the people treated you like family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City