Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times

Advertisements

You may be able to appeal to TAB (Transit Adjudication Bureau) in Brooklyn, where you are supposed to make the payment (is the address on the ticket?), though you may not win the appeal unless you have good reason.
I heard there is a 2-week crackdown on cyclists this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 AM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Default Laws are just words

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What world are you living in?

At least in NYC the NYPD pulls both drivers and bicyclists to the side of the street/road. This could be the shoulder or the extreme left or right (turning) lanes. You just drive around same as one does for taxis, delivery trucks and anyone or else standing in said lane. NYPD will instruct cyclists to the curb or onto the sidewalk as well. So that blows up your theory.

Function of all LE is to enforce the laws as written. If you have a beef with this or that statue then take it up with those in charge of writing and passing same. While it is true LE officers do have some discretion when it comes to low offences, I shouldn't rely upon receiving such benefits all the time. Far better to simply obey the laws and be done.

It is the people who enforce the laws who are responsible for the laws. If a group of people sitting in a capital building make a law all it is is arbitrary words. They finish and go home to their families. Cops actually go on the streets and point guns at people to kidnap them or terrorize them. Just following orders or doing their jobs is no excuse. If the law is a bad law, an immoral one and unconstitutional one, one that targets people who hurt no one then it is their responsibility not to enforce it. If the legislature passed a law saying people couldn't drink water or they would be arrested, would you say the police should enforce those words because a group of people in the legislature said so? It is not so remote either considering alcohol was banned and people were arrested for drinking it during prohibition. Even today people are still arrested and sent to prison for life for possessing a leaf a plant. That's wrong and its the cops who arrest people who are culpable as well as anyone else down the line who has the power to say no to absurdity.

Whether it's pulling people over with the threat of force to give them a ticket or arresting them for something that isn't a real crime, that's wrong.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
I doubt very much that the officer in this case pointed a gun at him.

You are making a false equivocation in this case. You are also ignoring the fact that blowing a red light IS a public safety issue and therefore is a sensible, fineable offense!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I dunno. Probably. I don't stop for red lights on my bike. If I was going to stop for red lights I'd get a car

;-)
Then you are being stupid. Do you want to be a hood ornament? Quit running lights, it makes us law abiding types look bad.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM

314 posts, read 547,346 times
Basically I could care less if they add additional fees, etc. The only thing I am concerned about is having a warrant placed for my arrest.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
it's bratton's "broken windows" policing going on. any little infraction will cost you in this city.
Exactly. I've been running red lights to my hearts content in other cities for years. Get off at Penn Station, ride 2 miles, and boom! It's a joke

Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
You may be able to appeal to TAB (Transit Adjudication Bureau) in Brooklyn, where you are supposed to make the payment (is the address on the ticket?), though you may not win the appeal unless you have good reason.
I heard there is a 2-week crackdown on cyclists this time.
No chance, I'll already have left the city by then

Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
I would just pay this ticket. You don't want any headaches later. Its just not worth it to not pay it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
if your not from here, i wouldn't pay the ticket.
Id throw it out and call it a day.

imagine, points on your license, that you dont even have. LOL, its laugheable.

this is NYC, anything to squeeze money out of the public.
+1

F these A Holes.

I gave up riding my bicycle here anymore. Too many noobies on the road too many city bikes too many pedi cabs too many idiots on cell phones threats of ticketing. I also gave up on gyms here....too many douche bag yuppies and "me" type people.

I can barely walk on the side walk without getting run over by people bikes or cars.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I think it's about time they started ticketing bicyclists. You want to share the road with cars? Then obey the traffic laws like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City