Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now, if "high art" doesn't appeal to you, that's not NYC's fault. But if you think it's lost it's uniqueness, wait until you try a city where all anyone does is go to malls.
What is he looking for night clubs ,bars and restaurants? New York lacks these today vs the 80's or 90's?

Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM

191 posts, read 220,702 times
Yea many do not appreciate the modernization of NYC, they feel nostalgic about bygone eras, I for one don't miss those decades, the city was pure hell back then.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM

274 posts, read 298,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
An old, out of touch billionaire relic transplant was voted in as mayor for 12 years and turned it into what it is now.
But he was a major Liberal. I thought you Democrats love Liberals?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I think a lot of the opining for "old New York" has a lot to do with people who are middle aged and up, looking back fondly on their youth. Of course things were cooler in 1986, you were 21.
I agree. I have wistful memories of the late 80's/90's New York because that was when I was young and carefree but I know NYC wasn't all that back then with the fenced up parks, squalor, garbage, muggings, etc., and I can only imagine how bad the 70's were. Objectively, I don't miss that part of NYC. Just my youth.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAbtZXu2RU

Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
The old NYC, all though a bit unsafe, was filled with character and places like CBGB's made it something special.

As a military veteran I've lived in 6 different states and 1 European country. I still miss the northeast at times, I was born and raised an hour north of NYC.

I think ever since 9/11, I'm not sure if NYC could ever really be the same anyway.

Manhattan is a job creator I would presume and the young folks fresh out of college come to have their shot at whatever it is they are pursuing, some find it while others don't.

For me being an ex-New Yorker I miss it mostly at Christmas time. Shopping at Macy's, the window displays, thanksgiving parade, movies like miracle on 34th street, that's what I miss most about no longer living in the northeast.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
OP, you're a little young to be in the nostalgia mode, though maybe it's starting earlier than it used to these days. I see people no older than you on youtube lamenting over closed malls and wishing for the old days. I suppose they are wishing for the more carefree days of their youth and realizing being adult isn't always fun.

Now if you're looking for more excitement move over to zip code 48205. There are very few whites in that zip, so I'm sure you will see that as a plus. Send us a card.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I agree. I have wistful memories of the late 80's/90's New York because that was when I was young and carefree but I know NYC wasn't all that back then with the fenced up parks, squalor, garbage, muggings, etc., and I can only imagine how bad the 70's were. Objectively, I don't miss that part of NYC. Just my youth.
Again I still don't get what some are saying here.Did they have more night clubs ,bars and restaurants in the 80's and 90's? Is that want people are upset about? The lack of night clubs ,bars and restaurants?

Or is that the cost of living gone up so much that the working class moved out and now it the upper middle class working in accounts ,judges , lawyers,firms ,stock and business and you have nothing in comma with them.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeb View Post
I was in my late teens/ early 20s during the 80s. Definitely, a more interesting city back then. Mid 90s saw the beginning of the end.
NYC is SAFER than it was in the 1970s/80s. I first began riding the subway from Queens into Manhattan by myself in the late 1970s, at age 15. I attended NYU in the 1980s, and then worked in Manhattan for several years.

Manhattan was grittier back then, rougher, and sometimes scary. I remember Times Square with its grindhouse films, and Washington Square Park full of drug dealers.

Love him or hate him, Giuliani really did clean up NY. Now when I visit and ride the subway at 3 a.m., I don't feel at all threatened. I did feel nervous riding the subway in the late hours in the 1980s.

If that means NYC has "lost its soul," as another poster said, well, that's not an entirely bad thing. Though I do miss the grittier Times Square.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmike2020 View Post
- The subways! Graf everywhere, homeless people sleeping on every seat of every other car early in the morning in the wintertime, so if you were on the way to work or school from uptown or an outer borough, your early morning commute might have extra free entertainment- like watching hobos staring at women and masturbating in plain view in front of everybody, or maybe just pissing all over the train floors. Hard to get a seat when there's a pile of poop just right in the middle of it. Good times, good times.
Yeah, I too have those fond memories of my youth

In the 1980s, I was waiting for the train into Manhattan, at the Continental Avenue station in Forest Hills. It was early evening. Plenty of people on the platform. A bum was urinating against the stairs, his **** spreading across the platform. I looked at him, and he grinned back at me, still urinating for all the world to see.

I remember schizophrenics screaming in the subway car. One rush hour we were packed tight, and a fat sweaty man was screaming about his meds amid racial slurs. I saw plenty of screaming schizos on the subway.

Yup, I remember poo in the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City