Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Forgot to answer the question of the OP. When I was still doing social work, I had a young client who lived in the PJs in Alphabet city in a full one bedroom apt. He had a f/t job - minimum wage and his rent was $330. That was 2011. I had another client, a single mother, on SSI who lived in PJs in the Bronx. She paid approximately $205 month for her one bedroom apt in 2010. I had other clients in the PJs in different boroughs (2+ bedrooms) in 2014 but I never paid attention to the paperwork to find out what their rent was since they had no problems paying their rent on time so their housing stability was not an issue.

The reason I remember the two people I mentioned is because I had to deal with their management when the clients had problems paying their rent. During that same time, there was another client in our office, but not my client, who got evicted from the PJs for non-payment of rent. Their rent, around 2012, was $110 monthly and it takes a very long time to get evicted from the PJs because it has to go through the court system. The person had enough time to sing for coins on the train or bag groceries off the books to get caught up on their rent if they really wanted to. People who get evicted from the PJs due to non-payment of cheap rent are usually incapable of maintaining a residence (outside of living in a shelter) due to their ongoing drug habit or mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid14 View Post
SeventhFloor-- I don't think that's true. I've been living in the projects for about 10 years and my family definitely does NOT get a $480 deduction for each dependent. It'd be great if we were paying $50/month. Our rent is about $1000/month. What the hell are people doing/what are they making that they're only paying $40-$50 a month?

It depends on your income. Everybody in nycha pays 30% of his income, the gov pays the rest, 70%.
The lower your income, the lower your rent.
There are people with absolutely no income, so their rent would be Zero, Nada!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
The deductions are taken off of their annual gross income utilized to determine their monthly rent during (re)certification, not a deduction off of their monthly rent.

The formula used in determining the total tenant rent (TTP) is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

(1) 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);

(2) 10 percent of monthly income;

(3) welfare rent, if applicable; or

(4) a $25 minimum rent or higher amount (up to $50) set by an HA.

Most families I've worked with across the country are paying higher than the $25-$50 base, with the exception of elderly, disabled residents, or, the mentally ill. Rent also fluctuates based upon hours worked and changes in income or household structure, which residents are required to report or they are penalized with pretty excessive fees. Depending on the building, whether it is public housing or a federally subsidized, privately owned complex, a resident may or may not pay utilities, or, may pay a portion and have some subsidized, especially in older buildings with archaic HVAC systems.

Dependent Deduction - Calculating Income Eligibility - Homefront - Training - Affordable Housing - CPD - HUD
Thanks for this very knowledgable, useful reply!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know of people who pay as much as 2k that live in NYCHA. Folks like that have no problem affording market rate apartments or mortgages with maintenance fees.

Yes, but those have most probably a 4- or 5-bedroom apartment in nycha. At market rate they would pay much more.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why not if it's a 3 or 4 br apartment? $1,000 /mo seems to close to the citywide minimum for a studio so where is anyone going to get a 3 or 4 br ....or even a 2 br for anywhere near that?
Correct, I second this.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree. People peeing in the elevator. Thankfully, I've never witnessed it personally but I've had to get on the elevator after someone did it and all I can say is I know it was a male/man that did it due to the ultra strong **** stench...ewwww!!

On the other hand, once out of the **** elevators and into the apartment, they're actually nice. I've visited many persons (Black or Latino) in the projects and the overwhelming majority of the homes are decent, clean, well-furnished apartments. There aren't holes in the walls or floor ripped up. You wouldn't know you're in a project if you there wasn't a NYCHA sign on the building.

In the projects, the LR, bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom are normal size, not NYC size. They actually have bigger rooms than many "market-rent" apartments in Manhattan. That's why people who could but don't move out of them. It's because to find as many bedrooms (2-3 bdrms, I even know a lady with a 4 bedroom apartment and all of her children are grown and have moved out except one young adult son) as they currently have in the size they have, they'd have to pay market rent $3,500+ to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. The ones who live in projects in the Bronx can find cheaper rent cheaper than that for a 2-4 bedroom but it will still range $1,200.

In my experience, I guestimate about 85-90% of the residents who live in the project are decent people, a high percentage are employed, they mind their own business (only a small percentage do all the hanging out in front) and live like normal, civilized people do elsewhere. It's the 10-15% that cause all the trouble, sell drugs, into fighting, other violent and criminal behavior which keep NYPD busy.
True, it's the bad apples that ruin it for all.

And, why would the tenants p**s in the elevators and the hallways? Why would they do this? Mess up their own living places? Maybe people that do this do not live there and sneak through the unlocked front doors to do this? Maybe now that p**sing in public is not illegal anymore will keep the elevators and hallways cleaner and spare them getting used as toilets?

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 06-13-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i grew up in the woodside housing projects. we are talking 50 years ago.

i remember my dad had week end gigs as a drummer on top of his postal pay as a clerk and they found out he made 20-30 bucks a week over the limit and booted us.
No reason to boot you. Why would they? Instead of raising his rent a bit?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
True, it's the bad apples that ruin it for all.

And, why would the tenants p**s in the elevators and the hallways? Why would they do this? Mess up their own living places? Maybe people that do this do not live there and sneak through the unlocked front doors to do this? Maybe now that p**sing in public is not illegal anymore will keep the elevators and hallways cleaner and spare them getting used as toilets?
For the millionth time, this isn't true

Old 06-14-2016, 04:50 AM

196 posts, read 330,228 times
Isn't it base off ur income

My aunt make 80k a year running a daycare off her apartment and pay $1200 for a 2 bedroom

Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
$200 probably
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City