Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM

107 posts, read 198,300 times

Advertisements

I live in a three family house on Staten Island. The landlord is currently in the process of converting the livingroom to a bedroom which he will rent. This is a conversion of the original floor plan and will leave the house without a common space. How do I know if this is legitimate or not? The landlord is completely absent--haven't seen her in over six months--and has various "helpers" overseeing this.

And who can I report my landlord to if the conversion is illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I live in a three family house on Staten Island. The landlord is currently in the process of converting the livingroom to a bedroom which he will rent. This is a conversion of the original floor plan and will leave the house without a common space. How do I know if this is legitimate or not? The landlord is completely absent--haven't seen her in over six months--and has various "helpers" overseeing this.

And who can I report my landlord to if the conversion is illegal?
Any sort of construction work on a property requires a permit, regardless of who will and won't live there. No permit = illegal. If he's going to rent out that living room, as long as it has a window and is heated it's perfectly legal to rent out.

As for your losing a common space, there is nothing in the law about that. It all comes down to what your lease says, if there's no provision for a common space then you don't have a leg to stand on

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Thanks for this. Is there any way to tell on the certificate of occupancy how many people can legally live at a certain address? With the conversion we have between 11 and 15. It's a very month-to-month kind of set up with lots of people passing through...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this. Is there any way to tell on the certificate of occupancy how many people can legally live at a certain address? With the conversion we have between 11 and 15. It's a very month-to-month kind of set up with lots of people passing through...
Sounds like a lot people for one house. I don't know the rules but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you what the deal is

Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Anybody?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Anybody?
Make a complaint on the 311 web site and follow up.
Keep making complaints. Each one needs to receive a response.
Don't be subtle. The building department is not great. HPD is far better.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Make a complaint on the 311 web site and follow up.
Keep making complaints. Each one needs to receive a response.
Don't be subtle. The building department is not great. HPD is far better.
I think you're missing the point. The guy is itching to call 311, he just needs to know what he's supposed to be saying to them

Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I think you're missing the point. The guy is itching to call 311, he just needs to know what he's supposed to be saying to them
Dangerous conditions in the house, over-crowding, illegal fire egress. Burdens on electrical. "Change in use or egress."

Illegal renting. If the house is being used for significant rental income rather than private residential there are taxes involved.

What's the zoning ?

And so on.

People can basically call 311, very upset, and read a list of the conditions.
The OP should not be afraid of over-stating; on the contrary.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM

311 is the best way to go about this? Their hold times are like root canals. Is the certificate of occupancy on record somewhere I can access...the more I think about this, the more I think this is illegal...could I just call FDNY to have them come inspect?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 PM

Ok, I just looked up the certificate of occupancy. It's from 1948. It's a two-family residence on the 1st and 2nd floors (A1-1 family dwelling). The cellar, which is occupied now by four people, is marked as heating and storage. The attic, which is occupied by two more people, is marked as unoccupied. Again, there are about 15 people living here. There are no open permits though the roof is being repaired. (It was leaking water onto an interior staircase for five months.)

Any more thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City