Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

555 posts, read 617,324 times

Advertisements

ANyone live around there that can give me the lowdown on this area? Thinking about going to see a COndo there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
If you're used to the ghetto - by all means go ahead.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you're used to the ghetto - by all means go ahead.
It's actually not to live in, but to rent out and hope the area improves in the next 5-10 years.

Also considering one around Bergen st and Norstand ave... is that a better area?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
It's actually not to live in, but to rent out and hope the area improves in the next 5-10 years.

Also considering one around Bergen st and Norstand ave... is that a better area?
Yes, Bergen and Nostrand is a little better. Ralph Avenue wont gentrify in the next 5-10 years....give it 20

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2014, 04:53 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
5-10 years sounds too optimistic; I've been told by urban planning professor types "15" and Seventh Floor puts it in the 20's.

It's ghetto but small things are happening block-by-block. There are some dividing north-south streets to consider. On Prospect Place, Utica to Buffalo is milder than Buffalo to Ralph. That large, abandoned hospital (St. Mary's) at Prospect Place/Buffalo is supposed to become a nursing home; if so, helpful to the neighborhood. It could bring you potential tenants who work there. It'd increase demand for services in the neighborhood for the staff, visitors and even residents themselves if they are mobile by day.

Police have been assigned to more heavy duty walking coverage all over this part of Weeksville, since start of summer.

I can't compare it to Bergen/Nostrand, just do not know.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-01-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
I understand people want to make money in the RE business, but still sometimes the expected guarantee that a neighborhood will gentrify and they will reap all of the benefits still astounds me. OP, that place is the hood. Nothing more. Will property value rise? Most likely, it's NYC. Will it gentrify? Depends on the kind of gentrification, you're thinking of. Park Slope status? A damn long time. Fort Greene/Clinton Hill type? Maybe 2 to 3 decades, but that's only if it's a guarantee that this part of BK will gentrify.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I understand people want to make money in the RE business, but still sometimes the expected guarantee that a neighborhood will gentrify and they will reap all of the benefits still astounds me. OP, that place is the hood. Nothing more. Will property value rise? Most likely, it's NYC. Will it gentrify? Depends on the kind of gentrification, you're thinking of. Park Slope status? A damn long time. Fort Greene/Clinton Hill type? Maybe 2 to 3 decades, but that's only if it's a guarantee that this part of BK will gentrify.
I'm surprised by the tone of some of these comments, I've never been to the area, so I thought I'd create an account and ask before I wasted my time going to see it.

Why would that "astound" you?... the unit has a tax abatement until 2034 which means I would be paying only $170 per month in CC charges, so the rental income could be close to 2k per month.

If it's a bad area just say so, just seems the comments here are angry or snarky for no reason.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Re gentrification, today in Eastern Crown Heights:

Work commute: from Utica, 30 minute Express to Financial District; 15 to downtown Bkln. Bam.

To relax: Prospect Park, a few subway stops or green biketrail Eastern Pkwy to Grand Army. Nice.

What were people saying about Franklin St. or Washington (Western CH) 10 years ago? Crap.

ECH has the housing bones. Proximity (1 mile) to a rich neighborhood, which IS an important gentrification variable nationwide-- not so much. Although maybe in NYC the MTA compresses that distance, idk. To say you can subway somewhere appealing in 10 minutes isn't same as walking over.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-02-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I'm surprised by the tone of some of these comments, I've never been to the area, so I thought I'd create an account and ask before I wasted my time going to see it.

Why would that "astound" you?... the unit has a tax abatement until 2034 which means I would be paying only $170 per month in CC charges, so the rental income could be close to 2k per month.

If it's a bad area just say so, just seems the comments here are angry or snarky for no reason.
You asked a question and presumably you got good answers from people who are at least somewhat familiar with the area. 90% of the answers were non-snarky and informative, yet instead of thanking anyone who gave you good info, you choose to complain about one sentence you found to be snarky/angry.

You should be grateful you got solid answers to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City