Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Nothing to do with the fact that the schools in these neighborhoods are lousy and downright dangerous? I think it has less to do with the racial makeup of the schools than the fact that certain parents want their kids to receive a decent education in a safe environment and they have the means to do so.
Yes of course. We can't be acknowledging that there might just some racism against black people going on in America, now can we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Your point?

Where do you think these destitute inner city Blacks are going to get the money to start a business from? Certainly not each other because 0+0=0. If you're using corporations in discrimination in employment (and that is there big time particularly at the upper levels), then surely you are aware that similarly discrimination might be there at financial institutions.

So there will be no boom in small Black owned businesses, particularly when all small owned businesses are getting wiped out by national chains and national brands.
So there is no point to his post is what you are saying?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Your point?

Where do you think these destitute inner city Blacks are going to get the money to start a business from? Certainly not each other because 0+0=0. If you're using corporations in discrimination in employment (and that is there big time particularly at the upper levels), then surely you are aware that similarly discrimination might be there at financial institutions.

So there will be no boom in small Black owned businesses, particularly when all small owned businesses are getting wiped out by national chains and national brands.
Honestly I feel that I should be able to shop wherever I want to and I have no problem supporting a black owned business and see nothing wrong with encouragement.

I just wanted to put that point out there, that blacks are still at a disadvantage even if they have a degree.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Honestly I feel that I should be able to shop wherever I want to and I have no problem supporting a black owned business and see nothing wrong with encouragement.

I just wanted to put that point out there, that blacks are still at a disadvantage even if they have a degree.
Indeed. But there still won't be a boom in Black owned businesses, and the Black middle class in major cities typically works in the government jobs that I mentioned (and you do have a fair number of Blacks in the medical profession, particularly nurses. Black doctors and dentists are rarer but they are there.)

I would love to see some of you guys risk your life savings on a small business (80% of small businesses fail within 5 years). At a time when the public does not support most types of small business.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
So there is no point to his post is what you are saying?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Everyone here if they are honest with themselves knows there won't be a boom in small Black owned business, and that people in immigrant small owned businesses often get paid under the minimum wage and under the table at that. Who in their right mind would want to work under bad conditions in a Korean shop? Many Korean shopkeepers send their kids to college and hope that their kids can get out of that!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Indeed. But there still won't be a boom in Black owned businesses, and the Black middle class in major cities typically works in the government jobs that I mentioned (and you do have a fair number of Blacks in the medical profession, particularly nurses. Black doctors and dentists are rarer but they are there.)

I would love to see some of you guys risk your life savings on a small business (80% of small businesses fail within 5 years). At a time when the public does not support most types of small business.
Well to be honest I have a bigger picture than just making a small business. But black business typically don't boom because their own people will not support it.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well to be honest I have a bigger picture than just making a small business. But black business typically don't boom because their own people will not support it.
Nor should they. No sane person is going to support a business just because it's Black. You support a business because they are good and have the products and services available to you for a price you find acceptable.

Also, if your business is that good, a black business owner doesn't need to rely on just Blacks. Look at how many fans of all races Oprah made over the years (she is CEO of Harpo Entertainment and CEO of the OWN network).

Outside of certain hair care products the Black market is too small to focus entirely on it, in a larger corporate sense.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is employment. So what if you see ex felon blacks working at terrible jobs. Does that change the fact that ex-con blacks have the worst employment numbers?

Also I don't judge people, while I do not like criminals and think a lot lf them are highly stupid and ignorant, I do at the same time do believe in second chances after they have served their debt to society. With that being said I have no issues with people hiring a felon just as long as the felon is serious about changing his life around.
I'm sure all of these men most likely come from the poorest areas of the city, come from single parent homes, some have probably even raised themselves for the most part, had poor grades in school, and were on a fast track to jail and prison.

You'll find the same patterns in almost every major city in this country.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Nor should they. No sane person is going to support a business just because it's Black. You support a business because they are good and have the products and services available to you for a price you find acceptable.

Also, if your business is that good, a black business owner doesn't need to rely on just Blacks. Look at how many fans of all races Oprah made over the years (she is CEO of Harpo Entertainment and CEO of the OWN network).

Outside of certain hair care products the Black market is too small to focus entirely on it, in a larger corporate sense.
It's hard to disagree or agree because you keep mixing different aspects of society in your post.

I agree with your Oprah comment and point but disagree with your first paragraph because the truth is most ethnic groups exchange with their own first so there is nothing wrong with a black man going to a black business.

As I said I live in a Jewish area and guess what you will rarely ever see a jew do groceries at PATHMARK.

Avenue M is known for it's Jewish grocery stores and this is where you will find most of them shopping if they happen to be in the midwood area.

Same applies to borough park.

My church is in crown heights. I've never seen a Jew in that area shop at a local deli store for goods.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:

I've seen some black businesses that have done well and some that have been huge failures.

Other factors also play apart such as demand and location of the small business and prices.

You are right about fact that 80% of small business failing. I see boarded up and closed down abandoned businesses all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City