Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:37 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Interesting photo essay. Had no idea things were that bad down there. I mean with all the money and so forth below 14th Street you'd think retail would be booming. Guess persons who pay 20 million for a brownstone aren't bothered.

The Approximately 100 Ugliest Abandoned Buildings in Greenwich Village - Travelerette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Well with the real estate/rent prices in the area, I can see why they're empty and will remain empty. Seems as if the only corporations that can afford to occupy these area's are chain pharmacy's (CVS, Walgreens, etc) and Banks which the neighborhood is already saturated with!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:16 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
The title of her photo essay is a misnomer. The buildings are not abandoned. I'm sure people are still living in apartments on the upper floors. Real estate is too valuable in the Village these days to have owners walking away. Rather, the storefronts are vacant, and they're vacant because the owners are holding out for top rents instead of cutting someone a deal. I guess it's still depressing, but not as bad as having real abandoned buildings around, being targeted for arson, breeding rats, etc.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:32 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The title of her photo essay is a misnomer. The buildings are not abandoned. I'm sure people are still living in apartments on the upper floors. Real estate is too valuable in the Village these days to have owners walking away. Rather, the storefronts are vacant, and they're vacant because the owners are holding out for top rents instead of cutting someone a deal. I guess it's still depressing, but not as bad as having real abandoned buildings around, being targeted for arson, breeding rats, etc.
This sounds like a more realistic assessment of the situation.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
I have seen several prime locations like this hold out for top rent for months or years. Specifically, the shoe store that was next to whole foods in union square closed up and that store sat vacant for almost two years. That area is unbelievably heavily trafficked, and I am sure rent there is quite the premium. Also, there were new luxury condos built on the south side of Houston street at mulberry - the entire bottom floor is commercial, which has not been filled in two years. You can probably tell that story 1,000x over throughout the city.

It will be interesting, not just in the city but nationwide, what happens to all the physical bank locations. Retail banks just don't need phyiscal branches that they used to, and that will only become more pronounced as time goes by. There are A LOT of banks taking up expensive retail space that they will likely pull back when their leases are up.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I have seen several prime locations like this hold out for top rent for months or years. Specifically, the shoe store that was next to whole foods in union square closed up and that store sat vacant for almost two years. That area is unbelievably heavily trafficked, and I am sure rent there is quite the premium. Also, there were new luxury condos built on the south side of Houston street at mulberry - the entire bottom floor is commercial, which has not been filled in two years. You can probably tell that story 1,000x over throughout the city.

It will be interesting, not just in the city but nationwide, what happens to all the physical bank locations. Retail banks just don't need phyiscal branches that they used to, and that will only become more pronounced as time goes by. There are A LOT of banks taking up expensive retail space that they will likely pull back when their leases are up.
I cant think of too many if any independent types of businesses that would be successful enough to turn a profit all the while paying these sky high rents on top of all the overhead.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Vacant storefront <> abandoned building. What's going on with the residential upstairs? Are there other active storefronts in the building?

Also, the owner may be emptying it for redevelopment, and is waiting the get the last hold out residential tenants out.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Some of the buildings seem to be totally empty but yes did wonder about the residential portion of these places.

Most likely the tenants are RS or RC and perhaps the properties are being emptied out in that slow death NYC fashion. That is when a tenant vacates (dies, moves out etc...) the apartment isn't rented but left empty. This warehousing will continue until the building is truly empty which then will up the price.

Saving grace is many of these buildings lie within the various historical districts down there; that would make any development plans possibly difficult.

Being as all this may can remember back in the 1980's Greenwich/West Village was a shopping/commercial mecca. Would go from 8th Street starting at Sixth all the way to Third Avenue almost every Saturday. Sixth, Seventh and Broadway were also major commercial destinations.

Thing about The Village then was from roughly 8th Street to really up into Chelsea there were so many unique and fun little shops. Oh and don't get me started about Union Square/14th Street back in the day....

Landlords can afford to leave these properties vacant because the loss in rent come off their taxes. So in essence we other taxpayers are subsidizing their greed.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
They are not abandoned, just overpriced.
Analogy: nobody would call an emerald necklace in Cartier's window ABANDONED.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 AM

782 posts, read 859,720 times
This essay makes it seems as though there's a glut of available real estate that no one wants in the Village. It's misleading. Landlords simply don't want independent donut shops or small boutique stores...they want big names. Considering a typical commercial lease is 5-10 years, I understand why they'd hold out and want top dollar for sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: