Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,877 times

Advertisements

Last edited by klatuss; 08-03-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 11:03 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Just one of the reasons we tell our kids do not go out without at least some money. Always have money with you even if you don't need it and are using plastic.

If for no other reason many atms and machines were out after events like sandy and 9/11

Old 08-03-2014, 11:07 AM

112 posts, read 131,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatuss View Post
Good afternoon,

Two days ago I was with some colleagues from work on happy hour. Around 12am I decided it was time to go home and cached a yellow cab to take me home.

Midway through the trip I noticed that the bartender forgot to give me my debit card and said to myself “Oh my god! I forgot my debit card!” (The cab fare was around $25 dollars). When the cab driver heard me, he pulled aside, started cursing at me, and said how he hated people that did not wanted to pay. I told him I didn’t have any money because I didn’t had forgotten my debit card but if he could take me home because my wife could come out of the apartment and pay with her debit card. He didn’t respond to me and called the police. Not knowing what to do, I also called 911 and spoke with the 911 dispatcher that the cab driver did not wanted to take me home and that there was a misunderstanding and what could I do to resolve the problem . The 911 dispatcher spoke with the driver and I did not understand what they said amongst themselves. However, he passed my cell phone back to me and the 911 dispatcher said that I should speak with the police and try to explain.

When the police came they told me to get out, I said “yes sir!” Got out and they immediately handcuffed me. I was immediately taken to the precinct. I was polite and was never told why I was arrested. They put me in the precinct jail, took my fingerprints, and got out in 3 hours.
I was given a Desk Appearance Ticket for PL 165.15 03. I’m afraid of getting a criminal record. I feel that the cab driver wanted me to get arrested and was not given a chance by the cop to write the cab’s driver number and explain. The next day I had 3 beer charges from the bar ($15) where my debit card was left and was going to talk to the manager that if they can back up my claim that my debit card was indeed left. I will consult with a criminal lawyer Monday but I needed to rant because I haven't been able to sleep for two days thinking about this.
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, but before you get into a cab, you should always check to ensure that you have adequate cash or a credit/debit card on hand to pay the anticipated fare. It is not the cab driver's responsibility to drive you around town in search of your missing or lost debit card.

-However, given the circumstances, it wasn't a good idea to inform the driver of your predicament. You should have called your wife and asked her to meet you outside of your apartment building. Upon arriving, you could have casually asked her to go upstairs and get her debit card, because you forgot your card at the bar. I'm sure the driver wouldn't have called the police, especially if you offered to tip him for the minor "inconvenience."

Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Forgot the debit card at the bar, huh? Okay. I believe you.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,877 times

Last edited by klatuss; 08-03-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Just one of the reasons we tell our kids do not go out without at least some money. Always have money with you even if you don't need it and are using plastic.

If for no other reason many atms and machines were out after events like sandy and 9/11
I tend to keep $50 in my wallet for emergency purposes, in the event that I can't use my debit or credit card.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatuss View Post
It was an honest mistake. I really thought I had my card but it was at the bar. I'm not the type of person to do this. I can even prove I had a lot of money in the bank and also have a good job. I have the bar charges posted in my credit card statement on the day I was arrested.
Why do you suppose the driver wasn't interested in dropping you back off at the bar or at your house, to recoup the payment for cab fare?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
There is something missing from this story. Driver lost more money waiting for police. OP must have been abusive or drunk or both.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
it wasn't a good idea to inform the driver of your predicament. You should have called your wife and asked her to meet you outside of your apartment building. Upon arriving, you could have casually asked her to go upstairs and get her debit card, because you forgot your card at the bar. I'm sure the driver wouldn't have called the police, especially if you offered to tip him for the minor "inconvenience."
Better: text her to meet you at the curb with a credit/debit card or some cash. The cabbie would ignore the bathrobe/curlers (I'm dating myself!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
There is something missing from this story.
You think? How about the police immediately arresting the OP, without asking for details, or whether the spouse was close by with the ability to pay?

Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
There is something missing from this story.
Another Just Worlder heard from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City