Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Parents in America are too overprotective, in my country parents would send their kids to get groceries at age 8 or 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
parents are getting overly protective and fussy about their children safety nowadays.

believe it or not, despite the scary crime reports here and there, nyc is probably much safer than ever in its history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Seriously? Does your child ever leave the house? My parents let us take the LIRR into the city and then the public transit at HS age, in the 1960s, when it was ratty.
Percentage wise, you are right. But a child is such an easy target that I don't fault any parent for not letting their kids out alone until their mid teens. Most parents in the US feel that way, which means the kids that are allowed out are even bigger targets since there's less of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
My husband and I are at loggerheads on this issue. The daughter in question is almost 16, and the trip would be on a NYC bus, 20 minutes total with one transfer, during daylight hours (anywhere between 3-6pm) in a reasonably safe neighborhood. She wouldn't have to cross any streets. I am fine with it, he is not.

I was taking public transportation alone (not NYC) at age 15 and NYC public transportation at age 17. He was taking NYC public transportation alone from age 12 or 13. But I guess these days parents are more protective??

thanks for your input.
A 16 year old who is mature enough should be allowed to take public transportation within reasonable safe areas within NYC.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I had to take the public bus to and from junior high school and high school, starting at age 9. I was allowed to take the express bus to Manhattan by myself starting at 15, and then the subway at 16 (I was starting college by then so I really had to). This was in the North Bronx in the 1970s.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
FYI,

I started riding subways alone at 8! This was during the 70s! Rode from my godfather's house in Crown Heights (shuttle at Park Place) to church in Sheepshead Bay! (D, M, Q to Neck Road or Sheepshead). I got an early jump on how to use the subways, and the experience gave me a great sense of direction!

With that said, I would not advise anyone to ride that young! However, kids are riding subways to school at pre-adolescence! (age 12, which was when I rode to junior high school).

16 should be a very good enough, and well over an old-enough age, to ride the subways. As a precaution, always ride in the conductor car. There's no guarantee nothing would not happen, but being near the conductor gets you quicker help if something does! Good luck!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I started taking the bus when I was 11. My school was not in a very good area, but by the time you're 11 you have basic knowledge of not getting yourself into bad situations

Parents in America are too overprotective, in my country parents would send their kids to get groceries at age 8 or 9. This was late 90s/early 00s too, Moscow was much more dangerous back then
I was walking to school 2 miles each way from age 7 on up... but that wasn't in a city.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not crazy for thinking my teenage daughter should be ok on an MTA bus. But as has been mentioned the "after school" crowd can get rowdy though this daughter has never been a target of any kind of hostility.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I was walking to school 2 miles each way from age 7 on up... but that wasn't in a city.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not crazy for thinking my teenage daughter should be ok on an MTA bus. But as has been mentioned the "after school" crowd can get rowdy though this daughter has never been a target of any kind of hostility.

hostility exposure for a kid's emotional/mental growth is equivalent to germ/vaccine exposure to a kid's immune system, timing is important. you can insulate a kid from germs in a pathogen-free cage to avoid getting sick, but you know that you are really depriving the kid of developing a healthy self-defense system that will benefit them life long. learn to let them grow naturally and do not hold them back unnecessarily.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
11 or 12.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I took PT at age 14 bus and train to Brooklyn Tech, in the early 70's.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I started when I was 11 (6 Grade)

Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Got my first school subway pass in the 5th grade. Back then it was a piece of paper with some sort of hologram on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City