Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 AM

50 posts, read 58,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
One thing I never like about the South and I have been warned by many is that the South is Right To Work, meaning their is no labor union and jobs in the South offer little protection and can be fired at whim. Hopefully with Northerners moving down South maybe employtment attitudes and tactics can change in time. But yes Austin is becoming expensive but still way cheaper than NYC. I have read and article the other day about Austin becoming more and more white and how Austin black population has declined in recent .
Yeah, that "right to work" law is terrible for all those people with good paying jobs in the South working for BMW, Honda and all those other companies that have set up shop there.

No, you're right better get the unions in and predatory attorneys so you can turn these major economic hubs into that shining Utopia know as Detroit where big unions and big government has made the quality of life so much better for the worker. A real workers paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
White flight in the 50's was when whites moved to the burbs to get away from the African Americans

In 2014 its to the rapidly gentrifying certain urban areas (usually artsy areas, near museums, nightlife, universities or downtown). It is so effective because whites circulate money infinitely within their community, while blacks give our money back to the white man faster than we can make it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It is so effective because whites circulate money infinitely within their community, while blacks give our money back to the white man faster than we can make it.
Ooh, you've got us. Whenever we spend any money, first thing we do is check if any black people will get any of it. If so... we spend somewhere else.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:

Why did you come back to NYC? Did you fail at your new location, or an Ivy League degree is more useful in NYC than compared to non Ivy League West Coast? I understand taht some people move back to NYC due to sick relative or to secure property like rent controlled apartment or a property of a will of testament.

Come to think of it, the other day at work I met a av tech who works on set for Orange is the New Black. We chatted about education and stuff like that. The office eh works at his from LA, but he is originally from the Bronx and had to fly to NYC for work. Guess where he got his degree from? Bronx Community College. This guy showed me pictures of his home near Santa Monica. To be honest they are plenty of New Yorkers that live all over the country.

Lol do you mean hood.

Activationg Hilltopjoy.
I got a call from a particular project I'd long been interested in working with.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganNYC View Post
Many of the gentrifiers ascribe to liberal ideology. However their notion of acceptance is having a Jamaican nanny. They will refuse to go to ethnic areas unless they want to buy a home there. A hipster once told me that a neighborhood was being cleansed (Black people were moving out). Their brand of liberalism is actually very patronizing to minorities and implicit belief is that they would be unable to do anything without government help.
Why does this surprise you?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
One thing I never like about the South and I have been warned by many is that the South is Right To Work, meaning their is no labor union and jobs in the South offer little protection and can be fired at whim. Hopefully with Northerners moving down South maybe employtment attitudes and tactics can change in time. But yes Austin is becoming expensive but still way cheaper than NYC. I have read and article the other day about Austin becoming more and more white and how Austin black population has declined in recent years.

Amen. I need to tour Civil War battle grounds when I visit NC again.

Why did you come back to NYC? Did you fail at your new location, or an Ivy League degree is more useful in NYC than compared to non Ivy League West Coast? I understand taht some people move back to NYC due to sick relative or to secure property like rent controlled apartment or a property of a will of testament.

Come to think of it, the other day at work I met a av tech who works on set for Orange is the New Black. We chatted about education and stuff like that. The office eh works at his from LA, but he is originally from the Bronx and had to fly to NYC for work. Guess where he got his degree from? Bronx Community College. This guy showed me pictures of his home near Santa Monica. To be honest they are plenty of New Yorkers that live all over the country.

Lol do you mean hood.

Activationg Hilltopjoy.
Texas is a right to work state, but that hasn't bothered me at all because my line of work has never been unionized. Most large professional corporations will not fire you at a whim and adhere to the three strikes and you're out policy, just like NYC. As an employee, it's been basically the same only I have a better work life balance than before. Austin's black population has never been dominant, many blacks like bigger cities. Hispanics are the dominant group for the entire state, which makes sense given its history. Also, for some reason blacks don't seem to look to Texas to migrate, though I don't see why not. Unfortunately austin is not super cheap anymore, the better neighborhoods are easily asking for 2000 - 2800 in rent, housing is now more than a third of income. This is the dark side of being transplant central..

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
One thing I never like about the South and I have been warned by many is that the South is Right To Work, meaning their is no labor union and jobs in the South offer little protection and can be fired at whim. Hopefully with Northerners moving down South maybe employtment attitudes and tactics can change in time.
That isn't entirely the case. I've been in Virginia since 2005 and I can honestly say that those times I was fired the process was not any different than it was back in Ohio. Really depends on the company. Also, with city/state jobs it still takes a lot to get fired just like it does anywhere else. I had plenty of warning; one company was actually based in the South and the process took well over a year.

In most cases if you get fired around here, you probably wanted to or wasn't up to par. It could be different in other states but I've worked various jobs in different parts of the state and there was nothing quick about it. Honestly depends on what you have to offer and whether or not they really wanted to hire you in the first place.

But I've never dealt with the labor unions, even in the North/Midwest, so their experiences may have differed from mine. I never particularly cared for labor in the first place, haven't had to work it since high school, so I can't complain in those respects.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never said NYC was a hellhole to FLEE from. I said the BRONX was a HELLHOLE to flee from and I have not changed my opinion of it OR WAKEFIELD. But I AM HAPPY to be back in NYC.

As for data, data means absolutely nothing on a forum like this. For all I know you could have made up the numbers.

And your data contradicts your own statements. If there are all these well paid blacks in NYC, then how on earth are there all these blacks living in housing projects? If there are all these gainfully employed Blacks in NYC, where are the ones with legal issues/criminal records coming from? Are they falling out of the sky?

You have serious issues if you have to try to deny poverty exists among Blacks, or try to deny the majority of Blacks in the private sector are in comparatively low paid jobs. Or that the majority of the Black middle class is in government jobs, union jobs, or certain academic that get some degree of government funding (non profits, education as even the Ivy League gets some government money, and all hospitals have departments that take medicare or medicaid).

I guess there are no poor Black people, and next you'll be telling us Brownsville is a well to do middle class Black stronghold, along with East New York, Flatbush, Wakefield, and the Manhattanville projects!

When you find your own data then we can talk. In the interim you area waste of time. You spew angry emotion when you don't get what you want.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When you find your own data then we can talk. In the interim you area waste of time. You spew angry emotion when you don't get what you want.
What nonsense are you talking about. You presented no sources and your data was basically meaningless. According to you, most Blacks in NYC are on a corporate career track. And that's just plain not true. You ignored those not working, and ignored those working in the public sector, and ignored those working in low wage retail and warehousing jobs in order to see only what you wanted to see.

Next you'll be claiming that Blacks in NYC make more than Jews in NYC!

And that just plain not true either.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Interesting article.

Article: Rapid Gentrification Hitting Bed Stuy and Changing the Neighborhood's Racial Demographics | OpEdNews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City